Why become a member? ×

Buying string action gauges and straightedge in the UK?

tremblap

I use a 24" steel rule edge on for checking relief on my basses, it's good for 21 frets on a 34" scale length bass. Available from good graphics suppliers. There might even be a 30" version available.

Edit: I've ordered from Stewmac before and the delivery was very prompt. Can't remember if I got hit with VAT, but since the items I bought were about half the best UK prices I'd found so I wouldn't have been worried if I was

Edited by BigRedX

Ive bought bits from US dealers and had EXCLLENT service on the whole, in fact some bits come quicker than from UK Allparts!

Try to keep the value down and it´ll come strght thru´,the best I´ve had is 4 days (fret file)!

You dont need a full length straight edge, and in some ways it makes it harder. 12-24" is fine and for levelling I use a proper 8" straight edge, just doing 3-4 frets at a time.

These things are available here. Feeler gauges - you can get them at auto places for people who want to time their own spark plugs. You can also find them variously in tool shops. Various steel rules or plasterer's edges can be found of various lengths at place like BnQ or Wickes. Are they cheaper? Don't know, probably. Go have a look. Stew Mac will use UPS and you may get charged import duty and VAT. You can do the sums. (or math, of you want to sound Yank)