Why become a member? ×

Valve Bass Head

Joshbasscana

Hey fellows,

Im after a new valve bass head (or maybe SS) and im wanting to spend up to 700 notes max. I currently have a Warwick 5.1 Tubepath which I love to bits. I am wanting to split my signal and have the clean running to my warwick head and my effects running to another bass head.
Can you recommend what I can look at getting? I've currently looked at another warwick 5.1, Ampeg SVT Pro3 but also some SS amps like GK 1001RB-II, Ampeg SVT 450H and some signature ashdown heads.
I look forward to your advice!

JBC

For that money i would say look in the second hand market, particularly if you are looking for 'all valve.' The SVT 3Pro has valves in the pre-amp and driver tubes, but the power amp is solid state. The 450H is all SS. I'm guessing th GK is SS too.

Does it have to be brand new? Otherwise I'd suggest looking for an Ampeg V4B, Marshall VBA400 Sound City 120 or 200, or Fender Bassman head. For that sort of money you have quite a lot of choice in old valve heads. If you could stretch to around £900 you could also start considering SVT's, Mesa 400's or even Fender Bassman 300pro's if you're really lucky.

As far as new ones go there is the new Laney one, dunno how much it is though. The Marshall VBA400 can actually be found new for about £740 so is well worth checking out if you're really set on a new amp.

I don't know about in the last few months but you used to find Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ heads for about £6-700 on Ebay occasionally before they announced the production run would be finishing. Really great amp, the one I had was very reliable (and very heavy!). After a couple of Basschat owners, I think Tayste has it now. Mesa Boogie also made a much less popular Buster 200 wedge combo which might actually prove to be better value.

There is a Trace Elliot V6 for sale in the Basschat Market Place as well which was around that price range and that would be well worth looking into. Just make sure you check the output valves out before you buy on any valve amp, complete replacement of a set can be expensive.

I had a look at a Trace V4 combo like Ped's a couple of weeks ago after the guy tried selling it on Ebay. Half the output valves were dead and the other half were on their way out. I walked away from it, but it was a bloody nice amp. I can see why Ped likes his so much.

Caveat: I don't like grindy sounding valve amps. :)

[quote name='Joshbasscana' post='106374' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:06 AM']Actually, looking at the ampeg V4B - i played that once at a gig and i loved it! So much punch and grit. I'll defo keep my eyes out for one of those :huh:[/quote]

Keep your eyes peeled for the V4 (no :) guitar version - it's pretty much identical but without the useless 'ultra low' switch which just translates to 'ultra mud'.

Where are you based by the way? Might be worth a visit to some well stocked shops and maybe a few basschatters will have amps you can try (I have a GK700rb and an Ampeg V4 so that'd be two off your list!).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='106378' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:10 AM']Mesa Boogie also made a much less popular Buster 200 wedge combo which might actually prove to be better value.

Caveat: I don't like grindy sounding valve amps. :)[/quote]

They made a buster head too - not sure if it ever made it to this side of the pond though, rare as hens teeth as it is.

Agreed, Trace valve amps are to be avoided if you want grindy, unless it's one of the older ones with the SMX pre-amp and a low powered (100w ish) output stage that you can drive.

[quote]I had a look at a Trace V4 combo like Ped's a couple of weeks ago after the guy tried selling it on Ebay. Half the output valves were dead and the other half were on their way out. I walked away from it, but it was a bloody nice amp. I can see why Ped likes his so much.[/quote]

I do miss that amp :) Although I'm glad that it's gone to a good home.

However, I don't miss the weight of it!

You know, it doesn't necessarily have to be an amp where the signal can break up and grind like an original SVT. I like the tubepath 5.1 that i have - i love the warm tone. I want a similiar amp but run my effects line through it.

Im based in Sheffield - if you could let me know where there are well stocked shops/places, i really would love to just try out some amps and get a better idea of what I need

JBC

Edited by Joshbasscana

Well, that is an interesting way of looking at it. It's funny you should mention guitar amps - I did some session work with a rickenbacker and a Fender twin and got some seriously gritty distortion.
I wont be getting full bottom bass though with guitar amps will I? Im just totally open to suggestions :) Im defintely going to look into guitar amps for sho

JBC

I'm not sure you actually need a 2nd amp to do what (I think) you're wanting to do.

Would you not get the same result by splitting the signal, one going into your Warwick's main input and the other going directly into your effects, and then plug the last effect directly into the Warwick's "FX Loop return" socket? I don't know the Tubepath specifically but often the FX loop return circuit is post-EQ.

So you'd be able to EQ your clean sound on the Tubepath and if your last effect was a preamp pedal (Sansamp BDDI?) or graphic EQ pedal for instance, EQ your effected signal seperately. Both signals would be recombined in your Tubepath before it's main poweramp stage. You'd have exactly the same end result as two separate amps but without the expense/transportation and stage footprint problems.

Also it can sound odd having two different bass sounds coming from two locations on stage. I know, I ran my Rickenbacker in stereo that way for a while. I had the effects on one signal path (top cab) and a clean sound on the other (bottom cab) but because my head was nearer the top cab so I heard a very different balance to what was heard out front. Now I use a minimixer to blend the two signals back together before sending to the poweramp.

Not saying don't buy a 2nd amp, I just think you might want to consider an alternative before spending lots of hard-earned :)

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for that input man. I didn't realise the fx loop was post EQ - this is very handy to know and will have a little demo sesh and see what sounds i can come up - a gem of an idea if I do say so myself.
Im going to put your idea to the test, but also get my guitarist fender deville, split the signal and see what sounds i can get. Yo the man,

JBC

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='106378' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:10 AM']Mesa Boogie also made a much less popular Buster 200 wedge combo which might actually prove to be better value.[/quote]

I've got a Mesa/Boogie Buster 200 wedge combo & it is bloody fantastic - wonderful all valve tone & LOUD for a 2x10. Highly recommended. Everyone that hears it goes mad for the tone...
There was one on eBay recently - so they do appear every now & again even though Mesa/Boogie don't make them anymore...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='G-bitch' post='106480' date='Dec 19 2007, 02:05 PM']They made a buster head too - not sure if it ever made it to this side of the pond though, rare as hens teeth as it is.

Agreed, Trace valve amps are to be avoided if you want grindy, unless it's one of the older ones with the SMX pre-amp and a low powered (100w ish) output stage that you can drive.[/quote]

You're right about the Buster head (& cabs) - a mythical beast indeed - I suspect they never even imported them into the UK....
I'd love one if any has one!

[quote name='Joshbasscana' post='106591' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:25 PM']Steve,

Thanks for that input man. I didn't realise the fx loop was post EQ - this is very handy to know and will have a little demo sesh and see what sounds i can come up - a gem of an idea if I do say so myself.
Im going to put your idea to the test, but also get my guitarist fender deville, split the signal and see what sounds i can get. Yo the man,

JBC[/quote]

Hope it works for you :) Even if the FX loop turned out to be pre-EQ you'd be able to compensate on your FX line with an EQ pedal. Guitar combo's can also be great for recording with when you're not having to drive them too hard to get stage filling volume.

Have fun!

[quote name='Joshbasscana' post='106350' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:34 AM']Hey fellows,

Im after a new valve bass head (or maybe SS) and im wanting to spend up to 700 notes max. I currently have a Warwick 5.1 Tubepath which I love to bits. I am wanting to split my signal and have the clean running to my warwick head and my effects running to another bass head.
Can you recommend what I can look at getting? I've currently looked at another warwick 5.1, Ampeg SVT Pro3 but also some SS amps like GK 1001RB-II, Ampeg SVT 450H and some signature ashdown heads.
I look forward to your advice!

JBC[/quote]

700 notes is how much in American? I'd always go for SVT myself. Why go for copies, when you can get the original?

Or stick a Trace V6 in front of your guitar player and you can both fight over it.
Plenty of tone control to allow solid guitar sounds.
Or take both - yours with the 2x15 and his (hers?) through the 4x12.
You simply cannot get that much sound/tone/presence/weight out of anything else at £1k per rig.
Whew!
And you get to drive the drummer NUTS!