Why become a member? ×

treble boosters

kneal6

[quote name='kneal6' post='106351' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:39 AM']I've never tried one but I'm interested: do they do anything useful on bass? Would it be worth getting one to boost the top-end while tapping, or am I better off just having new strings all the time?[/quote]

I use a [b]DOD FX87 'Psycho Acoustic Processor'[/b](?!) or later known as (equally ludricrously named) 'Edge'
Discontinued now, but they do pop up on ebay, for not that much. Paid a tenner for mine.
Basically, a crude one knob exciter pedal, nothing as sophisticated as Aphex etc.

Though I'm not a [i]tapper[/i], & personally prefer sound of dead strings, there are times when I want a bit of that 'zing' for solo/lead-ish bits, to bring bass up a bit without overpowering, or altering the band mix. In effect makes my bass, sound like it's got new set strings, with almost slight harmonics behind the notes. Not really a fan of compressors for anything other than recording, so it works for me.... :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually got a cheap EQ pedal at home so I'll give that a go. I don't really understand how a compressor could be what I'm after though. There's one on my head but I never really used it, it was good for making notes sustain for ages though! Never saw a need for a compressor outside of recording, I prefer controlling the dynamics myself rather than having everything squashed up. Can someone suggest some settings?

I like to use limiting to give a nice consistent level for the soundman. I use compression for sustain and attack and such.

I have a Digitech dual band comp, which would work very well, also for the sound i am IMAGINING you want. I think it's called "bass squeeze" and deffinitely worth a look.

However - I don't really know why people suggested a compressor either. Any kind of enhancer would probably help.

Your EQ pedal will surely do the same as a treble booster if you set it right.

Ok I shall explain my opinion on this.

Treble boosters firstly they only boost treble obviously but it's guitar freq treble so firstly not ideal for bass. As it doesn't boost anything but treble the whole sound becomes thin and weedy particuarly since some cut bass out. So my overall opinion is they just sound terrible.

Compressor this will even out your sound make it sound sweeter if you will. Make the louder things quieter and the quieter things louder so everything is more of the same volume which is ideal in tapping. Compressors also tend to boost harmonic content so again this makes tapping sound really good.

EQ pedal if you go this route and set it just to boost the treble it will have all the short comings of a treble booster only no bass loss, so then if you boost the bass then you get a scooped sound so then you boost your mids as those help in tapping and then you might as well have just turned up your amp.

Personally I use a boost pedal it qive it an extra zing and stuff but its there to make the tapping as loud if not louder than fingerstyle but it is a full range boost, something like the Fulltone Fat Boost would be great though my personal fav is always the Tone Factor Cream Pie.

So to wrap this up the best way to make tapping louder and better is to practice :huh: and you should always have a compressor on :)

Yeh, I love compression, but I don't tap much, so don't really know what's required.

I feel that for a rock/pop band (I don't know what music you're playing) you should always use quite a lot of compression, or a little compression and quite a bit of limiting. I always hate seeing a band where the bassist is going mad but you can't hear what he's playing 'cos his dynamics are all over the place.

I find it weird when people say "I only like compression for recording". My sound on disk is less compressed than my live sound. When i'm playing live, I want to ensure consistency in level so that it's easy for the soundman, and so I always cut through. In the studio, I want the dynamics of my playing to come accross more.