Why become a member? ×

Upgrading Aria pro 2 SLB2a

Moogman

Recently my Aria bass has been dusted off and all other basses put to the side as I love the the way this bass plays. I want to do a few mods/upgrades to it over the next couple of months to fix a few things but mainly to improve the sound.

Its a lefty for starters but I have found that WD music are quite good for things like machine heads. Could anyone spec me some good pups and a bridge that will do the job?.

I'm looking for machine heads, pick ups and a new bridge.

I would take it to my local shop but they seem to over charge on parts and then slap £15 ph on that as well.

Cheers.

Greetings,

Upgrading the tuners is a good call, as the Aria "Gotoh" variant can be a bit troublesome. Real Gotoh tuners should plop straight in.

As to the rest, check the string spacing first. A lot of older Arias have quite narrow string spacings that might limit your choice.

What pickups are in at the moment (if they're inna Jazz stylee I might be able to help).

Pete.

Thanks for your reply. I see your into your Arias which is cool they are great basses. I have just ordered some tuners from WD music online should be with me in the new year.

As for the bridge I'm not to sure what I am going to do with that. Just measured it up and it has a 19mm string spacing which I dont know wether thats good or not?.

The bass has a split style p bass pick up and a Jazz style pick up which came with the bass and just have the Aria logo on them. Its an active bass, I love the neck and the way it plays but things on it are starting to get worn on it like the tuners and the electrics/pots are starting to go.

Cheers for your help.

Bob :)

Greetings,

I think 19mm is pretty standard, so you should have a wide choice. Ditto the same for pickups - there's more than one choice for an active P/J setup.

I've noticed that the tuners fitted post 1982 ish are prone to wear - the best set on any of mine are the [i]very[/i] HappyShopper tuners fitted to my TSB-400:

25 trouble-free years & counting.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe