Why become a member? ×

WTB EUB with substantial skeleton frame

Beedster

Hi Folks

I've cut and pasted a link to a trade/PX thread below. Although a trade/PX would be preferable, I'd also be interested in an outright purchase of the approriate instrument

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='944702' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:37 PM']Hi all

I have an Aria SWB which seems to be a pretty good EUB. Having taken up DB in a big way recently however I'm finding that I'm all over the body on the DB, and whilst the skeleton on the Aria is very light and easy to fit/remove, I really need the feel of a VERY solid instrument upper bout (is that the correct term?) against my upper chest/shoulder to allow the EUB and DB to feel similar to play, which is my objective. So, I'm looking for an EUB with a substantial, but ideally removable, heavy-duty body skeleton. It doesn't need to be the whole body, although I'd prefer this, but it will need to have a very solid skeleton on the upper right side of the instrument as you play it. I play DB whenever possible, so the EUB is backup in most cases and only first choice when there's not enough room for the big fella. In short, I'm not looking for £5k's worth of state of the art kit here! In fact, the instrument in John's thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51894&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51894&hl=[/url] would be perfect.

I'd value the Aria at around £450-500 (used price) so would be prepared to put cash in for a more expensive instrument or trade for one of approximately the same used price. I guess if someone wanted to buy the Aria that would be a possibility to, but I'd need to find a replacement before I let it go.

Stock picture is below. Mine's in the same colour scheme.

[attachment=58047:aria_swb_lite_03.jpg]

Thanks folks

Chris[/quote]

Edited by Beedster

You haven't given up your Precisions have you Chris - I don't think Hell's frozen over just yet?

Have you thought of keeping the Aria if you feel it plays OK, then making (or having made) a removable frame to give you the shoulder you really need. It could end up as something quite simple you just clamp on.

Edited by henry norton

Hi Chris,
Have you spoken to John about this as it was up for sale a short while ago.....
I went to see Jerry Rulph, the maker of these Superlight bases and they are superb payers, in both tona and realistice representation of sound......I have a clifton myself, but at the moment its a keeper!!

[quote name='Beedster' post='945934' date='Sep 5 2010, 09:53 AM']Hi Folks

I've cut and pasted a link to a trade/PX thread below. Although a trade/PX would be preferable, I'd also be interested in an outright purchase of the approriate instrument

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

[quote name='henry norton' post='945971' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:28 AM']You haven't given up your Precisions have you Chris - I don't think Hell's frozen over just yet?

Have you thought of keeping the Aria if you feel it plays OK, then making (or having made) a removable frame to give you the shoulder you really need. It could end up as something quite simple you just clamp on.[/quote]

Well I haven't given up, but they're not getting played much as the mo'! Yes, I ahd thought of getting a custom skeleton made, but I think it would be quite expensive and might require modifying the instrument. It might simply be easier to trade it in for an EUB that's already got one?

[quote name='supabock' post='946002' date='Sep 5 2010, 11:25 AM']Hi Chris,
Have you spoken to John about this as it was up for sale a short while ago.....
I went to see Jerry Rulph, the maker of these Superlight bases and they are superb payers, in both tona and realistice representation of sound......I have a clifton myself, but at the moment its a keeper!![/quote]

[quote name='slobluesine' post='946149' date='Sep 5 2010, 01:34 PM']yup that would be my Superlight, simply the best EUB on the market imo, i'm using mine all the time these days

clip here... [attachment=58169:lowdowndog.mp3][/quote]

Thanks guys, I'm keeping an eye on these at present.

Chris

Chris...get a Clifton! But don't talk to Mo about Pbasses..." 'orrible 'eavy things etc etc"

Seriously, the Clifton is one of few that allows you to go back to an acoustic without any drastic changes - close your eyes and its just like playing an acoustic - even the obstacles are there. The sound depends on your pickup/string choices, but can be very old fashioned upright, if that makes sense?

[quote name='slobluesine' post='947022' date='Sep 6 2010, 11:14 AM']trade you my Superlight for that old LPB Precision thing with some cash my way, good deal or what!!![/quote]

Mmmmmm

[quote name='BassBod' post='947242' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:31 PM']Chris...get a Clifton! But don't talk to Mo about Pbasses..." 'orrible 'eavy things etc etc"

Seriously, the Clifton is one of few that allows you to go back to an acoustic without any drastic changes - close your eyes and its just like playing an acoustic - even the obstacles are there. The sound depends on your pickup/string choices, but can be very old fashioned upright, if that makes sense?[/quote]

I've been looking around, they don't seem to come up much, a good sign!

Look out for a 2nd hand [url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses/SLB-100.html"]Slb 100[/url]

they feel exactly like a 3/4 bass but the sound lets it down (except for headphone use which is ok for silent practice!)

An easy fix tho', just fit an Underwood, (Dave Swift swears by Full Circle!) or pick up of your choice and your favourite strings and away you go.

Dave has two of these and could have one for sale, just contact him through his website, he's a friendly with a great collection of basses!

[quote name='supabock' post='947410' date='Sep 6 2010, 05:14 PM']Hey Chris, how much is your precision worth??[/quote]

It's not mine any more, it's been replaced by a beaten up '63 in 3tsb

[quote name='Clarky' post='947497' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:47 PM']I think Chris said in his FS thread he has agreed a trade with his LPB 64P and another (more mojo'd) 60s P bass.[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='947514' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:03 PM']Are you wanting it so you can do this?

[/quote]

No!

[quote name='BassBod' post='947492' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:41 PM']I smell a deal coming on.....hehehehe[/quote]

[quote name='BassBod' post='947522' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:10 PM']I'll never be able to keep track.....[/quote]

That's a pretty fair comment :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='947839' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:41 AM']Look out for a 2nd hand [url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses/SLB-100.html"]Slb 100[/url]

they feel exactly like a 3/4 bass but the sound lets it down (except for headphone use which is ok for silent practice!)

An easy fix tho', just fit an Underwood, (Dave Swift swears by Full Circle!) or pick up of your choice and your favourite strings and away you go.

Dave has two of these and could have one for sale, just contact him through his website, he's a friendly with a great collection of basses![/quote]

Many thanks, I've sent Dave an email, that does look exactly what I'm after

C

[quote name='Beedster' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:49 AM' post='949109']
It's not mine any more, it's been replaced by a beaten up '63 in 3tsb

Exactly!

No!

That's a pretty fair comment :)

Many thanks, I've sent Dave an email, that does look exactly what I'm after

C

I have a SLB 100 that I am considering parting with. Let me know if your interested.
Steve

[quote name='oldslapper' post='955864' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:39 AM']how's the mic working out?

John[/quote]

Hiya John
In a word, feedback! Having real problems. Get the mic close enough to the instrument to get a decent tone and it feeds back, far enough away to not feedback and the tone is poor plus it picks up other things! I think the real problem with it in this configuration is the lack of a volume control on the pre-amp, meaning I can't just roll off a little when problems start, I either have to leap over to my backline if using one (not easy with a FS), or rely on the soundguy. Can I ask how far from the body you placed the mic when it was working well for you?

Cheers

C

PS still looking for the big-skeleton bass by the way folks!

[quote name='Beedster' post='959488' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:23 PM']Hiya John
In a word, feedback! Having real problems. Get the mic close enough to the instrument to get a decent tone and it feeds back, far enough away to not feedback and the tone is poor plus it picks up other things! I think the real problem with it in this configuration is the lack of a volume control on the pre-amp, meaning I can't just roll off a little when problems start, I either have to leap over to my backline if using one (not easy with a FS), or rely on the soundguy. Can I ask how far from the body you placed the mic when it was working well for you?

Cheers

C

PS still looking for the big-skeleton bass by the way folks![/quote]

I point my Golden Bullet right at the nicks in the treble side "F" hole at about 45degrees to the body, but my combined bassmax / mic pre has 2 vol controls.
Can you borrow a volume pedal off a guitarist / keyboard player friend to try? Rufus Reid uses one IIRC.

Did you get a response from Dave Swift btw?

cheers
Keith

[quote name='Beedster' post='959488' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:23 PM']PS still looking for the big-skeleton bass by the way folks![/quote]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230526289037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]There's this on ebay[/url]

I think I remember seeing a lower bout for these on Alan's website in the past. He may have a few knocking around or can make one for you.
You might consider getting in touch with him about it if you're interested.

[quote name='TPJ' post='960132' date='Sep 18 2010, 08:11 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230526289037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]There's this on ebay[/url]

I think I remember seeing a lower bout for these on Alan's website in the past. He may have a few knocking around or can make one for you.
You might consider getting in touch with him about it if you're interested.[/quote]

Hiya mate
Thanks for that. It's a bit, well, ugly though isn't it :) Appreciate the heads up though, hope all's well
Chris

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='960024' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:10 PM']I point my Golden Bullet right at the nicks in the treble side "F" hole at about 45degrees to the body, but my combined bassmax / mic pre has 2 vol controls.
Can you borrow a volume pedal off a guitarist / keyboard player friend to try? Rufus Reid uses one IIRC.

Did you get a response from Dave Swift btw?

cheers
Keith[/quote]

Hiya Keith

Many thanks, funnily enough that's where things ended up last night so I guess great minds think alike eh! Although I couldn't really hear myself the guys said the sound was very toppy, and introducing some lows at the desk just introduced feedback, but i guess I'm going to have to do a lot of trial and error on this. I'm starting to see why the pros use both mics and PUPs!

Yes thanks, Dave and I are, I think, in ongoing negotiation (although my latest offer has yet to receive a response)!

Cheers

Chris