Why become a member? ×

Building a following: What works for you?

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='111604' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:25 PM']Being objctive is hard and getting good feedback is tough too as your mates won't want to tell you you are crap or your material is weak or you present it in a poor way. However if the evidence is there - ie no following - you need to ask them to be honest.[/quote]

Exactly... I have a certain few people I know who have a deep passion for music and are musicians. I ask for their critique, what worked, what didn't work and I reallt value that information. People who don't critique more often than not don't really care enough to.

People tell us that that we are good, and really go on about it, so I hope we are half-decent. But we know even after 3 years there's a lot to learn and a lot to try out. I was just talking to our bandleader about how much we've come since we've started.

One thing which I would impress on any band starting out is to network, network, network. I feel that we didn't do this early enough and we're playing catch up for a band that has been going for a while now. Ways to improve our network is one of our key objectives as a band, i.e. impressing the right people, spreading our gigs and hopefully fan base to outside London via universities and whatnot.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='111911' date='Jan 1 2008, 06:46 PM']Exactly... I have a certain few people I know who have a deep passion for music and are musicians. I ask for their critique, what worked, what didn't work and I reallt value that information. People who don't critique more often than not don't really care enough to.

People tell us that that we are good, and really go on about it, so I hope we are half-decent. But we know even after 3 years there's a lot to learn and a lot to try out. I was just talking to our bandleader about how much we've come since we've started.

One thing which I would impress on any band starting out is to network, network, network. I feel that we didn't do this early enough and we're playing catch up for a band that has been going for a while now. Ways to improve our network is one of our key objectives as a band, i.e. impressing the right people, spreading our gigs and hopefully fan base to outside London via universities and whatnot.[/quote]

Network, yes but ... only once you have done everything you can to maximise your your stage show, entertainment level and professionalism.
Generally speaking you only get one chance to impress people like that and if you can't be @rsed to work at it, why should they?
It is 2 million times harder to get "the right people" to give you a second chance than a first chance so sorting yourselves out first is essential.

[quote name='OldGit' post='111936' date='Jan 1 2008, 07:46 PM']Network, yes but ... only once you have done everything you can to maximise your your stage show, entertainment level and professionalism.
Generally speaking you only get one chance to impress people like that and if you can't be @rsed to work at it, why should they?
It is 2 million times harder to get "the right people" to give you a second chance than a first chance so sorting yourselves out first is essential.[/quote]

I suppose that is a very valid point, and I agree.

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread, with lots of good ideas so ta for that!

I don't think anyone has mentioned radio. Local radio stations will announce your gig if you ask them, and if they have a rock show they could well do an interview or session as well, and this could help get people in.

I have very little to add to this. Sadly, we're one of the many bands without a following. Reading this thread I found it strange that "obviously you'll still need 50 mates there" and "make sure your 75 mates only come to the most important gigs" seems to be common place. Now, I know i'm not the most popular guy in the world, but I did think I had a few good mates. How the hell do you guys get 50 or 75 friends to turn up to a gig?!? We do well if we get 25 mates to turn up!! Maybe our mates just don't like the band, but, they're still mates, and you think they'd turn up for the few important gigs we beg them to.

I should get some more friends!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='154473' date='Mar 10 2008, 12:50 PM']This is a great thread, with lots of good ideas so ta for that!

I don't think anyone has mentioned radio. Local radio stations will announce your gig if you ask them, and if they have a rock show they could well do an interview or session as well, and this could help get people in.

I have very little to add to this. Sadly, we're one of the many bands without a following. Reading this thread I found it strange that "obviously you'll still need 50 mates there" and "make sure your 75 mates only come to the most important gigs" seems to be common place. Now, I know i'm not the most popular guy in the world, but I did think I had a few good mates. How the hell do you guys get 50 or 75 friends to turn up to a gig?!? We do well if we get 25 mates to turn up!! Maybe our mates just don't like the band, but, they're still mates, and you think they'd turn up for the few important gigs we beg them to.

I should get some more friends![/quote]

Well we've kinda been round this a few times, me and Tom, but if your mates won't come to see you at "important" gigs then you have a problem to address., either your "availability" ie do you play too often for free in the same town? or the quality of your show or material, ie the entertainment value.