Why become a member? ×

Bassist on Jonathon Ross

kevbass

Hello, did anyone else see Friday Night with Jonathon Ross? They had a few musicians on and they did the number "Oh My God" by the Kaiser Chiefs. What intrigued me was at first glance it looked like the bass player (not the regular Kaiser chiefs player) was playing an old fender precision bass that appeared to have a chunk missing from the headstock, so I thought perhaps it was a custom made bass with a quirky styled headstock, but at closer glance it looked like the logo of the bass had been covered up with a strip of black tape. I wonder why he would do this, any suggestions?

[quote name='kevbass' post='108392' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:03 AM']Hello, did anyone else see Friday Night with Jonathon Ross? They had a few musicians on and they did the number "Oh My God" by the Kaiser Chiefs. What intrigued me was at first glance it looked like the bass player (not the regular Kaiser chiefs player) was playing an old fender precision bass that appeared to have a chunk missing from the headstock, so I thought perhaps it was a custom made bass with a quirky styled headstock, but at closer glance it looked like the logo of the bass had been covered up with a strip of black tape. I wonder why he would do this, any suggestions?[/quote]
I saw that too. Maybe he doesn't want Fender taking a pic of him and saying he uses Fenders? Maybe he has another endorsement deal? Could be a load of reasons.

Erm, wasn't it Stuart Zender?
Mark Ronson was on guitar, for sure.

I figured some BBC Anorak meassured the decal and decided that it constituted advertising, compelling Mr. Zender to cover the "F" logo with unsightly black Gaffer tape. I note Mr. Ronson's Gibson remained unmolested.

That, or it's a Squier :)

Or some P copy that isn't licensed!

Perhaps the bottom of his headstock will fall off if he untapes it?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='108412' date='Dec 23 2007, 05:56 AM']Erm, wasn't it Stuart Zender?

I figured some BBC Anorak meassured the decal and decided that it constituted advertising, compelling Mr. Zender to cover the "F" logo with unsightly black Gaffer tape. I note Mr. Ronson's Gibson remained unmolested.

Perhaps the bottom of his headstock will fall off if he untapes it?[/quote]

Yep, it was Stuart Zender with the Fender logo covered by black tape on the headstock but I don't believe it was to stop advertising for Fender. Jools Holland did the same thing to his Yamaha piano when Yamaha were being unbelievably dense at endorsing him earlier in his career. It's almost like a protest to the A&R guys who are sometimes a bit slow on the uptake on endorsement opportunities and actually not being in touch with the scene.

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='108412' date='Dec 23 2007, 05:56 AM']Erm, wasn't it Stuart Zender?

Perhaps the bottom of his headstock will fall off if he untapes it?[/quote]

Ah so thats who he was, I've always liked his playing in the early Jamiroquai albums, I've seen him once or twice but I didnt recognise him this time round. Perhaps if he didnt want fender to get free advertising why play their basses? If he's that bothered why not have a Luthier custom build him something with a blank headstock?

[quote name='SMART' post='108430' date='Dec 23 2007, 09:27 AM']Yep, it was Stuart Zender with the Fender logo covered by black tape on the headstock but I don't believe it was to stop advertising for Fender. Jools Holland did the same thing to his Yamaha piano when Yamaha were being unbelievably dense at endorsing him earlier in his career. It's almost like a protest to the A&R guys who are sometimes a bit slow on the uptake on endorsement opportunities and actually not being in touch with the scene.

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Alex Cox approached some food and drink company or other for product placement in Repo Man; they failed to come up with the goods so when Otto is seen drinking or eating from a can the logo reads 'Drink' or 'Food' respectively.

Happy holidays, y'all!

[quote name='Toasted' post='108515' date='Dec 23 2007, 12:31 PM']It's not a vanity thing - it's a contactual thing w/Warwick.[/quote]

Zender is no longer on ANY register or literature pertaining to Warwick (hasn't been for a while). Unless he is locked in some form of legal wrangling it isn't related to Warwick.

doesn't zender de-badge most of the ol' ampeg gear he's currently using as well? I'm not a massive follower of mr zender but from what I can tell he has had a massive turn around in the equipment he uses, from modern amps/basses in his older stuff to now using old fenders and valve gear so perhaps it is an endorsement issue. Someone should ask him i guess.

Edited by fusionbassist1

Cool, I thought it was Mr Z - re the taping over of logos on the Beeb - I think it's standard practice on any show, if you watch Jools' show all beer bottles are covered with sticky labels, I think it's the fact it's publicly funded and not allowed to advertise any brands - so the same applies to guitars and amps. This would still apply even if you are sponsored by a company - as far as I know Yamaha et al have no sway over the Beeb.

M

[quote name='urb' post='109401' date='Dec 26 2007, 10:00 AM']Cool, I thought it was Mr Z - re the taping over of logos on the Beeb - I think it's standard practice on any show, if you watch Jools' show all beer bottles are covered with sticky labels, I think it's the fact it's publicly funded and not allowed to advertise any brands - so the same applies to guitars and amps. This would still apply even if you are sponsored by a company - as far as I know Yamaha et al have no sway over the Beeb.

M[/quote]

Are you sure? I'm not saying you are wrong and I concur that beer bottles on Jool's show have labels over them but I can't say that I've ever noticed all branding on that show or the beeb as being blacked out! I've got an old episode of Later... on HD (and some other Beeb music programmes) with an hour to kill, I think I'll check that theory out.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='108563' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:30 PM']Zender is no longer on ANY register or literature pertaining to Warwick (hasn't been for a while). Unless he is locked in some form of legal wrangling it isn't related to Warwick.[/quote]

+1.

This is a quote from Stuart (from the Q&As at www.stuartzender.net)

[i]"...I find the older basses have more dirt and less of a clinical sound than the new ones, though there is some monstrous bottom end to be found on some of the newer models. I lean towards my trusty 64P-bass a lot these days. Its unfortunate what happened to my custom basses but this is through no fault of my own. I do hope that one day they may find themselves at an auction raising lots of money for a charity that would benefit some more deserved people rather than me or the current owners.
I bought my first Warwick before I joined the band and it was only after the success of the first album that I was approached by them.
I did use a variety of basses on all the albums. Alembic, Fender, Musicman, and Warwick were the basses used. I currently hold no sponsorship deals from any Bass Guitar or String companies."[/i]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='109408' date='Dec 26 2007, 10:31 AM']Are you sure? I'm not saying you are wrong and I concur that beer bottles on Jool's show have labels over them but I can't say that I've ever noticed all branding on that show or the beeb as being blacked out! I've got an old episode of Later... on HD (and some other Beeb music programmes) with an hour to kill, I think I'll check that theory out.[/quote]

Hey dood - i don't think it's all branding all the time but I think it's more along the lines of stuff that might be a last minute thing which is more likely to be required to be covered up on a 'live' program - both JR and JH shows are pre-recorded - but seeing as the brands on other shows - I imagine it's a similar thing as they do on Big Brother etc when a house mate sings a song - the producers have to get clearance to broadcast it and get royalties sorted out etc - the Beeb would most likely have to go through some legal stuff to show a MacBook on a makeover show for example - the BBC is a public service broadcaster (in theory) so can't be seen to advertise stuff blatantly - if anyone has a clearer version of this practice then please post something - but I'm pretty sure about the principals involved here. I have a well connected friend who can probably clarify this.

M