Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash Year 4, Surrey, 27th November 2010

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Well; it's been a long while and just because we've all got nothing better to do (yet again) and because we've been inspired by all the other totally brilliant Basschat Bashes around the country this year, we thought we just have to do another [b]Basschat South East Bash[/b] on [b]Saturday 27 November 2010[/b] for your enjoyment!! Here are the details:

[b]Date:[/b] Saturday 27 November 2010
[b]Time:[/b] 10am - 6pm
[b]Venue:[/b] Jubilee High School, Surrey, School Lane, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 1TE
[b]Venue link:[/b] [url="http://www.jubileehigh.surrey.sch.uk/gallery.asp?GID=5"]Jubilee High School Website[/url]
[b]Map link:[/b] [url="http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=504208&y=164434&z=0&sv=KT15+1TE&st=2&pc=KT15+1TE&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf"]MAP LINK[/url]
[b]Format:[/b] 1 x general area to set up your gear, plus 1 x quiet room/workshop area with workshops through the day, plus Jamming room, plus cafeteria
[b]Cost:[/b] £10 for the day
[b]Charities:[/b] We would like to donate any profits from the day to a worthy cause recommended by Ros "Mrs Simon Cox" The Old Git's other half (details to be confirmed):

We aim to have some great [b]workshops[/b] on the day, pretty much as we did last year! For example, the entrance foyer at the venue served as the 'Quiet Room and a Workshop space last year, which was run very successfully by [b]Happy Jack[/b] as it will be this year. We also held some workshops in the theatre last year, but that may not be available to us this time around as it might be too close to Christmas and as such, would be full of the school's Christmas play stuff... But there is another hall that we can use, so whatever happens, we will be okay for space! There will be [b]refreshments [/b] available on the day for a small charge of course which will help increase the profits and keep everyone happy! Last year [b]Hamster[/b] & [b]Mrs Hamster[/b] did all the work on that and have offered to do so again, so many thanks in advance to them!

[b]Workshops[/b]
At the moment, we have 4 workshops confirmed, kindly offered by [b]Jakesbass[/b], [b]51m0n[/b], [b]alexclaber[/b] and [b]johnnylager[/b]. We could accomodate 1 more on the day possibly, so if anyone feels bold and brave, then please step forward now!!!

Quick update on what we have so far:

1. Music theory / Double-bass - Jakesbass

2. Compression/Compressors - 51m0n

3. Bass tones/using your amp/e.q. advice - alexclaber

4. 'Set up' masterclass - johnnylager

Thanks to all the above for offering to lead on these!

[b]Costs[/b]
Last year, it cost [b]£185 for the hire of the venue[/b] plus an amount for some public liability insurance cover therefore to cover those basic costs, we need to charge [b]£10 per head[/b] entrance fee to one and all!

[b]Donation to good causes, in honour of Old Git[/b]
Like last year and the 2 years before that, all profits will be donated to a good cause, so not only will we have a fabulous day 'navel gazing' as only we Basschatters can, but we will be raising funds for a good cause.. In particular this year, we would like to make a donation in honour of [b]Old Git [/b], who made such a fantastic contribution to the Basschat community over the years! Having consulted with Ros (Si's widow), she said that Si supported and believed in the work of these two Charities particularly:

[b]The Kambia Appeal[/b] (kambia.org.uk) - supporting a hospital in Sierra Leone (Si did his thing on their last web site)
[b]The Samaritans[/b] (samaritans.org)

So all profits will be divided equally between these two very good causes!

[b]Other details[/b] such as exactly which rooms/spaces we will have and which ones will be used for what function etc, masterclasses, raffles etc, will be added over the next few weeks. [b]Hope lots of you can come because it's that which'll make it a great day![/b] :)

[b]Please Help[/b]
What would be really helpful from everyone who's interested in partcipating on the day is:

[b]1.[/b] Donations of raffle prizes
[b]2.[/b] Ideas/requests for the workshops
[b]3.[/b] Volunteers to help out on the day (if needs be)

Basically, we've come up with a format based on last year's event but there's no reason why we can't expand on it either.. [b]So all practical ideas/offers welcome![/b] :rolleyes:
I'm chucking in a couple of things for the raffle to get it started; a pair of Fender Jazz 5 string pick ups and a 5 string Jazz scratchplate that I can't get rid of for love nor money, so they might as well go into the raffle..

What'd be good now is to use this thread [u]to get an idea of who's coming and what gear they'll be bringing[/u]..So, to get the ball rolling here's a list of the people I know who are coming:

UPDATED LIST: Still looking good, with just over 2 weeks to go... :lol:

01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, BC Rich Eagle, Yamaha TRB5 with Norstrand p/ups and Auderre pre, Eden Metro Rig, and a Peavey MKIV head and SWR Triad for the Jamming Room (unless anyone has something else we can use that's better?)
02. Michaelg
03. silddx: Chris Squire Electra Evolution build, Squier Classic Vibe TTS Stratocaster, POD X3 LIVE.
04. Hamster:
05. WalMan: Wal Custom, pair of G&L L2500s, Markbass Combo, Epifani Cab, Marshall Superbass 100, Bass Pod Pro xt
06. Jakesbass:
07. Johngh: MIJ 75 re-issue Jazz
08. Ped: Vigier Passion II with Marleaux and Roland GK electronics, Roland Vbass unit, 1u 800w digital poweramp, SWR 4x8 and 1x15
09. 51m0n: Bergantino AE410, Markbass SA450, Roscoe CS 5, Pedal board with various bits of lovely goodness, Bergantino HT210 and HT115, Ibby BTB470
10. obbm: Godin A5 fretless, Shuker PJ5, PJB Cub, PJB-D200, Lakland PJ Duck Dunn, TecAmp Pleasure Board and Sony headphones
11. jhk
12. Stingray5: Musicman, Tune, Fender, Westone basses; Trace Elliot GP12SMX combo + 2x10/2x5, Boss GT6-B
13. pete.young: Bass Collection 465 and GK3-B plus Roland V-Bass, plus Yamaha BB800 and maybe the Burman Pro 4000
14. Andy
15. sockdeluxe_mikey: Lakland 44-01, Markbass SA450, Euphonic Audio NL-210
16. Clarky: Fender CS Pino and MarkBass CMD121P
17. Bottle: Precision special, EBS cabs (yep, both the 4x10 and 1x15), maybe a couple of 1x12's, and my GK MB500 head
18. Truckstop
19. Bloodaxe
20. Waynepunkdude: SX Bass
21. Barneyg42
22. essexbasscat
23. Stylon Pilson
24. Kraken
25. Alien
26. Bassmanady: Yamaha TRB5P
27. Clauster
28. Paul S: Trace Elliot AH300-12 + 2103H
29. Cetera: Spector basses, Wal bass, Sansamp RBI/RPM rig, Genz 212
30. TomKent: Eden Nemesis 250 Combo, Fretless P-Bass and my J-Bass
31. Urb: Sei singlecut
32. charic: greenburst acg and a mim fender pbass with SD 1/4lb and BAII
33. Alex Claber: Barefaced cabs, RIM bass
34. alanbass1: Yamaha BB2024x/Warwick Thumb NT/TC Electronics RH450 head/Berg HT112ER/EX112ER cabs
35. sean: Yamaha BB2024x, Yamaha BB2025, Spector NS5-XL, Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" combo, Mesa Carbine M6, 2 x Bergantino AE210, Assorted FX
36. thestick: various basses
37. Plux_the_Duck: see 51m0n list above
38. MacDaddy: custom Shuker and possibly my Hamer Blitz or Iceni Zoot.
39. johnnylager: Pimp Euro 5, a Jap P, the LH / Big Juan rig and the DHA thing. And a couple of cans of lager.
40. Sibob: 1973 Jazz, 2003 US Jazz, Orange Terror, Ashdown EVOII500, Ashdown mini 4x8 cab
42. Dropzone: Jeff Berlin Combo and Line 6 Lowdown 300 with Mk2 shortboard.
43. Patster1969

It'd be great to have [b]50[/b] plus people there on the day but the bottom line is that, to make this event pay for itself and to be able to donate something to charity, we need a [b]minimum of 30 people... So, come on folks; sign up!![/b]

Thanks and we look forward to seeing you there..

silverfoxnik / Merton / Hamster / WalMan / obbm

(edited to say it's Year 4!)

Edited by silverfoxnik

Count me in. Will probably only bring a couple of basses. Most likely my Alembic Spoiler, as I reckon most will never have seen/played one of these, and my 72 Precision.

PS thanks for the hard work setting this up Nik and the gang!

Edited by Clarky

To quote that great Val Kilmer line in Tombstone "I'll be your Huckleberry". No idea what it means but take as "count me in". I'll do a workshop on the virtues of sticking with the same bass through thick and thin throughout one's whole career (assisted by Clarky).

I'm already excited at the prospect of learning from your two keynote speakers, both of whom have given me some great advice over the years, so I'm looking forward to the day.

Thanks for organising it Nik

C

PS is there space for a car-boot style mini market? I imagine loads of us have got loads of small bass gear (books, FX, cables, Ampeg Fridges etc) that we'd love to offload without Paypal profiting and Royal Mail losing/damaging. Percentage of all revenue to charity?

Ooh, i'm in! I won't bring anything with me though, I've only got some boring old bits and pieces!

Anyway, I was thinking it might be a cool idea for someone that makes basses for a hobby or something should bring some bits with him/her and just give a tutorial on bass construction? I'm really interested in that sort of thing, and i'm sure alot of other people would like to see the magic behind bass making. Maybe even ask Rim or AGC to turn up with some examples?

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='952728' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:08 PM']Hmmmm...
Right, here's what to do:
Fake your death, and then 'appear' to your son and warn him against using your stuff else he suffer the gravest of consequences!

Truckstop[/quote]
Sort of a Shakespearean bass bash play ... interesting ...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='952713' date='Sep 11 2010, 01:55 PM']Hmmm ... I have a family commitment that day ... now how can I get out of it?[/quote]
[quote name='Truckstop' post='952715' date='Sep 11 2010, 01:56 PM']Fake your death.[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' post='952717' date='Sep 11 2010, 02:01 PM']That's no good,my son would take all my gear ... if he could get his hands on it before his mother sold it all.[/quote]
Fake [i]their[/i] deaths then.

Hope to make this one... Public Transport links seem OK (Waterloo >> Addlestone CDR £9.70, change at Feltham, omnibus from Addlestone station).

Gear? The usual. The SB-1000 & SB-900, Superfly & either just the Epifani UL-110 and (If I can blag a lift with the space from Forest Hill/Catford) the Flite 15.

Pete.

[quote name='Beedster' post='952618' date='Sep 11 2010, 12:09 PM']To quote that great Val Kilmer line in Tombstone "I'll be your Huckleberry". .......[/quote]

I've always liked Kurt Russell's line [b]"You tell him I'm coming and hell's coming with me".[/b]

I however, will not be coming, or for that matter bringing hell with me :) . It takes over 4 hours to get there from here.

All the best though and have a good one.

EDITED: due to lack of educational attainment.

Edited by Marvin

Emailed band and said no long distance gig that night please, emailed work and told them not available that day............no replies yet but I'm 99% sure all will be ok! If it takes me more than 5 minutes to drive there it's a bad day! Looking forward to it, I have a Mondy estate so if anyone needs picking up locally talk to me nearer the time. :)