Why become a member? ×

Racking an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

BassBalls

I got a new SVT 4 delivered to me recently and i discovered that the main vents are on the side of the head. Are there any 6u-8u racks which are wider than usual and allow air to flow easily around the side?

Also, are plastic racks very strong? I obviously want to protect the head as much as possible but it weighs a ton already and a wooden/metal rack would add more weight.

Any help will be appreciated! :)

[quote name='BassBalls' post='108494' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:40 AM']I got a new SVT 4 delivered to me recently and i discovered that the main vents are on the side of the head. Are there any 6u-8u racks which are wider than usual and allow air to flow easily around the side?

Also, are plastic racks very strong? I obviously want to protect the head as much as possible but it weighs a ton already and a wooden/metal rack would add more weight.

Any help will be appreciated! :)[/quote]

I run mine in a standard SKB 6U rack, together with a DTR2000 tuner and have no problems with venting. It gets hot but no hotter than any other amp I've tried. Some guys in the US drill a few holes in the side of their cases to aid in ventilation but that worries me as I reckon it must compromise the structure of the case.

I'd not worry about it too much.

Cheers

Steve

[quote name='Muppet' post='108637' date='Dec 23 2007, 05:45 PM']I run mine in a standard SKB 6U rack, together with a DTR2000 tuner and have no problems with venting. It gets hot but no hotter than any other amp I've tried. Some guys in the US drill a few holes in the side of their cases to aid in ventilation but that worries me as I reckon it must compromise the structure of the case.

I'd not worry about it too much.

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

Some time ago, there were some "issues" with these shutting down due to not getting enough ventilation. Ampegs newer designs vent front to rear. I believe yours vents side to rear? Over the driving transistors. At 39 lbs, I doubt that some well placed additional venting holes would compromise the structural integrity of the unit and would probably be a good idea given their past history with some users.

[quote name='jammie17' post='108647' date='Dec 23 2007, 06:01 PM']I believe yours vents side to rear?[/quote]

Side to side actually. I've never had any problems it has to be said and I run mine bridged at 4ohms, but if I did, I would consider additional ventilation

[quote name='Muppet' post='108649' date='Dec 23 2007, 06:10 PM']Side to side actually. I've never had any problems it has to be said and I run mine bridged at 4ohms, but if I did, I would consider additional ventilation[/quote]

Cool...well I just wanted to make you aware that a couple people had issues with them....but that was some time ago...year or more ago. It's a nice amp...congrats. 1200 watts!!??? WOW!! :wub:

Jim

Edited by jammie17

[quote name='jammie17' post='108683' date='Dec 23 2007, 07:46 PM']Cool...well I just wanted to make you aware that a couple people had issues with them....but that was some time ago...year or more ago. It's a nice amp...congrats. 1200 watts!!??? WOW!! :wub:

Jim[/quote]

Cheers! This head is getting way too much respect from me. Im scared its going to blow up everything i plug it in too or blow its self up.

I think ill got a computer fan and blow air through the back vent when i use it.

[quote name='BassBalls' post='109003' date='Dec 24 2007, 05:29 PM']Cheers! This head is getting way too much respect from me. Im scared its going to blow up everything i plug it in too or blow its self up.

I think ill got a computer fan and blow air through the back vent when i use it.[/quote]

I totally forgot that...that was a remedy another user also came up with....great idea!

Sorry for the slight hi-jack but similar question...

Just got an SVT-II (non-pro), all tube beast. It's currently housed in an ampeg open rack case, one of those solid bad boys! But it doesn't have a spare unit for my tuner. I'm thinking of getting a 4u rack for it to house both...but will it get too hot, and in turn, will it give the tuner grief, or would a 5/6u rack be more prudent...? Alternatively, do ampeg do big racks...i quite like the whole vibe of the ampeg one as opposed to the Gator/SKB rack cases, whilst they do have fronts and backs i know.

Once again, sorry for the hi-jack, just don't see the point in asking the same/similar question elsewhere about a different Ampeg amp.

Thanks
J

When I engineered for The Exploited the bassist had an SVT 2 that the fan was dodgy on, and he strapped a floor standing fan to the sie of it and blew air into it, and it still sounded fantastic so I'd say they're quite hardy amps.

I don't think you'd have any trouble with the SVT4 unless you run it very high all the time, or play in very high temperatures as a norm. There's nothng you can do to stop an amp gettig warm, it mean's it's working, so unless you notice any problems then I'd guess it's OK. Drilling a hole or two(small ones) probably won't hurt he structural integrity of a case, not a Gator one IME and probably not an SKB as to me they look very very sturdy.