Why become a member? ×

Anyone got an Ergo EUB anywhere near Herts ?

el-gnomo

I'm tempted to order an Ergo 5-string from the US. The portability and sound appeal to me, and the availability of left hand models should aid my transition from electric bass without taxing my feeble brain. However, I can't bring myself to do it without having actually tried one out !
Does anyone have an Ergo EUB (any string configuration/orientation) anywhere near Hertfordshire that they would be prepared for me to have a quick go on ?

Thanks,

Edwin.

I'm afraid I probably can't help you much with trying one out (I live in Bristol and am not very mobile atm), but I got an Ergo 4-string this summer. I had the same problem as you with the lack of opportunity to try one out in the UK, but in the end what finally won me over was a combination of positive vibes in the online forums, Jesse's friendly, helpful and genuine manner and the price. Importing it was a pain, it took ages to clear customs, there's a small import duty (about £12) and a big VAT bill (£60-odd) to pay and in the end I had to go and pick it up from some depot, but I forgot all about that when I opened the box.

I think you might have trouble finding someone near you who's got one, not many seem to have made it over here, but if you ever buy something without trying it first, make this it. These Ergos are simply beautiful, they play really well and they absolutely sing. I mostly practice unplugged with mine, it never ceases to amaze me how a solid stick of wood can be so resonant and sonorous, but even through my far-from-ideal amp setup it sounds absolutely gorgeous. I'm a newbie in the world of upright basses myself, had a Stagg EUB for a year or so and thought that was OK, but the Ergo is just in another galaxy. I've also tried a silly-money Eminence semi-acoustic EUB and in my opinion the Ergo beats that too for tone and playability.

It seems that there's a gap in the market for EUBs - there are some fairly cheap ones, like the Stagg, the Palatino or whatever it's called, the Aria etc, then there's loads of choice in the high-end market where everything costs several grand, but there's very little in between. I looked at the Steinberger Wav 4 which is a bit higher-spec than most sub£1000 EUBs, but I couldn't find anywhere to try them out either.

Even with the extra expense of importing it, I reckon the Ergo is still maybe the fourth cheapest EUB on the market, and for that you get a great-sounding, very distinctive, high quality instrument hand-made from a single piece of wood by a master craftsman. None of the others can compete with that. Jesse is a nice guy, lots of helpful and friendly advice on all matters bass before and after you buy, plus he is interested in your needs and requirements. I was worried about the action not being adjustable, so I mentioned this to him and he included, for free, 2 additional bridges of different heights so I could try out low, medium and high actions. Currently on high and loving it, but it's good to be able to change if necessary.

Hope some of this was helpful; obviously the only way to be sure is to try one out, but that is pretty difficult with these things, and I really don't think that, for the money, there is anything out there in the Ergo's class.

I have had an Ergo for a little over a year now, and have gigged it heavily with a live drum 'n bass band. I am happy with it and I think it is a lot more EUB for the price than say a Stagg (which I have also used). I have no doubt that Cliftons, Eminences and the like are much better basses, but the Ergo works fine.

Some experiences:

The finish is pretty strange. It gums up where you touch it often, such as the spot for right hand thumb placement and the back of the neck. For a while it was very sticky and annoying. I sanded and oiled the back of the neck and that has made life a lot easier.

The insert in the back of the bass where the stand attaches came out once. I glued it back with some very heavy duty glue and it has stayed put for the last couple of months.

Orchestral strings sound quite nice on this bass (and probably most EUBs). There is a trick to installing the E-string where you remove the winding at the top where the string turns around the tuner (read up on this before you try it - strings are easily ruined). Unaltered strings won't fit and you will probably have to stick with steel strings rather than nylon core ones (let alone guts and weedwackers).

High action does the sound a lot of favours.

It is the most portable of all EUBs I think. I sling it over my shoulder and cycle to gigs and jams. You have to sort out a bag though.

The arco sound in particular is nice on the Ergo. I think the simple construction makes it very resonant.

Just some thoughts. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='958213' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:33 PM']Orchestral strings sound quite nice on this bass (and probably most EUBs). There is a trick to installing the E-string where you remove the winding at the top where the string turns around the tuner (read up on this before you try it - strings are easily ruined). Unaltered strings won't fit and you will probably have to stick with steel strings rather than nylon core ones (let alone guts and weedwackers).[/quote]

+1 on the reading up.

Many of the owners will just snip a bit of length off the top and this seems to allow the e string to install ok without having to solder or super-glue the windings once cut.

They seem like great instruments. I can definitely see the attraction.

Thanks for the info. I've also seen a modification on youtube [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brt_gMtS2nE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brt_gMtS2nE[/url] which looks like he's mounted an electric bass bridge on the back, so a few extra inches of the strings are anchored before passing through the body.

- Edwin.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but here we go anyway.

I have an Ergo 4, which I ordered from Jesse about 2 years ago now. I've had to do some work to it - and I'm probably not finished- but if folks relatively nearby want to try one, I have one.

I'd also be interested in anyone else's experiences with Ergos. As has been said here, there aren't very many in the UK, as you have to deal with Jesse direct and it get it shipped over from TN.

Cheers,

Tonteee

• 3 weeks later...