Why become a member? ×

EBS Classic T90- All Tube Bass Head

sshorepunk

I made the move to an all tube head a while back, after playing EBS for several years, the tube sound is more suited to what I am doing!

I have a great rig, but just after I changed, I saw this!

From the EBS site.....

The EBS Classic T90 All-Tube bass amp is developed by EBS and experts with more than 20 years experience from building exclusive tube amps for hi-fi and guitar. The result is a hand-built tube amp with special designed transformers and selected and matched tubes.

Classic Tube Sound for Live and Studio
The 90 tube-Watts makes the EBS Classic T90 a perfect amp for the studio, especially since it comes with a direct driven balanced tube output. The amp is also very well suited for use in live situations – and a perfect companion to the matching EBS ClassicLine cabinets.

Carefully Designed
The special designed transformers are overdimensioned and all materials carefully selected to perform at a maximum level - at all times.

The tubes are quality selected and matched with precision, and burnt-in for 24 hours after mounted in the amp to reveal any quality issues in time.

Features
The amp has a separate input for active and passive instruments and a separate output for 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms speaker cabinets. The control panel has a classic style layout with controls for Volume, Bass, Treble and Presence.

Technical Specifications

Nominal Input Level -18dBv (passive), -8dBv (active)
Input Impedance 1Mohms (passive), 100kohms (active)
Tone Controls Bass +/-12dB @80Hz
Treble +/-12dB @8kHz
Prescence 0 - +12 dB @5kHz (pwr amp eq)
Balanced Output Level -10dBv
Power Output 90W RMS
Tube Selection 2x 6550 power tubes
1x 7025 now noise selection
1x 12AT7, 2x 12AU7
Dimensions (WxHxD) 21,1”x10,5”x9,57” / 53,7x26,7x24,3 cm
Weight 16,7 kg / 37 lbs.

Not sure if they are in the UK yet as they are not listed on the EBS UK site yet!

Thomann are listing it at £986 which seems good for what it is, plus EBS have a reputation for building great gear, I know this from personal experience

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='954968' date='Sep 13 2010, 04:06 PM']I made the move to an all tube head a while back, after playing EBS for several years, the tube sound is more suited to what I am doing!

I have a great rig, but just after I changed, I saw this!

From the EBS site.....

The EBS Classic T90 All-Tube bass amp is developed by EBS and experts with more than 20 years experience from building exclusive tube amps for hi-fi and guitar. The result is a hand-built tube amp with special designed transformers and selected and matched tubes.

Classic Tube Sound for Live and Studio
The 90 tube-Watts makes the EBS Classic T90 a perfect amp for the studio, especially since it comes with a direct driven balanced tube output. The amp is also very well suited for use in live situations – and a perfect companion to the matching EBS ClassicLine cabinets.

Carefully Designed
The special designed transformers are overdimensioned and all materials carefully selected to perform at a maximum level - at all times.

The tubes are quality selected and matched with precision, and burnt-in for 24 hours after mounted in the amp to reveal any quality issues in time.

Features
The amp has a separate input for active and passive instruments and a separate output for 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms speaker cabinets. The control panel has a classic style layout with controls for Volume, Bass, Treble and Presence.

Technical Specifications

Nominal Input Level -18dBv (passive), -8dBv (active)
Input Impedance 1Mohms (passive), 100kohms (active)
Tone Controls Bass +/-12dB @80Hz
Treble +/-12dB @8kHz
Prescence 0 - +12 dB @5kHz (pwr amp eq)
Balanced Output Level -10dBv
Power Output 90W RMS
Tube Selection 2x 6550 power tubes
1x 7025 now noise selection
1x 12AT7, 2x 12AU7
Dimensions (WxHxD) 21,1”x10,5”x9,57” / 53,7x26,7x24,3 cm
Weight 16,7 kg / 37 lbs.

Not sure if they are in the UK yet as they are not listed on the EBS UK site yet!

Thomann are listing it at £986 which seems good for what it is, plus EBS have a reputation for building great gear, I know this from personal experience

Tony[/quote]

I'm really hoping Bernie has one as bassday next month. Its in manchester so should give you an easy chance to try before you buy :)

He does have one at the moment. It's a completely different beast to the rest of the EBS range, I'll mention it to Bernie to bring it up if there is interest - although there hasn't been that much interest from the UK so far. We have had discussions about this amp in detail - again, mostly about the same subjects that have been been mentioned here. I know that EBS Watts usually go along way but even so... is 90w enough for gigging? I will say though, it's got a great valvey drive about it.

Edited by EBS_freak

haha i love marketing mumbo jumbo, why didn't they just put over speced? Do respect them though for understating the clean wattage as opposed to claiming it'll do way more like some other companys like to do.

[quote name='umph' post='955874' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:55 AM']The special designed transformers are overdimensioned and all materials carefully selected to perform at a maximum level - at all times.

haha i love marketing mumbo jumbo, why didn't they just put over speced? Do respect them though for understating the clean wattage as opposed to claiming it'll do way more like some other companys like to do.[/quote]

That's the thing I had been talking to Bernie about. The low wattage figure quoted (compared to the competition) creates a certain illusion about the amp already... If looking at the specs on paper, your 200w+ valve amps are going to attract people's attention more than the 90 watt of the EBS head - it all depends whether the buyer is clued up enough to realise that the figures are all... well, meaningless. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

Exactly the same is true with their HD350. 350 watts... but more than capable of keeping up (and staying clean) with other amps rated (on paper at least) at twice the wattage.

Guitars always sound louder - due to the frequencies they operate within. Your watt goes a lot further when using a guitar... and guitarists don't seem to care as much amount having as much headroom (as in before it starts getting super dirty) as bass.

I've gigged an early 70s bassman rated at 100w. It was OK but it didn't haven't the clean headroom I would have wanted... and only just kept the band in the mix. I would suspect if I needed much more volume, I would want a little extra on the wattage stakes and certainly the number of speakers...!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='955810' date='Sep 14 2010, 12:44 PM']I know that EBS Watts usually go along way but even so... is 90w enough for gigging?[/quote]

Once again it's not all about the amp. If you got a cabinet with good SPL then the amp is more than enough. I'm using my EBS with two 4x10" cabinets and it's at least loud enough. I got 3 amps and none of them has more than 140W (4x 6L6)... Well actually if you consider that they are valve amps and the power section is A/B then I don't think that any of them has even 110W. And I've done large stages too... At least here in Finland the PA steps in if the hall is anything larger than a pub. But for stage the amp is enough.

BTW the EBS has quite low gain pre-amp. I've been boosting it with MXR micro amp which adds a huge amount of volume too.

[quote name='Jakkeko' post='955903' date='Sep 14 2010, 12:27 PM']I'm using my EBS with two 4x10" cabinets and it's at least loud enough.[/quote]

With that amount of speakers, I'm not surprised.

True, it's not all about the amp, I think that discussion has been done to death all across the site but you still have to deliver enough power between your drivers to actually get them to work as they should... and it depends what type of music you are playing and how much valve power amp distortion you want.

Having never gigged the amp, I wouldn't know if this would suit me or not... but I would wager a guess that it wouldn't stay clean enough for me. Would I like the amp in my collection? Hell yeah. For exactly the same reasons I want an Ampeg B15 fliptop.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

[quote name='umph' post='955874' date='Sep 14 2010, 11:55 AM']The special designed transformers are overdimensioned and all materials carefully selected to perform at a maximum level - at all times.

haha i love marketing mumbo jumbo, why didn't they just put over speced? Do respect them though for understating the clean wattage as opposed to claiming it'll do way more like some other companys like to do.[/quote]

Only just clocked this. To be fair, EBS do all their own translation... and some of it does come out a bit Swenglish! The original text for the Session 60 was hilarious.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='955888' date='Sep 14 2010, 12:16 PM']Exactly the same is true with their HD350. 350 watts... but more than capable of keeping up (and staying clean) with other amps rated (on paper at least) at twice the wattage.[/quote]

Exactly.

I've never found myself wanting more volume from my HD350, even on the biggest gigs. Paired with my EBS cabs, they're super loud and clean.

Just wish the flipping things were a bit lighter!

:)

• 2 months later...

I emailed bass centre and was advised that i should get a big amp - the standard bass head being the SVT which was rated at 300w but Im still drawn to this EBS amp.

i like the idea that I can use playing dynamic's (to a point ) to coax cleaner tones but still have that edge - again £900 is a big risk if it turns out to be 'under powered' for the 'real world'. I can't help thinking that at the gig's I play a solid 60-70 tube watts would be ample coming out a 4 ohm cab. My only concern would be would it be under powering a 500-700w cab?

iIwelcome your collective knowledge.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The Hiwatt and the EBS sounded best for me.
Anyway, whos gigging a T90 and how is it standing up to live situations?
Considering a T90 but dont know if itll be loud enough for big pubs n small clubs without PA support.
My only other all valve experience was my old Trace V6, but that was just TOO Loud. It was 300 w.
I wish theyd use some kind of standard measurement that meant something.

I'm sure I read somewhere that only two or three of these were sold in the UK!

Anyway, my valve amp puts out 96w and I've gigged it many times. The vast majority of the time, it has been loud enough, but sometimes I wish I had a bit more volume on tap, on the rare occasion where we were in a large venue but couldn't put the bass through the PA.

I have a louder SS head that I bring to these gigs now, so have all bases covered.

Edited by Roland Rock

I like the look of these although I usually prefer the control of input gain / master volume. Knowing EBS' usual high standards I bet these are a killer amp, I'd love to try one. The 90w rating doesn't put me off, I've gigged with less so it wouldn't be an issue.

A shame its so far away. Even too far for the family up by the Lake District.
Anyway, just replaced the preamp tube( jjecc83) in my Fafner with a Mullard 12AX7 and its sounding really nice.
Creamy overdrive, lovely.
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1387188370' post='2309035']
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBS-Classic-T90-tube-bass-amp-/370960322946
Bit of a trek from Holland though :-(
[/quote]