Why become a member? ×

Anyone used a K&K Double Big twin pickup?

Jon

Hi been using a K&K Double Big Twin with limited success for some time! I've started using it in conjunction with a Fishman Pro Eq Platinam pre-amp, but I've haven't had much time to experiment with them together. Anyone using/used similar? Jon

Edited by Jon

Hi Jon,

Not used that version, but I did have the "bass max"? single version for a while (the one that wedges into the bridge slots). I liked it but thought it sounded a bit "nasal". Easy to fit, but not as natural a sound as I was after (on EUB). A preamp helped to make it sound fuller.

More recently I've put a K&K into an acoustic bass guitar and I'm very impressed with how natural it sounds compared to an under saddle piezo strip.

If you could give a summary of what you think is wrong I may be able to suggest a few things?

BB

Hi BB, and thanks for the reply. I'm putting my DB into a Hartke HA350 with a SWR 210 cab- wonderful for my electric, but I'm still getting a brittle tone from the bass with feedback! I thought that the preamp wmight help more than it is, but the difference it makes is quite small. It is however quite early days and I really need to spend half a day just tweeking the many controls on the Fishman. My main angst is the thin tone and the feedback. I sould take it for a bit of a setup (the bass that is...), probably in thenew year. I will also be fitting aluminium bridge adjusters also soon. Cheers, Jon

[quote name='Jon' post='108836' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:01 AM']I'm putting my DB into a Hartke HA350 with a SWR 210 cab- wonderful for my electric, but I'm still getting a brittle tone from the bass with feedback![/quote]

I have the same experience with an SWR head (and any cab). Awesome electric sound but not very good with upright. EA iAMP is very clean with a parametric eq - brilliant with upright, but not that ballsy with sideways!

Welcome to the never ending "tone quest"!

I've never used either of the items you mention but I have encountered the problems you are having. I used an Underwood for a while then moved onto an Accusound bridge strip. The accusound has a better tone but the underwood seems more resistant to feedback. I have just started using an Alembic pre amp either direct into the PA or into my polytone (or both) it has made an absolutely huge difference, it amplifies all the right qualities of sound that I want, is very woody (Incidentaly best with the Underwood) and seems to have boosted more of the original signal (if that makes sense) so I'm relying much less on the amp for the qualities of the tone, they are coming from me and the Bass, the way it should be.
hope this is useful and I'm happy to waffle for hours in this vein, so feel free
Jake

Ok, I've used SWR (Studio 220, Grand Prix) for upright - no problems, as long as the enhancer is off. In fact the "clean" sound is very good, if a bit polite. I've also used an old Alembic pre - fantastic, clear and warm but muddy with SWR cabs (better with EA). So I guess its all down to personal preferences and experience?

My suggestion is this - set all eq to "flat" or as near as you can get. Use an external preamp (the Fishman is good for matching p/up to amp) and firstly look at the gain structure - you want to get the cleanest strongest signal into the amp that you can get before anything starts distorting. This means being realistic about how hard you play, and setting the max input on the preamp (without distortion) followed by the max amp input, and then whatever amp output is required for the gig. When these are well balanced, then add eq with whatever (preamp or amp) works best, but use it sparingly - don't add lots of lows (below 100hrtz) as this will usually cause mud and feedback, and you'll be losing power where you can't really hear it. Piezo's can put out a lot of really low frequencies, so look out for your speaker cones.

If that doesn't help, its a step back to looking at how well the pickup is mounted.....and the bridge fit....etc

Time for another beer....cheers

BB

I forgot to mention - try running the Fishman into the effects recieve input of the amp (bypass ths amp's own pre) and you should get a more accurate sound, although the level may be a bit too low. This can help you hear the pickup better, and takes one thing out of the signal chain.

good luck

BB