Why become a member? ×

Amp with self drive

Faithless

After rushing my amp through some dirty air and a little bit of rain( i don't remember clearly, actually), my little Laney RB2 got sick.

It's speaker got some fuzz ( as one person, who stood in my room for a while, and didn't know, if the amp was turned on, said - it sounds like raining), that "turns on" sometimes, and whatever I'd do, it doesn't vanish. When my bass' volume is at 0, the amp still gives fuzz, so, it's speaker's problem, I think. When I turn up amp's gain, fuzz gets even harsher.

The other thing - that raining/fuzz vanishes, when I start playing something, simply, when signal is sent.

But the notes my bass produces are being covered with some drive - it's very deep in lower register, but it vanishes or is very soft at the upper.

I know, amp's gonna need some medicine, but I dunno if maybe playing doesn't damage the speaker even more, and, umm, could it really got sick because of dirty air or somethin'?... :)

P.S. Looks like, the amp's volume got down some, when fuzz's "on"... Uh, those "effects" sucks, really..

Edited by Faithless

Omfg...

I thought I'll go mad yesterday due to my litl [L]ucking [F]aney's dead..

This morning teacher brought me another Laney - CK165, and I thought the hell's over..

We have about -4C temperature here in Lithuania, and, when I took that Laney it was COLD.
I left it in my warm room for about half or full hour, then plugged my Ibazzy, and, goddamnit, he sounded practically the same like my sick RB2!!!!!!! :)

After a few notes played ( the lower register "seemed" ok in comparison with upper - signal seemed a bit "late" and veeery weak ), amp died - you could only hear very weak signal sometimes.

I left it for a while, tried again, and the story was re-told...

And I got a gig on Saturday, during my drummer's birthday!!!! :huh:

I think, both of amps ran out because of weather/temperature thingies - i've tried to play them in different places, with different cables, but that didn't help.
Ibazzy is the last to judge here.

I feel sh1tty.. :huh:

At last, I could take my main, RB8 from studio, buuut, the thing is, I'll to rush it through yard, whick means Low temperature, and what if the "Laney story" repeats...?

Edited by Faithless

When you take the cold amp inside, a bunch of condensation will form on it, thats water. Water + electrics plugged in = unhappyness. Gotta let it warm up and dry out. Good demo was my first bass that was zebra striped with electrical tape, been sat in an outbuilding at home. Go home for Xmas, and feel the urge, so I got get it for a post dinner thump. Due to hot food and family of breathig and such, water is literally running down it, and all the tape is screwed, and sticks to me and it was pretty nasty. Course electrickery is worse.

:) Victory.

My Ibazzy's active, and, until my friend gave me an idea of checking the battery... I didn't check it.
But I assure, low battery MAKES that feeling - your amp's dead..

Oh, holy Satan, I spent two of my "the very free" days with no playing at all, just slapping acoustically.. I'll kick my head with a leg.