Why become a member? ×

Audition in 6 days !!

tonybassplayer

I don't know about membership sites but I find free online tab sites to be unreliable. Apart from the amount of stealth crap they try to get on your computer they seem to be submitted by any old tone deaf enthusiast who thinks they may have twigged it when they plainly haven't.

You can't beat jamming along to the original. YouTube's ok for positioning but I find the compression rates used can sometimes make it tricky for picking out specific phrases etc. Personally I try to find torrents and jam away until I've nailed it myself. If you get a really tough section you could probably loop it in Audacity or something until you sus it out.

Just my 2p like.

Lots of popular songs but strangely very few that I have done so I will pick and choose the ones to audition with and leave the others until I am in the band ( or not lol )

Black dog
Whole lotta love }Led zeppelin
Since i've been loving you
Good times roll
Fire }Jimi Hendrix
Back in black
Riff raff }Acdc
Hell ain't a bad place to be
Radar love }Golden earring
Cos i luv ya }Slade
Ball and chain
Move over }Janis Joplin
Come together }Beatles
Need your love so bad }Fleetwood mac
For what it's worth }Buffalo Springfield
The letter }Joe Cocker
The ocean
I can't quit you babe }Led zeppelin

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='109700' date='Dec 26 2007, 10:51 PM']Lots of popular songs but strangely very few that I have done so I will pick and choose the ones to audition with and leave the others until I am in the band ( or not lol )

Black dog
Whole lotta love }Led zeppelin
Since i've been loving you
Good times roll
Fire }Jimi Hendrix
Back in black
Riff raff }Acdc
Hell ain't a bad place to be
Radar love }Golden earring
Cos i luv ya }Slade
Ball and chain
Move over }Janis Joplin
Come together }Beatles
Need your love so bad }Fleetwood mac
For what it's worth }Buffalo Springfield
The letter }Joe Cocker
The ocean
I can't quit you babe }Led zeppelin[/quote]

Learn them all!! That way it`ll be a band practise not an audition!! :)

Not tabs, but [url="http://www.songza.com/"]SONGZA[/url].com is quite a good place to go to find versions of songs.

You could also download a copy of the free HI-Q recorder from [url="http://www.roemersoftware.com/"]HERE[/url] which will record whatever is going through your sound card as an MP3. The bitrate is not great on the free version, but for something to jam along to may be worth a look.

Just talking about me here, but it would take about 30 minutes to an hour to get one of those songs nailed and either transcribed (as in the notes) or Tabbed properly (i.e with repeats etc). Internet Tab sucks, and is almost always innaccurate. I'd settle on the ones you wanna do and crack on. Black Dog is a great one to do I have to say, one of my faves. Transcribing that one time signature wise would be a good bit off fun I reckon, it's such an odd track!

When you can figure out basslines by ear, you're well on your way as a player. You can then teach them properly (from 'inside' the song, rather than 'outside' it).

It's more work this way, but the rewards are a lot greater.

Oh, and have some fun with the tracks as well. I appreaciate someone who can stick to the rules, but I'm more likely to fall in love with someone who breaks them :-)

[quote name='Jebo1' post='109903' date='Dec 27 2007, 03:57 PM']When you can figure out basslines by ear, you're well on your way as a player.[/quote]

+1

Given time you can also play songs without having to [i]learn[/i] them at all, you use the force :)

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like they said before me - stick tab where it belongs and get jamming. I always put a new track onto minidisc, set it going on the repeat function and we just go round n round til it's nailed. A good MD player will also allow you to select a tricky part and just loop that bit for a while.

While you're about it, get down to your nearest jam night & play as much as you can. There is absolutely nothing (repeat that 6 times before continuing) like live jamming to wake you up to nailing a song in double quick time. It teaches you to listen to what's going on in a song, relate to other guys and stop staring at your b***** frets!

Trouble with tab is it tells you nothing except what note to play where. No feel, no expression, no soul, just robotics. Kick the habit. Listen to the music and feel your bass.

Brilliant set mate! 'I Can't Quit You Babe' is just 12 bar blues but remember to listen for the HUGE A-Bb in the last section!

And 'Need Your Love So Bad' is one of my favourite tunes of all time, great bassline to boot! Try and find Gary Moore's version if you can, some really nice orchestral-style parts around the crescendo in the middle!

Best of luck with the audition - with a set like that you're a lucky man!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='117502' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:44 PM']Got the gig and now need to learn them all !!

The singer is a lady and wow, what a powerful voice.

Drummer and guitarist seem top notch as well so should be fun and think we will be out gigging soon.[/quote]

Nice one - hope it all works out :)

Excellent set list - could have come from one of my gigs :) :huh:

100% in agreement with everyone else here too - most free TAB's are utter garbage , and it never ceases to amaze me how wrong people can get a song.

I always try to get a song down by ear - that way it tends to be more accurate, and by working it out yourself you'll remember it much better.

Good luck with the band

[quote name='dude' post='152130' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:28 AM']Listen to the music and feel your bass.[/quote]

Definitely +1
If you can, make a CD or tape of whichever songs, & play frequently in the car etc,
till you know them inside out. Try to listen to everything including what the bass is doing.
Getting the feel is often overlooked, but can sometimes be more beneficial than nailing those tricky bits & nuances, that nobody really notices half the time anyway.

Good luck