Why become a member? ×

Wireless System Licensing Guide

Noisyjon

[quote name='crez5150' post='151976' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:48 PM']Just an update on the 2012 situation..... just so you know, the frequencies are not going to be 'switched off' as it were over night.... the deal is that they will be sold off in 2012 but probably will not be going into action until a year or so later... and this is also area dependant[/quote]

Just to clarify - The Digital Switch Over has already started.
Whitehaven has switched over already, as you may know, and there is a schedule for the rest of the country to follow.
It all finishes with the Channel Islands switching over in 2013.
See [url="http://tx.mb21.co.uk/dso/index.shtml"]This Website[/url] for some more specific info.

Also the auction and sale of other radio spectrum takes place soon and the winners will be gearing up and switching on in 2012 as well.

[quote name='Finbar' post='153276' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:59 PM']So am I right in thinking that this is the situation...

I currently have a Sennheiser freeport wireless, which as far as I know operates in the free band, so I just use it freely at the moment.

The frequencies it transmits at will be sold off in 2012, meaning I have to shell out to use it?

But for the next 4 years, I am alright to carry on without consequence?

Cheers[/quote]

As Crez said, depends on your equipment's operating range.
Let me know the frequency operating range of your gear and we can discuss it if you like...

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Don't know about worrldwide but here in the UK 2.4 to 2483.5 GHz is licence exempt.
Some uses for this this spectrum already are: Wireless computer networks (WiFi), RF tags (RFID), Bluetooth short-range links, video links, wireless microphones, microwave ovens, movement detectors, industrial control and monitoring.
IMO I would avoid wireless kit in this range as it's just too much of a minefield.

Regards,
Jon.

• 4 months later...

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/technology/7870459.stm"]Uh oh....[/url]

[quote]Originally Ofcom promised to safeguard spectrum in the 800Mhz band for wireless microphones and digital terrestrial TV services, but it appears to have had a change of heart.

Now it proposes to make the whole 800MHz band available for mobile broadband and related services and find "alternative spectrum" for wireless microphones and digital terrestrial TV.[/quote]

• 5 months later...

News just in!

Channel 69 (854-862 MHz) is definitely to be cleared by 2012 so we will be losing that channel.
It's replacement is to be Channel 38 (606-614 MHz).

See JFMG's News page about it[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk/pages/news/whatsnew.htm#ch38"]HERE[/url]

Very interesting. It raises at least three questions in my mind.

1. How are retailers going to justify continuing selling equipment that will be illegal in 3 years time?

2. How do they plan to enforce it considering the sheer amount of wireless equipment currently in use?

3. Who has bare the cost of replacing one's own equipment?

I suspect the answer to 3 is muggins.

Will we start to see a flood of Ch69 equipment on Ebay aimed at those not in the know?

Hi OBBM,
Your Muggins theory is probably spot on for 1 & 3 but number 2 will be done by whatever powers up in that frequency range in 2012.
I think it's going to become a Europe wide harmonized channel for mobile phones IIRC.

It'll be interesting to see how the manufactures will wind down production of equipment in the (soon to be) defunct frequency ranges.
I reckon I have a sneaking suspision of the answer!

JTB

[quote name='obbm' post='545128' date='Jul 20 2009, 09:29 AM']Very interesting. It raises at least three questions in my mind.

1. How are retailers going to justify continuing selling equipment that will be illegal in 3 years time?

2. How do they plan to enforce it considering the sheer amount of wireless equipment currently in use?

3. Who has bare the cost of replacing one's own equipment?

I suspect the answer to 3 is muggins.

Will we start to see a flood of Ch69 equipment on Ebay aimed at those not in the know?[/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' post='545194' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:33 AM']Hi Guys

You might want to take a look again at this which I posted back in May - [url="http://www.theaudiofiles.net/?p=386"]Audiofiles.net[/url][/quote]

So no need to worry at this stage however Ofcom are not to be trusted. It was they who concluded that there was no demand in the UK for High Definiton televison broadcasts and as such made no bandwidth allocation for them on the Freeview platform. Several years down the road they have back-pedalled like crazy and HD will be on Freview next year. in time for the World Cup.

[quote name='obbm' post='545215' date='Jul 20 2009, 12:21 PM']So no need to worry at this stage however Ofcom are not to be trusted. It was they who concluded that there was no demand in the UK for High Definiton televison broadcasts and as such made no bandwidth allocation for them on the Freeview platform. Several years down the road they have back-pedalled like crazy and HD will be on Freview next year. in time for the World Cup.[/quote]

Offcom are indeed f***wits...... They really do not think very much of the Broadcasting industry and what impact having no wireless mic's would have on reporting/live events etc..... still as long as we can have more mobile applications then I guess we'll be ok :)

• 11 months later...

An update below -

As of July 2010, Channel 69 remains available nationally for wireless microphone use and continues to be licensable. However, the current Ofcom timetable will see access to channels 61-69 inclusive (790-862 MHz) cease during the second half of 2012. This means that any Channel 69 equipment purchased now will have a steadily reducing window of usability for most of its tuning range, with just over two years the longest period that it will continue to be usable for.

863-865 MHz (two MHz of Channel 70) will continue to be available for use by ‘wireless audio devices’ after 2012. This will support a maximum of six wireless microphone links (subject to range variant and local conditions), but is generally not considered suitable for professional use.

Channel 38 (606-614 MHz) has been assigned by Ofcom as the replacement band for Channel 69, however some geographical restrictions on its use currently apply. In these areas it is supplemented, where available, with additional spectrum in Channels 39 or 40.

In an improvement to the previous schedule, this month Ofcom announced that Channel 38 will effectively be available for both indoor and outdoor use by wireless microphones across the UK from 21 September 2011 - more than three months earlier than was previously indicated.

In the meantime, Ofcom-appointed spectrum management company JFMG has set up an online ‘Channel 38 lookup tool’ located at www.jfmg.co.uk, which lists local Channel 38 availability. Equipment users are strongly advised to check local availability of Channel 38 before using relevant equipment, as this is currently a legal requirement. JFMG is also the company that users need to contact in order to purchase their shared use licence.

“Operation of equipment in either Channel 69 or Channel 38 requires the user to hold a valid shared user licence (also available from www.jfmg.co.uk). During the period of transition this licence also covers parts of Channels 39 and 40, where geographically appropriate. Operation of any wireless gear on frequencies from 470 - 862 MHz without holding the appropriate licences is an offence under the terms of the Wireless Telegraphy Act.”

• 1 month later...

Are there any restrictions when it comes to digital wireless sets?
I was thinking of buying a Brace Audio DWG1000 but I'll not bother if it's a PITA to sort out a license for it and everything.

Thanks John, this has been really interesting to read.

Truckstop

Hi Truckstop,
I had a look at the Brace Audio website and you're fine with that stuff as it operates in the 2.4GHz license exempt frequency range.

Regards,
Jon

[quote name='Truckstop' post='921086' date='Aug 10 2010, 10:45 PM']Are there any restrictions when it comes to digital wireless sets?
I was thinking of buying a Brace Audio DWG1000 but I'll not bother if it's a PITA to sort out a license for it and everything.

Truckstop[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, just a bit of advice really please.
I have just put my old Trantec 1000 system (bought about '92) up for sale on the forum.
It has clearly written on it WT Licence exempt, 175.000 mhz.

Am I correct in assuming this wireless bass system is both legal and doesn't require a licence?

I've not used it for 5 years (except 2 nights ago when I set it up to ensure it still works ok) and I am unlikely to use it again.

Really just want to ensure it's ok as I have had no interest.

Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='karlfer' post='941331' date='Aug 31 2010, 08:14 PM']Hello there, just a bit of advice really please.
I have just put my old Trantec 1000 system (bought about '92) up for sale on the forum.
It has clearly written on it WT Licence exempt, 175.000 mhz.
Am I correct in assuming this wireless bass system is both legal and doesn't require a licence?
I've not used it for 5 years (except 2 nights ago when I set it up to ensure it still works ok) and I am unlikely to use it again.
Really just want to ensure it's ok as I have had no interest.
Hope someone can help,
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]
Hi Karl,
That Trantec kit of yours is indeed legal and Licence Exempt at 175 MHz.
[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk/pages/freq/ground/150_250mhz.htm"]SEE HERE[/url]

Cheers,
Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Truckstop' post='921086' date='Aug 10 2010, 09:45 PM']Are there any restrictions when it comes to digital wireless sets?

Truckstop[/quote]

Did you buy the Brace unit?

Just wondered how you are getting on with it (if you did!)

Cheers

Martin

• 2 months later...

Just bought a Sennheiser EW300 G3 GB system last week and it is absolutely fantastic! The GB version takes the 2012 switch off into account and I don't actually think a lot of places have stock of them yet. Cracking bit of kit tho! Now - to get some phones moulded! :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='1179855' date='Mar 28 2011, 06:40 PM']Just bought a Sennheiser EW300 G3 GB system last week and it is absolutely fantastic! The GB version takes the 2012 switch off into account and I don't actually think a lot of places have stock of them yet. Cracking bit of kit tho! Now - to get some phones moulded! :)[/quote]

Good man! It is really good equipment and it's nice to see someone going for it.

• 1 year later...

I was just starting to play with the idea of getting a wireless bug or something for my bass and read this post, there's a lot of really good info here but it is all a couple of years old now. Does anyone know if this is all still current ? I'd hate to buy something next week and then find I can't use it properly !
thanks
GD

• ped unpinned this topic