Why become a member? ×

Pitch-Shifting

Clunge

Righto, first post here and all that shizzle!

I have two things left on my checklist of sonic capabilities I still requite from my pedal board, one being a really fat fuzzy sound and the other being able to shift up one octave and retain the original as well as accurately as possible.

Now, I've been looking around to a very limited degree and come up with just these options so far:

- Whammy (bass or guitar version)
- Boss PS (2/3/5)

I've heard mixed opinions about all of them and the fact that the PS-3 has delay as well is another tempter but what I'd like is a run down of the best tracking/most accurate pitch-shifters on the market (that work well with bass of course!). I guess my budget will be around £125 max but I'd really like to pay a tad less than that (eBay will help I'm sure). Any discontinued pedals that would fit the bill are welcome too, as long as they can be got hold of.

I have a Boss OC-3 at the mo as well which I really like but it doesn't offer that +1 sound I need.

Cheers.

Hehe, hey Kev - just thought I'd poke around on here for more opinions :).

And tbh Ant, as good as the Whammy is, I'm really not that keen on getting one as I don't actually plan to use the expression at all and it is a rather huge pedal, I'm preferably looking for a compact pedal as I'm trying to keep my board as small as possible.

The PS-3 is what I've been looking at predominantly tbh, the fact it offers delay too would be quite useful.

And also, thatks for the fuzz suggestions but I'm going to look into that once I've sorted out a pitchshifter :).

ye mate id go for the ps-3

do NOT be tempted to pay stupid money for a bass whammy, they just aint worth it

far as bass fuzz goes, id go for the chunk systems brown dog, if i ever get rid of my fuzz probe, thats what id get

well, the bass whammy uses the IVL chips so it sounds better than the current reissue whammy, it has the 5th up/1oct up harmony setting but doesnt have the 2oct up setting (which is sexy).

If you want it and like the sound, then i reckon it's worth the money.

I wouldnt buy it just to play Tool covers like a lot of people seem to do though.

obviously the whammys beat the boss's usually

seriously tho, i dont advise you get the whammy, from what i can see you wouldnt justify the space it takes up on a board, if your only gunna use it for octave up. try and get hold of a unibass, best octave up for bass there is

I have a PS-5 which I quite like. For bass I usually only use the -1 octave and 'trem arm' settings though. Love the trem arm going down an octave right at the end of a song on the last distorted and sustaining note. I wish it could track lower though. It doesn't usually go much further down than A. I realise you shouldn't really need it when playing that low but a few songs with my band start high then rapidly alternate between high and low strings. It sounds awesome when I'm playing high strings but when I'm down low it sounds messy due to wobbly tracking. Also there is a very slight cut out I think when you step on it so quickly jumping on and off it in the middle of sections doesn't work too well.
Considering getting an EBS octave just for the octaves and keeping the PS-5 for the trem but it seems a bit much.

If you're going to shift +1 octave you'd be best off putting the shifted path through some kind of eq to take the tinniness off the sound and boost the mids a little to make it sound more natural.

I've created a uni-bass patch on my MPX-G2 that I only *just* managed to get right after about 12 months of messing about with signal paths, eq settings and routing. It's a load more convincing when I eq the dry signal path to give the bass more at 2.5-3.5 Khz (depending on the bass I'm using) and 120Hz leaving the distorted, shifted signal with nothing below 250Hz and nothing above about 1Khz with a slight peak somewhere between 500 or 600Hz. It all fits together nicely in terms of the frequency spectrum and both paths can be heard clearly.

[quote name='Clunge' post='10731' date='Jun 1 2007, 07:42 PM']How well does the PS-5 deal with +1 octave, particularly with a bit of distortion or fuzz? (signal going into the PS-5 first of course).

That's how I'd be using it predominantly.[/quote]

Dunno really. Have tried it briefly once and it sounded pretty good.
Will try and try it properly at next practice.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='10580' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:50 PM']obviously the whammys beat the boss's usually

seriously tho, i dont advise you get the whammy, from what i can see you wouldnt justify the space it takes up on a board, if your only gunna use it for octave up. try and get hold of a unibass, best octave up for bass there is[/quote]

The unibass is bigger than the bass whammy. I'd try and find a bass whammy if you can, but if the price goes over £240 or so, leave it unless you're maniacally desperate for one.

Pitch shifting is inherently always a bit sh*te, but the bass whammy can do a lot more than the unibass and the boss ps series.

Ultimately, 90% of the time pitch-shifting on bass is a bit of a gimmick. So you'd probably best off putting the money toward other uses.

If you're just after the pitched up note and not too worried about getting swooping sounds ala Whammy pedals, the Electroharmonix POG gets my vote as the most realistic tone I've come across so far.

Cheers,
Alun

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ant' post='10217' date='May 31 2007, 09:58 PM']I'm on the side of the Digitech whammy, it's not natural sounding, but the sound it has is bloody lovely, i love the way it sounds and i'd choose it over any other pitch shifter.[/quote]

+1.

I really wouldnt use anything other than the Whammy for pitch shifting.