Why become a member? ×

Nasty fret clang - What am I doing wrong?

Rich44

Ive been trying to solve this problem for a while now but haven't found much help.

Basically: I get an noisy "impact" sound whenever I fret, of the string contacting the fret. The only way to describe it is a "metal on metal" sound, sort of like if you tap two spoons together (but with added twang), or perhaps if you make a "Teh" sound with your teeth (my desriptions aren't great :) ). Its mainly on the E and A string, but a quieter version of the sound exists on other strings, and its mostly around the 7th-16th frets. Its driving me mental and is really putting me off practising bass.

Is it a technique problem, fret problem, neck problem? Ive tried playing softer and slower and improving my fretting technique but the problem still exists. There aren't many repair shops close enough to take it down to so its something Id have to sort it out myself.

Please please help, before I end up ditching my bass. Grateful for any tips (make them simple).

EQ settings make a big difference to the amount of 'clank' that comes through and it's worth experimenting with maybe less treble.

As you strike the strings are you giving them a lot of 'up and down' as well as 'side to side' movement? Maybe changing how you 'pluck' (!) will make a difference.?

Try playing closer to the bridge too that helps restrict string movement.

Finall you could raise string height.

I like clank btw, when it fits.

It's likely to be insufficient relief in the neck - You need to slacken off the truss rod a tad.

Rather than me re-type and make a mistake or copy and paste and take the credit, have a look at the Gary Willis website for a very good explanation

[url="http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html"]Gary Willis[/url]

[quote name='bassbloke' post='110243' date='Dec 28 2007, 04:10 PM']It's likely to be insufficient relief in the neck - You need to slacken off the truss rod a tad.

Rather than me re-type and make a mistake or copy and paste and take the credit, have a look at the Gary Willis website for a very good explanation

[url="http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html"]Gary Willis[/url][/quote]

That websites confused me, my truss rod is at the bottom of the neck not the top, so would i do it the same direction as if it were at the headstock or different? Im never good with direction :)

Edited by Rich44

With respect, if there's no fret buzz I wouldn't recommend leaping straight into trussrod adjustment but try the aforementioned 1st. I can get loadsa clank and all my trussrod adjustments are fine.

Check your relief as per the site 1st.

Good site if it does need doing though.

To tighten the trussrod/reduce the relief turn clockwise towards the neck/rod whichever end the adjuster is (sometimes both).

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

The other possibility is that you have an insufficient break angle over the nut because your strings are wound too high on the tuning peg - unlikely though. A proud fret is another possibility.

I doubt it's anything to do with playing style if you hear the noise before you even strike a string.

Yet another possibility is that you're by now over-sensitive to it ... it is after all an *acoustic* annoyance on an electric instument - try either cranking up the amp (may be impractical...) or using headphones.

(Keep practising - the 'clank is far less annoying once your rythm's spot-on)

Have a look / check through here - [url="http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzlist.html"]http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Te...s/buzzlist.html[/url]

Although it's for guitar, it's all the same principle.

Hamster

Could just be The Action is a Tad Low..
I remember that sort of thing used to drive me crazy....
Until i was having lessons with a then BBC tv Player...
He got me to take the Action up...[alot]
I hated this at first..impossible to slap [Wrong approach.. :) ]
But with constant Practise ..me old Fingers got stronger and i was away...Slapping and all.
I just hate any noise...and it really shows up when you are DI ing or in the Studio...
And have no time to F*** around with EQ etc..

But everyone has a different touch...so you could also be digging in to much for the action
you have...

As pointed out above...the Gary Willis link is a great start.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='110278' date='Dec 28 2007, 06:05 PM']Could just be The Action is a Tad Low..
I remember that sort of thing used to drive me crazy....
Until i was having lessons with a then BBC tv Player...
He got me to take the Action up...[alot][/quote]

How high? Im not good at judging it, always think Im taking it up too much, is there a too much?

Rich, youve yet to say if this plugged in or accoustically?

If its just when you are practising without being plugged in, I shouldnt let it wind you up to much. A little fret buzz or metallic fret clunk when you are playing unplugged is ok. If it continues when plugged in, I'd start by cahnging strings and then working through a set up guide, (or getting help if you dont feel confident) then if it still persists, its your playing technique.

Do it logically and sequentially, or you may end up chasing your ar5e for ever and swapping basses like Beedster :) (no offence meant bud!)

[size=1][color="#696969"]Actually he doesnt get thru that many, and its not for the same reason as you, hes' in search of ellusive mojo! [/color][/size]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='110491' date='Dec 29 2007, 11:19 AM']Do it logically and sequentially, or you may end up chasing your ar5e for ever and swapping basses like Beedster :) (no offence meant bud!)[/quote]

Lol.....
Reminds me ..when i used to teach From Home...
One Guy was going through High end Basses and Amps Like the clappers..[Rich Family]
Every couple of weeks something new....and always sounding s***e...
With a very very no action...
He then went crusing with a band for 18 months [4 hours playing every night]
Then when i next bumped into him...he had a 70's Jazz with a really high action..
And he had a really good sound...and had got really good articulation...
Constant playing made his left hand fingers really strong..

Garry

A young lad I knew had the same problem, even after I had set his bass up properly with a slightly higher than normal action. We sat down and I watched him play and it transpired that his 'clank' was his left hand fretting technique, in that he was grabbing the neck quite hard in the palm of his hand, curling his thumb over edge of the fretboard and slapping his fingers down on the strings to fret them. We changed his playing style so that his thumb was well placed on the back of the neck and his fingers gently fretted each note before his pick struck the strings.

The point is that we automatically assume the bass is badly set up, or that there is a problem with equipment.....

Hi, you don't say what bass you have but another possibility is that your pickup(s) is/are too high and you're strings are hitting the polepieces. Of course if your pickup doesn't have raised polepieces you can discount that immediately, but worth checking otherwise if only to eliminate the possibility.

Also, are you playing fingerstyle or with a pick? It could be your plucking technique - if it's too hard and in a more downward direction (i.e. down towards the bass, as opposed to the floor) you could be driving the strings towards the frets on the initial pluck, whereas plucking more across the strings will avoid that initial (and therefore most severe part of) motion.

Regards,
Steve.