Why become a member? ×

Tendinitis

Jono Bolton

I've got tendinitis in my left wrist, and a few months ago (in May I think) I had it in my right wrist, probably because I've spent the last 10 years playing bass according to my doctor. I'm currently wearing on of those supports you get, it's like a big tube of elasticated material, but what other ailments have folk had as a result of bass/guitar playing? Just so I know what I can expect :)

Sorry to hear of the tendonitis mate, hope you keep it under control.

I had a very annoying thing happen at a gig a few weeks ago. Halfway through the second set, playing a fairly busy line, and the middle finger on my left (fretting) hand just curled over into a claw shape and locked there :huh:

Panic stations...I had to switch into root-notes mode for the rest of the song, and give my hand a good shaking out aftewards. I realised I had left my watch on (usually take it off to play), and that my recently lowered strap was forcing my wrist into a 90 degree angle. Not good, so back to Funk Position and no problems since.

It was a wake up call to be honest, sod looking "rawk", I want to be playing for as long as I can :)

Cheers,

Si

Well, looking through my copy of "the bassist's guide to injury management, prevention and better health" by Randall Kertz there are chapters that deal with the following bass related conditions:
[list]
[*]repetitive strain injury
[*]stress
[*]Tendonitis
[*]Pinched Nerve
[*]Muscle tightness
[*]carpal tunnel syndrome
[*]ulnar nerve, medial epicondylitis, cubital tunnel syndrome
[*]tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
[*]Thoracic outlet syndrome
[*]trigger finger
[*]blisters
[*]bursitis
[*]ganglion cyst
[*]low back pain
[*]rotator cuff tear
[*]arthritis
[/list]I am happy to recommend Dr Kertz's book - I bought a copy and have picked up a lot of useful info. It is available direct from him at his web site [url="http://www.drkertz.com"]http://www.drkertz.com[/url] for $28 delivered to the UK and I'm sure he'll even sign your copy if you ask him nicely.

Sorry if this post reads like an advert - I have no affiliation with Dr Kertz other than as a happy purchaser of his book

Sorry to hear about your 'injury' Jono - while I'm sure others will provide decent advice on warming up and also avoiding this in future by really changing your technique - i.e. keeping your plucking-hand wrist straight - not bent/curled - when plucking and also keeping you fretting hand equally un-bent - bit like Mr Gary Willis here

I'd also recommend actually taking a break from the bass once in a while. Earlier this year I suffered a bit from a sort of blister/callous thing on both hands due to excessive playing - while I still play every day it's good to take time away from the instrument to rest a bit. When you go back to it warm up into your playing - start slow and steady and try not to playing your most audacious bassline/chops before you've really loosened up.

Anyway - sorry again to hear you are suffering - try and get a 'program' together to try and avoid hurting yourself again in the future.

Sorry to hear of your woes & hopefully R&R and possibly an adjustment to playing style will get you sorted.

Looking down that list I recognise at least 5 as well as [quote]....playing a fairly busy line, and the middle finger on my left (fretting) hand just curled over into a claw shape and locked there[/quote]. For me the latter tends to happen, when it does, within the last few numbers of the set or encore. I tend to put it down to variously[list]
[*]the first gig after a layoff & without a proper practice regime in the break (or evver, I really should try harder)
[*]digging in too hard, so probably tensing up
[*]possibly lack of fluid - it seems to happen most often at the hotter sweatier gigs. I try to have a litre sport bottle of water available for each set, but have to watch our vocalist taking crafty swigs!
[/list]

For myself, and possibly not entirely bass caused, because I have rheumatoid arthritis - which I still reckon all started when I turned over my left ankle badly landing on a loose rug on the "stage" after a Townsend style leap in about 1999, but all medics say has nothing to do with it. [list]
[*]My left (strap) shoulder disintegrated and was replaced coming up for 3 years ago February, has one of these in it [attachment=4377:csra.jpg] and now looks like this [attachment=4380:Shoulder.jpg] with a rather fetching scar
[*]And then last June I had the index finger first knuckle replaced (mouse finger as well as plucking hand) with one of these [attachment=4378:MCP_Rep.jpg] and it looks like [attachment=4379:Hand.jpg]
[/list]

Now it might just be arthritis, but it was the left ankle that went and largely left sided - until the right hand went last year. I made a pretty comprehensive job of smashing my right shoulder surfing in 2001 and that repaired itself. And the right hand could as easily be the amount of time I spend working on the computer (which is a lot) and the fact that I only recently got and ergonomic joystick type mouse to go with the trackball and ordinary mouse that take up desk space and not specifically plucking, but it probably all grist to the mill.

That said the shoulder replacement got me back to a normal strap from a [url="http://www.slider-straps.com/STR/bassclose.html"]Slider Strap[/url] and the replacement knuckle has really made life a lot less painful for playing as well as computer work. And having (probably foolishly) carried on playing throughout I have no immediate intention of giving up just yet

Like others have said a lot of help can be found with a proper warm up, possibly adjusting posture (difficult getting out of a bad posture if you have been playing as long as me)

Edited by WalMan

sorry to hear about it jono...i had this many years ago...a result of too much keyboard work (directory enquiries) and band bass habit.

fingers crossed that with a bit of rest and posture re-think you'll be ok.

the killer was that i had to stop playing bass for a few weeks...but it was worth it in the long run.

fingers crossed for you mano :)