Why become a member? ×

MIJ 62 RI Jazz Bass earthing

Rumple

Hello,
I'm putting together another Jazz bass but this time using a Japanese 62 RI body, the earth from the pots doesn't run through the body to the bridge like most Jazzes, it goes to the rear pick-up cavity where it should then attach to a (copper?) strip which then runs to the bridge externally.

see the attached pic if my discription doesn't make sense.

Where can I get one of these little strips or something similar?

Any help would be appreciated.

R.

[attachment=4362:earth_strip.jpg]

Edited by Rumple

[quote name='BassBod' post='111105' date='Dec 30 2007, 07:49 PM']Its just a strip of thin brass - you can get it from "hobby" shops, I think. I've got a big sheet here PM me if you want some?

BB[/quote]

Thanks for the offer BB.

PM on it's way.

R.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='111399' date='Dec 31 2007, 11:42 AM']I say....

Thats a bit Heath Robinson isnt it?

Would've thought they'd got that bit right! :)[/quote]

Tis a bit odd, I read somewhere they did it like that on the original 62 Jazz so the Japanese did the same on the RI but I have never seen a genuine vintage Jazz with that little brass strip!

no USA or MIM pickguards fit the holes in the body either which is a tad annoying to.

[quote name='BassBod' post='111460' date='Dec 31 2007, 01:17 PM']I've seen them on very old J basses - remember there was a huge cover over the bridge/pup (plus mutes) so it wasn't visible. I guess it was easier than drilling an awkward hole and Leo was always trying to speed things up in the factory....

BB[/quote]

Good point, I hadn't thought about the old bridge covers.

[quote name='King Tut' post='111475' date='Dec 31 2007, 01:43 PM']I needed one for mine and used brass from a hobby shop - looks and works fine.[/quote]

That's good to hear, BB is kindly sending me some brass so I should be hum free in the near future.

Thanks chaps.

R.