Why become a member? ×

Warwick MEC's

Pedro1020

Are they any good? I keep reading and hearing that people change them, which makes me ponder whether the bass is good, I had a quick go on a 5 string warwick corvette £629 but I felt it sounded dry...is there any warwick you could preference for me with quality sound for jazz? but I dont wanna buy brand new, whats the best second hand that doesnt have a crap re-sale value?

The JJ MEC set in my Thumb BO4 sound just fine to me, sufficiently different to the sound of my Fender P and Lakland. If I hadn't liked the sound of the MEC's I wouldn't have bought it.
They can be a bit clean and dry (until you dig in) but I find them less dry in the Thumb than in my old ash bodied Corvette. IMHO they suit the bass well, can't think of a reason why I would change 'em.
You might also want to think about the amp? Through my TE I'm happy - but I couldn't get a sound I liked through the house Ashdown MAG300 the other week.

Regarding the Jazz thing - Outtoplayjazz might be able to help you there....he uses a Vette $$, don't know if he uses it for jazz though. Don't play jazz me'self, but strangely enough I think my DJ5 would cover this best out of my 3.

Edited by martthebass

Thanks Mart - Yes, the Corvette $$ is quite suitable for jazz. The twin humbuckers which can be switched between parallel and series, etc. have an infinite quantity of sounds. On the other hand, if you want something softer and wollier sounding, have a go with the FNA Jazzman version of the 'Vette. That's a lovely bass for jazz gigs, but very expensive at around £1100 from most dealers.

As for people swapping out the MEC pickups, I think it's just a case of personal preference. I love the MEC sound, personally. Crisp and crunchy with a bottom end growl as well.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys, they have been helpful. My intentions are to get warwick (thumb or streamer as they are best shaped for my preference) work with the MEC's and fiddle about, if they don't match my sound intentions....I'll change them. EMG or seymour duncan are on my mind

Just out of interest. I had my mind on a warwick streamer lx (second hand) are they good as the streamer stage 1?

Edited by Pedro1020

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='111083' date='Dec 30 2007, 07:07 PM']Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys, they have been helpful. My intentions are to get warwick (thumb or streamer as they are best shaped for my preference) work with the MEC's and fiddle about, if they don't match my sound intentions....I'll change them. EMG or seymour duncan are on my mind

Just out of interest. I had my mind on a warwick streamer lx (second hand) are they good as the streamer stage 1?[/quote]

Depends on how you class "as good" - they're very different. The LXs are bolt-on, and some people (me included ) really don't like the chunky profile of Warwick's bolt-on necks, and come with MEC JJ pickups. The Stage I is through-neck (maple), and comes with a totally different electronics package to the LX. It feels and sounds quite different to the LX. To my mind, it also has a much nicer neck profile and a smoother sound. But it's also quite a lot more expensive than the LX (though not as expensive at the Stage II).

I changed the MEC stuff in a Stage I (EMG pickups and Aguilar circuit). The Aguilar circuit was a big improvement over the MEC, but the EMG's weren't that much better - in fact, I thought they were pretty similar in tone. More extreme top end and lows, but not that different.

BB

I'll accept them in the end I think...maybe Im blaming the settings on the amp in the shop haha! Bassbods EMG circuit interested me and may have to try it sometime in my warwick onwer ship...I've been longing for one! but am thinking of the corvette design too now, as Ive been fully told now about the streamer lx and the stage I and II

I may settle with the corvette I had a go on, its a 5 string, ash body £629

Ill get it!

[quote name='finnbass' post='111155' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:20 PM']Woah! They are £499 here:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4272"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4272[/url]

You might even find them cheaper...shop around a bit.[/quote]

lol can I trust these websites?..cmon its showng a 4 string in the pic..Id rather see it to believe it...in reality!

Edited by Pedro1020

[quote name='finnbass' post='111200' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:16 PM']It's a stock shot. Can you afford to waste £130? If you can..go ahead.[/quote]

Ah ok, I'll have to show this to the shop and try and see if they can lower their price I mean I get all the gubbins and care kit but if they cud go down abit to compensate this online price...I'll be HAPPY!!

Have a look on www.warwick.de - forum. They're a friendly lot and you may find a nice 5'er if you post a want ad. I got my BO Thumb off the site last year, couple of months old and mint for well under shop price. Warwicks aren't everybody's favourite bass at the mo so you can grab a bargain. FWIW also I would go for a non-ash body standard 'vette they don't hold value too well (maybe excepting a $$) - I found this out last year when I was trading up to the Thumb!
IMHO I think the bubinga or ovangkol bodied versions have a tighter sound and the body stands up to wear and tear better.

Good luck

[quote name='finnbass' post='111236' date='Dec 31 2007, 12:13 AM']Good idea! Be fair with them, take postage into account, and ask them to price-match.

Thomann have it for £519 which includes postage so that would appear to be the price to aim for.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_5_nat.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_corvette_std_5_nat.htm[/url]

I've bought literally dozens of basses online and have never experienced any problems. In fact, you are more likely to get a 'factory fresh' bass than some old nail that's been hanging around in the showroom for ages gathering dust and being thrashed by complete d1ckheads. :huh:[/quote]

Cool! thanks for the heads up! haha...yeah, I don't admire the kids who cant play, trying out the ultimate instruments.. :) This ones kept in the back, in a warwick hard/soft case, so its not left on show/demo, gathering dust thank god. I'll shop around locally......and online thanks to finnbass! cheers mate.
My friend has some EMG bass pickups unused, so if I dont admire the MEC's...I have alts :huh:

[quote name='finnbass' post='111507' date='Dec 31 2007, 02:35 PM']Do take sensible precautions, ie stick to reputable stores, check they have the item actually in stock and pay with a credit card that has payment protection. If you are not sure about a dealer, just ask on here. Shops like Thomann are rock-solid however IMO and there have been a number of threads which would support this. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks again finnbass, the shop I had a go and specifically looked at was at "guitar works" in Reading, and Dawsons too but they kinda were more detailing to the rockbass.
I'll ask if some places are shifty and warn.

[quote name='finnbass' post='111155' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:20 PM']Woah! They are £499 here:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4272"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4272[/url]

You might even find them cheaper...shop around a bit.[/quote]

I've used Soundslive a lot and not had any problems. In fact I bought a 5 string Rockbass Corvette to go with my 4 string Ash Corvette back in November...

I wish I had paid the extra for a 'proper' Warwick now rather than the Rockbass to have a proper matching pair. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with a 5 at the time though.

+1 for Soundslive and Thomanne. I've used them both and Soundslive are based up here and I know the guys personally so can vouch for the service that I've had.

re. the MEC's. Don't go diving in changing pups around. I'm not saying that the stock MEC's are the best things since sliced stuff but I've done a lot of messing about with my Wicks over the years and you'd be hard pushed to find a significant improvement in tone by swapping out for SD, Barts, EMG's etc. What you may get is a 'different tone' and that is not the same as a 'better tone'. If you have a mate that will let you swap over without committing to buy then good and dandy but don't dive in and buy replacements for the heck of it.

Hi Pedro

I have a steamer pro m 5 that I am not getting on with at the moment if that is the sort of thing you might be looking for. In any case you are welcome to come and try it. I am based just outside of Oxford and I am guessing from your previous posts that you are in Reading not a million miles away.

All the best
Pete