Why become a member? ×

Arrrgh I want to smash something up!

Huw

Picked up my bass after having a break over Christmas, and it appears I've forgotten how to play.

My fingers move like they've never felt the instrument before and I can't find any inspiration. Feeling pissed off now, so I put it away.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something I can try and learn to get back into it? I was thinking something classical-like so I can learn some nice arpeggios and patterns while I build up my right hand separately with some finger speed drills.

I've got a gig tomorrow. It looks like I'll be using a pick.

Matey - first off don't stress out too much - it'll only make you feel worse - my first thought is just try running some simple finger exercises - get your metronome out and just work through some basic finger coordination stuff like running one finger one fret - alternating notes through scales etc. Keep it steady and in time.

This can be a good way just to re-familiarize yourself with the neck, then jam along to some music you love and that inspires you - take that good feeling from that tune and picture playing like that with your band - it's not foolproof but is one way of getting motivated and getting the reasons you play bass into some kind of perspective.

Hope it helps - best I can suggest right now.

M