Why become a member? ×

Picking up a DB on Saturday

waynepunkdude

It's great seeing so many see the light.

If you look at my sig and follow the [url="http://www.underdrive.co.uk"]Underdrive[/url] link to our set list you'll see all the tunes we cover. The format is acoustic guitar and double bass with cajon/percussion thrown in from time to time. It works, it isn't loud, and the punters seem to dig it.

There are a few acoustic format tunes on the [url="http://www.even-hand.co.uk"]Evenhand[/url] site as well.

Once you tackle the physicality of DB, the musical world is once again your oyster. :)

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='972999' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:59 PM']If you look at my sig and follow the [url="http://www.underdrive.co.uk"]Underdrive[/url] link to our set list you'll see all the tunes we cover. The format is acoustic guitar and double bass with cajon/percussion thrown in from time to time. It works, it isn't loud, and the punters seem to dig it.[/quote]

We do old '60s rocksteady covers (and throw in our originals) with that line-up, three voices, also with the occasional 2-part kazoo harmonies, mine is boinging on a wire wrapped around my machines. We've been meaning to go busk all summer but circumstances have conspired against us. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='973653' date='Oct 1 2010, 10:08 AM']... and as for your knob ... :)

Sorry to lower the tone but its Friday (its 5 o'clock and its Crackerjack!)[/quote]

No need for a DB for that, wait 5 'o Clock where are you?

I'll post pics and details tomorrow and then I'll tell you about the DB :lol:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='975267' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:23 PM']I'm getting a little buzz from the bridge when I play the A string, what do I do?[/quote]
I'm a DB n00b so this is half stuff I've read and half guess-work.

Does it buzz on every "fret" or just in certain places? Mine buzzes in certain places so I've been told it's most likely an uneven fingerboard, which I think costs around £70 to sort. I've just put on some weedwackers and they don't buzz, so I guess nylon wrapped strings are an option.

If it buzzes everywhere I would guess it's either the bridge rattling against the body due to being badly fitted, or possibly the string grooves in the bridge or nut are too wide. I thought about trying to pad out the grooves on mine with tissue or something because I'm sure I've seen my brother do it on his guitar, but that might be an awful idea, I really don't know.

Hopefully someone else can offer some more useful advice...

Edited by JoshJ

Funnily enough I've just been sorting out my bridge. The action on mine was way too high so I took a knife and sandpaper to it and lowered the height and cut deeper notches - yep, you guessed it, I cut too far on the A string so that it clicked against the fingerboard and buzzed like hell. In this case either you can raise the bridge by shimming some hardboard under the player-side foot (should really be glued) or do as I do which is to get hold of an adjustable bridge with wheels on it so raise and lower it. Just fitted the latter and I think I've just about got it right. If its the fingerboard that s the problem unfortunately that needs professional straightening (re-shooting). Maybe you could do a bodge job for now and put something in the A notch to raise the string slightly?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='975366' date='Oct 2 2010, 08:02 PM']Yes, I did the same and it works perfectly well, although I got a little clip on tuner as well for £7 that is more convenient when you are at home and not plugged in.[/quote]

Cheers Bilbo.

I'm going to spend the evening trying to get 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' to a reasonable standard.