Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith basses & EBS in Brighton

WalMan

Just having my post Christmas wander round Brighton this afternoon, call into GAK, take the MP3 player back to Richer (and the replacement is still not sorted :) I think it may be the PC), try to find something to do for 5 or 6 hours while the missus sits round her friends house and polishes off a bottle of wine & a fair bit if Grand Marnier - [i]ANYWAY[/i] had a quick look in the guitar place over the top of the clothes shop at the north end of Sydney Street and they have a couple of EBS combos (Gorm 15 & Neo Drome 12) three heads and some cabs as well as 3 Ken Smith Jazz basses (a fretless and two fretted as I recall)

Sorry all a bit vague as I cannot remember the name of the shop or exactly what they have as I am presently trying to surpress GAS but if that's the sort of thing you are looking for and you are down south it may be worth a look. The basses were around the £950 mark I think.

[quote name='WalMan' post='110802' date='Dec 30 2007, 02:15 AM']Just having my post Christmas wander round Brighton this afternoon, call into GAK, take the MP3 player back to Richer (and the replacement is still not sorted :) I think it may be the PC), try to find something to do for 5 or 6 hours while the missus sits round her friends house and polishes off a bottle of wine & a fair bit if Grand Marnier - [i]ANYWAY[/i] had a quick look in the guitar place over the top of the clothes shop at the north end of Sydney Street and they have a couple of EBS combos (Gorm 15 & Neo Drome 12) three heads and some cabs as well as 3 Ken Smith Jazz basses (a fretless and two fretted as I recall)

Sorry all a bit vague as I cannot remember the name of the shop or exactly what they have as I am presently trying to surpress GAS but if that's the sort of thing you are looking for and you are down south it may be worth a look. The basses were around the £950 mark I think.[/quote]
Bernie Goodfellow sells the Ken Smith Design basses and EBS gear so maybe Bernie has a new shopfront? Bass_ferret will probably know the answer to this one Al...

It's not Bernie so far as I am aware.

The shop is in an attic over a clothes shop and has been there for a while now. Seems to carry a lot of second hand stuff.

I always have a look in on the way past because I tend to park at that end of town and walk down through North Lanes. When you can get in the College car park is £3 all day on Saturdays so a lot cheaper than the normal NCP rip off parking

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='110859' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:31 AM']Bernies showroom is still in the basement of Seven Dials Music - at Seven Dials. The main GB workshop and EBS warehouse has been moved to Peacehaven.

Dont know what is going on at Sydney Street.[/quote]

Do you know if there's a good selection of EBS amps and cabinets at Seven Dials?

[quote name='WalMan' post='110963' date='Dec 30 2007, 02:19 PM']It's not Bernie so far as I am aware.

The shop is in an attic over a clothes shop and has been there for a while now. Seems to carry a lot of second hand stuff.

I always have a look in on the way past because I tend to park at that end of town and walk down through North Lanes. When you can get in the College car park is £3 all day on Saturdays so a lot cheaper than the normal NCP rip off parking[/quote]
Mmm.. Sounds worth a visit, but as I'm GAS free at the moment, better not :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='111000' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:25 PM']A fair selection. All the heads plus Pro-line, Neo-line and Classic cabs, Gorm and Drome combos and rumour has it the new all bottle Classic 450 head. Since he moved the workshop there is a lot more room for display.[/quote]

Yup - the Classic 450 head is there... top secret! (I suspect that is one of the things that EBS will be unveuling at NAMM - but I am sure Bernie will show it you!

He normally carries each of the heads and at least a combo, but if there is anything you want to specifically try out, it's worth giving him a phone as he can usually get the stuff back to the shop from the warehouse pretty quickly. He's great for sorting stuff out like that. When I was getting my stuff, I was trying both the prolines and the neos in 10s 12s and 15 formats. I don't know who gets most excited in situations like that... Bernie or the customer!

Don't know about Sydney Street but I'll probably check it out in a couple of weeks when I'm next down there.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='111191' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:06 PM']Come to think of it, that sounds like Brighton Guitars

[url="http://www.brightonguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.brightonguitars.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Yup .. just came across this advert in Friday Ad.

Brighton Guitars Fender Guitar Bargains . . . check out our new range of EBS Bass Equipment, Tanglewood Acoustics, Kent Smith Bases AND as always a great range of Secondhand and Vintage Guitars 1st Floor, 24a Sydney Street, North Laines, Brighton BN1 4EN. 01273 628444 Christmas Deals, Guvnor Guitar Pack, Guitar Stand, Case, Tuner, Lead, Amp, Strings - £169 01273 628444 1st floor 24a Sydney Street North Laines, Brighton, BN1 4EN

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='111191' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:06 PM']Come to think of it, that sounds like Brighton Guitars

[url="http://www.brightonguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.brightonguitars.co.uk/[/url][/quote]
Yup that looks about right.

I always have a look as I go past but it does always seem on the expensive side (as #2 son has said in the past). I also recall being in there one day when they were having a hoot about having bought in something really cheap from someone who did not know what they had. Now fair enough that's business after all, but if it were me I think I might be a little more circumspect about shouting it to the world at large

Drove down to Brighton from Manchester today to demo the EBS cabs I've been looking at in Bernie's basement.

Spent all afternoon there, and came away with a couple of NEOs....4 x 10 and 2 x 12. Very happy bunny :)

What a top bloke Bernie is. How lucky you lot down there are to have a guy like that on your doorsteps! Well worth the 8-9 hours driving for me.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='113213' date='Jan 3 2008, 09:31 PM']Drove down to Brighton from Manchester today to demo the EBS cabs I've been looking at in Bernie's basement.

Spent all afternoon there, and came away with a couple of NEOs....4 x 10 and 2 x 12. Very happy bunny :)

What a top bloke Bernie is. How lucky you lot down there are to have a guy like that on your doorsteps! Well worth the 8-9 hours driving for me.[/quote]
Was that an earthquake I just saw reported in Manchester :huh:

That's almost as keen as me driving to Hartlepool & back in a day to pick up an eBay purchase by #2 son who omitted to tell me it was "pick up only" when he phoned me whilst I was away on business to use my account to bid.

[quote name='WalMan' post='113215' date='Jan 3 2008, 09:34 PM']Was that an earthquake I just saw reported in Manchester :)[/quote]

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. Not gigging until a week on Saturday, and can't wait.

Bernie set up my Marcus Miller Jazz for me today, and it plays better than it already did. And those Neos make it sound monstrous!

He also played a Spitfire he's made, but with Rumour electronics in it........and that was just off the scale. It's given me serious cravings for a GB now (I nearly bought a Goodfellow bass about 15 years ago, and still regret not buying it). How do I convince Mrs Thunderthumbs to stick £2000 under my pillow?

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='113213' date='Jan 3 2008, 09:31 PM']Drove down to Brighton from Manchester today to demo the EBS cabs I've been looking at in Bernie's basement.

What a top bloke Bernie is. How lucky you lot down there are to have a guy like that on your doorsteps! Well worth the 8-9 hours driving for me.[/quote]

If I'd known you were coming I might have had one of your 4x10's off you lol

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='113253' date='Jan 3 2008, 10:48 PM']I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. Not gigging until a week on Saturday, and can't wait.

Bernie set up my Marcus Miller Jazz for me today, and it plays better than it already did. And those Neos make it sound monstrous!

He also played a Spitfire he's made, but with Rumour electronics in it........and that was just off the scale. It's given me serious cravings for a GB now (I nearly bought a Goodfellow bass about 15 years ago, and still regret not buying it). How do I convince Mrs Thunderthumbs to stick £2000 under my pillow?[/quote]

Bernie's like a kid in his own sweetshop! He loves it.

I reckon that Spitfire you saw is the one that Psychoandy is going down to collect... It's a lovely piece of kit that one.

I've never heard of anybody go down to Bernie's without leaving with a massive smile on their face. Maybe I'm biased, but I really do believe the best of British basses and amps (OK, I know they aren't British - good job really, cos they wouldn't work properly) are in Bernie's BASSment.

The combination of Dick's electronics and Bernies attention to detail with regard to the basses themselves, it's a winning combination. I would urge people to take a look!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='113427' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:16 AM']I reckon that Spitfire you saw is the one that Psychoandy is going down to collect... It's a lovely piece of kit that one.[/quote]

He did mention that someone's going to collect it so you may well be right. Well he's a lucky bloke, that's for certain....it looked and sounded awesome......put my newly set up Jazz to shame!