Why become a member? ×

Overdrive Advice

CPBass

Hi Dave,

Looking for some direction here to some of my sonic needs.

You may have seen my discussion with bassmankev about the differences between my MXR Blowtorch and one of your O/D distortion units.

I find the Blowtorch a little OTT and synthy and am looking for a 2 stage unit to compliment my active bass set up and Ashdown EVO head (valve preamp). The sound Im looking for is simply more organic than the blowtorch with both o/d stages being adjustable. Im finding my current unit has too much of a jump when switching between basic operation and engaging the "torch" button.

Ive read about most of your stuff, do you have any advice on which unit would serve me best.
I must admit I do like the look and spiel about the VT2 Dual Bass Custom unit.

Cheers

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='110953' date='Dec 30 2007, 01:59 PM']Hi Dave,

Looking for some direction here to some of my sonic needs.

You may have seen my discussion with bassmankev about the differences between my MXR Blowtorch and one of your O/D distortion units.

I find the Blowtorch a little OTT and synthy and am looking for a 2 stage unit to compliment my active bass set up and Ashdown EVO head (valve preamp). The sound Im looking for is simply more organic than the blowtorch with both o/d stages being adjustable. Im finding my current unit has too much of a jump when switching between basic operation and engaging the "torch" button.

Ive read about most of your stuff, do you have any advice on which unit would serve me best.
I must admit I do like the look and spiel about the VT2 Dual Bass Custom unit.

Cheers

Col[/quote]

Hi Col,

There are a good number of VT2 owners on this forum and they might give a less biased view :)

All I will say is all my bass pedals are design to work with bass instruments and developed with much help from BC members.

Dave

Hi mate, I used to own a DHA VT2 so could be of help. The sound it seems you're looking for sounds very much like the vt2. I used to keep channel 1 on as a mild grind then use the second channel for more hardcore distortion, but it never really sounded harsh or synthy. Has a very 'organic' sound as you say so it looks liek you may like it. There is (or was, not been on it for a while) soundclips on daves site so check them out maybe?

I only got rid of mine cos I wanted a green big muff and had no other way to fund it!

Good luck in your search for sonic niceness

[quote name='umcoo' post='111992' date='Jan 1 2008, 09:23 PM']Hi mate, I used to own a DHA VT2 so could be of help. The sound it seems you're looking for sounds very much like the vt2. I used to keep channel 1 on as a mild grind then use the second channel for more hardcore distortion, but it never really sounded harsh or synthy. Has a very 'organic' sound as you say so it looks liek you may like it. There is (or was, not been on it for a while) soundclips on daves site so check them out maybe?

I only got rid of mine cos I wanted a green big muff and had no other way to fund it!

Good luck in your search for sonic niceness[/quote]

There is a new lower cost VT2 coming out in the next week or so.

It's a VT2-Dual-Std-Bass with an unpainted box and less features than the standard VT2-Dual-bass. It will be on ebay and the website soon.

Might be what you are looking for?

Dave

Hi Dave, i recently read the review of your VT1-Mk 3 in this month’s Bass Guitar magazine and I have to say it sounds like the dogs bollocks lol. I live in Devon and was wondering id there is anyway of trying the pedal out?

I have been searching for the right o/d bass pedal of ages now and have tried my different manufactures but they all seem to disappoint when it comes to holding the bottom end.

I was also wondering what extra features the VT2 had over the VT1 as I am looking for a pedal that will keep me entertained for many years to come.

Thanks very much.

[quote name='umcoo' post='111992' date='Jan 1 2008, 09:23 PM']Hi mate, I used to own a DHA VT2 so could be of help. The sound it seems you're looking for sounds very much like the vt2. I used to keep channel 1 on as a mild grind then use the second channel for more hardcore distortion, but it never really sounded harsh or synthy. Has a very 'organic' sound as you say so it looks liek you may like it. There is (or was, not been on it for a while) soundclips on daves site so check them out maybe?

Good luck in your search for sonic niceness[/quote]

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Im getting more and more into the idea.

Sounds cool

C

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='112461' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:59 PM']Hi Dave, i recently read the review of your VT1-Mk 3 in this month’s Bass Guitar magazine and I have to say it sounds like the dogs bollocks lol. I live in Devon and was wondering id there is anyway of trying the pedal out?

I have been searching for the right o/d bass pedal of ages now and have tried my different manufactures but they all seem to disappoint when it comes to holding the bottom end.

I was also wondering what extra features the VT2 had over the VT1 as I am looking for a pedal that will keep me entertained for many years to come.

Thanks very much.[/quote]

Yes, please come round and try one out. If we time it right then I will have some Vt2's in as well.

I live just outside Dolton which is near Winkleigh. PM me for numbers, etc.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='112547' date='Jan 2 2008, 08:05 PM']Yes, please come round and try one out. If we time it right then I will have some Vt2's in as well.

I live just outside Dolton which is near Winkleigh. PM me for numbers, etc.

Dave[/quote]

Sounds good to me lol… in one of my threads ‘jwbassman’ has shown me pictures of his VT1 with a custom black/red paint job… how much would one of those set me back?

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='112797' date='Jan 3 2008, 11:45 AM']Sounds good to me lol… in one of my threads ‘jwbassman’ has shown me pictures of his VT1 with a custom black/red paint job… how much would one of those set me back?[/quote]

The black and red does look rather sexy. Id also like to know how much extra the custom paint job would set me back.

Cheers Dave

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='112895' date='Jan 3 2008, 01:55 PM']The black and red does look rather sexy. Id also like to know how much extra the custom paint job would set me back.

Cheers Dave

Col[/quote]

No extra charge for custom paint jobs for BC members.

Dave

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='112797' date='Jan 3 2008, 11:45 AM']Sounds good to me lol… in one of my threads ‘jwbassman’ has shown me pictures of his VT1 with a custom black/red paint job… how much would one of those set me back?[/quote]

Same price as a normal Purist for BC members. Just say if you want the different knobs as well.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='112981' date='Jan 3 2008, 03:45 PM']Same price as a normal Purist for BC members. Just say if you want the different knobs as well.

Dave[/quote]

Cool thanks Dave… How long will it take to get hold of a VT1 or VT2 with custom b/r paint? Is there a waiting list?

Edited by Jonny Walker

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='112990' date='Jan 3 2008, 03:57 PM']Cool thanks Dave… How long will it take to get hold of one? Is there a waiting list?[/quote]

They take about 2 weeks.

But, I have 2 VT1-MK3-Bass and a VT1-Std-Bass in stock.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Thats a fair deal. Im attempting to deal a few items in order to fund a VT2 Dual Bass Custom. Im waiting for the Bass Compressor at the moment. Will the compressor draw enough juice from a Diago power supply?

Cant wait!!!!!

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='112998' date='Jan 3 2008, 04:06 PM']Cheers Dave,

Thats a fair deal. Im attempting to deal a few items in order to fund a VT2 Dual Bass Custom. Im waiting for the Bass Compressor at the moment. Will the compressor draw enough juice from a Diago power supply?

Cant wait!!!!!

Col[/quote]

Hi Col,

When did you order the compressor as I can't see an order from someone called Col or Colin?

The Vt1-Bass-Compressor will draw about 150mA at 12VDC but will require about 300mA at switch on, can the Diago supply 12VDC? It needs to be well regulated or there will be hum. The pedals do work at 9VDC but there is a reduced output level and some loss of tone so we recommend 12VDC.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='113010' date='Jan 3 2008, 04:20 PM']Hi Col,

When did you order the compressor as I can't see an order from someone called Col or Colin?

The Vt1-Bass-Compressor will draw about 150mA at 12VDC but will require about 300mA at switch on, can the Diago supply 12VDC? It needs to be well regulated or there will be hum. The pedals do work at 9VDC but there is a reduced output level and some loss of tone so we recommend 12VDC.

Dave[/quote]

It came through ebay under Ali Price. Make any sense?

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='118543' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:18 PM']Hey Dave, thanks very much for the chat on the phone the other night… I know I already mentioned this but I had a good look at the twin bass and I couldn’t see the colour control on the face or back…[/quote]

Hi,

Yes, it was good to talk with you as well as I do welcome comments about what people really want.

The twin does not have the colour feature. It's because of the way the switching is done.

Dave