Why become a member? ×

Which Warwick body shape?

dub_junkie

[quote name='tauzero' post='112417' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:01 PM']I'm a bit biased as I've got two Thumbs. Must admit that I didn't take to the shape immediately though.

The Streamer I find rather [size=3]clunky around the top horn area[/size], as I do Spectors. I think it's because it's [size=3]so thick and without the taper of something like a Fender[/size] or the additional featuring of a Rick.[/quote]

I defend your right to dislike the Streamer entirely but I find it a strange comment that a Warwick or a Spector is 'clunky' or 'thick' around the top horn compared to a Fender as the latter is way thicker (front to back) than the former! I could be misinterpreting your definition of the thickness to mean the width but even then I think the Fender would be wider...

As I say, you can hate the Streamer shape with a vengeance but I'm missing something re. the above :)

[quote name='RichBowman' post='112439' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:31 PM']Are they still making the 'Alien' acoustic bass these days?

That was a bit of an interesting take if I remember rightly.

Rich[/quote]

Still in production but not made in Germany as the early models were, looks the same though.

I voted for the Streamer. I've owned both a Streamer Stage I and a Thumb NT. From a looks point of view, I actually prefer the Thumb, but I always had a problem with neck dive. The Streamer, on the other hand, is really nicely balanced.

Edited by bassaussie

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='112433' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:20 PM']I defend your right to dislike the Streamer entirely but I find it a strange comment that a Warwick or a Spector is 'clunky' or 'thick' around the top horn compared to a Fender as the latter is way thicker (front to back) than the former! I could be misinterpreting your definition of the thickness to mean the width but even then I think the Fender would be wider...[/quote]
I mean the top to bottom thickness rather than the depth (front to back). The Streamer doesn't have a taper on the top horn which the Fender does - in fact, it gets thicker.

[attachment=4486:composite.gif]

Top - the sexy Thumb.
Middle - the awkward Streamer.
Bottom - the half-a-dinosaur-like Precision ("thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end" - Anne Elk).

Note - I'm not saying that Fenders have thin top horns (far from it) but that they taper in a natural way rather than getting thicker and then thinner. Still, the poll results so far put the Streamer ahead of the Thumb, which just shows what a poorly evolved sense of aesthetics most bass players possess. :)

No dinosaurs were harmed in the making of this post.

• Like 1

I was considering it from the deepest part of the cut away. The Fender 'horn' is pretty wide and then as you say gradually tapers to a point, the Warwick is pretty constant width along the horn. From experience I've found that you can grip the Streamer a lot easier around this point than you can a P or J bass... not that you need to so it is a pointless debate :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='114504' date='Jan 6 2008, 01:39 AM']I do like a Corvette when double bucked. Joint second in that case when in a dark reddy wood.[/quote]
Mines in black,but the grain pattern shows through.Bloody heavy though!