Why become a member? ×

Which Warwick body shape?

dub_junkie

I tried a couple of Warwicks in SC Glasgow City Centre yesterday.afterwards I took away one of their printed catalogues and leafing through it it struck me how many shapes they do.
I'm not asking which is best,or about woods or p/ups - more to do with the basic shape and aesthetics when viewed straight on from in front of it.so all Streamers whether they're BO or NT are lumped together and the same for each model
I've listed all their main body shapes bar the signature and acoustic/EUB models. I also included the Fortress as its back as a Rock bass and was around a fair number of years in the 90's.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='111068' date='Dec 30 2007, 06:30 PM']I voted thumb as i really like the overall shape and feel of them[/quote]

I second ( or whatever the count is currently on this shape!) that as it's one of the most original (not a Spector copy - I remember talking to Stuart Specter himself about how that nice Mr Wilfer 'borrowed' [at first for a long, long time without paying any royalties] the shape for the Streamer at a NAMM show...) shapes for a bass since....It almost seems to be the wood it's made from if you know what I mean (or not!).

I remember Martin Sims put a load of his LEDs in a Thumb thru-neck (nice!) and when he let it go to generate some spondulies we were both sad to see it no more. BTW - Martin also fitted his LEDs in the signature Thumb for a certain Mr Bruce.

The Thumb bass from Warwick - a cool instrument.

Just some thoughts...

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='BigRedX' post='111001' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:29 PM']Sorry the only Warwick I like is the Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Bass

And although it's a great sounding and playing bass (at least the fretless version I've tried is) it's not worth anything like the £4K asking price.[/quote]

Almost like warwicks answer to a wal bass

Edited by kevbass

I went for the Buzzard in the end. I used to own one but sadly moved her on as she was too much of a statement to walk on stage with. Sounded the dogs bollox tho.

I got the Fortress Masterman which although discontinued is still my fave "standard" Warwick shape. A very well balanced beast. The dolphin would come next.

Edited by Voodoosnake

All Warwicks are art, voting for just one is a difficult thing to do but the Infinity with cocobola top wood through neck with f holes is just perfection and so it get my vote although I have a $$ wich for an off the peg is all the bass anyone needs.

I have to say I voted Streamer as I think that aesthetically (along with Spector's NS) it is the best looking but I was really struggling not to vote Corvette. However... ultimately I prefer my Streamer Corvette (avatar bass and similar to the Infinity) as it combines some of the best of both basses; body concave/convex contouring of the Streamer (+NT) and the balance (aided by the hollow chambers) of the Corvette.

The Dolphin is still a spectacular bass but doesn't suit everyone, though it does help if you are over 6 foot tall!

A Year ago i wouild have said the Dolphin
A Month ago i would have said The Corvette
A week ago i would have said the Thumb
But now i have to say the streamer as im buying one soon enough

I like em all though , apart from
Vampyre
Stryker
Buzzard

Not really my kinda basses

I'm a bit biased as I've got two Thumbs. Must admit that I didn't take to the shape immediately though.

The Streamer I find rather clunky around the top horn area, as I do Spectors. I think it's because it's so thick and without the taper of something like a Fender or the additional featuring of a Rick.