Why become a member? ×

Macca's bass - isolated

EBS_freak

[url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-group-204.html"]http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-group-204.html[/url]

Whilst replying to a post by SMART, I thought I would create this post to throw it open to a wider audience. Just goes to show, a goofy bass sound in the mix can come out sounding great....!

Enjoy!

Sounds really dead and woolly, doesn't it? But he's got a definite feel there. You can also hear the James Jamerson influences too.

Talking of which, there are also Jamerson solo tracks on that site too. Check out [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-group-151.html"]What's Goin' On.[/url] Again, terrible sound but what a bassline.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='111310' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:40 AM']Sounds really dead and woolly, doesn't it? But he's got a definite feel there. You can also hear the James Jamerson influences too.

Talking of which, there are also Jamerson solo tracks on that site too. Check out [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-group-151.html"]What's Goin' On.[/url] Again, terrible sound but what a bassline.[/quote]

What you describe as 'terrible sound' is pure bliss to the ears of others. Thank goodness there are all sorts of basses/strings etc to enable a wide palette of sounds.

[quote name='Hutton' post='111322' date='Dec 31 2007, 09:27 AM']What you describe as 'terrible sound' is pure bliss to the ears of others. Thank goodness there are all sorts of basses/strings etc to enable a wide palette of sounds.[/quote]
Gotta admit, I love the sound of it too. And the playing which is really good. How amazing to hear the spill from the rest of the tracks!

[quote name='Hutton' post='111322' date='Dec 31 2007, 09:27 AM']What you describe as 'terrible sound' is pure bliss to the ears of others. Thank goodness there are all sorts of basses/strings etc to enable a wide palette of sounds.[/quote]
Apologies - should add that that's only my opinion - you're absolutely right!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='111448' date='Dec 31 2007, 02:55 PM']sorry guys, I think it sounds terrible! :)[/quote]
+1
How many of us would be happy if that's the best sound we could get? You'd throw your gear on a skip. But the playing is outstanding and most importantly the bass line itself is wonderful.

[quote name='stewblack' post='111520' date='Dec 31 2007, 03:20 PM']+1
How many of us would be happy if that's the best sound we could get? You'd throw your gear on a skip. But the playing is outstanding and most importantly the bass line itself is wonderful.[/quote]

Once again for the benefit of those not quite getting the point here. It's your opinion. No more, no less. Everybody is entitled to their point of view. I will defend the right to express personal opinion to my dying day. However, why should the sound you like be the sound I like?

Edited by Hutton

A lot of the Beatles stuff was recorded in dual mono so if you pan all the way to the left or right you get bass and drums on the left channel and guitar and vocals on the right etc

Firstly, by isolating the bass only, you're going to lose a load of the richness in overtones, but I think the guy has done a fair job.

Listening to it, that's the sound of the 60's. Guys in studios i know spend hundreds trying to recreate 'that' sound! In fact, I've tried for years. When mixed with other instruments, that is how a bass should sound! I thin Paul is a legend and I can only respect the way he goes about making music. His choice in musical accompaniests is also amazing, what a band!

[quote name='Hutton' post='111561' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:19 PM']Once again for the benefit of those not quite getting the point here. It's your opinion. No more, no less. Everybody is entitled to their point of view. I will defend the right to express personal opinion to my dying day. However, why should the sound you like be the sound I like?[/quote]
Well, absolutely. Couldn't agree more and didn't think I needed to state every time that it's just my point of view. Took that as read.

Lets not get into all this again! Whenever anyone takes umbrage with my views, I just shrug it off. This forum should be respectful, but lets not dress everyone in cotton wool. If you disagree, fair enough, and it's great you can say it!

I've been on other forums where everyone is so boringly respectful, just completely consensus driven, you end up with the most boring forum in the world. But I've been on others where there's anarchy and people being insulted and all sorts!

A comfortable middle ground should be sought.

Which is pretty much what Paul McCartney's last album was! Boom Boom :-)

personally for me i never got this maca as a bass 'god' thing untill i tried playing a few of his lines. nowhere man is a great line but when you play it in isolation you don't get the way it weaves through and carries the song as do many of his lines. For me his tone works in the context of the band, A friend of mine plays a thunderbird through an Ashdown amp, a combo which would bring horror to the ears of many but it actually sounds great with the rest of the band.