Why become a member? ×

Grover Titan tuners

neepheid

I fancy something a little different for one of my projects, so I'm eyeing up Grover Titan machine heads. However, I find their size to be variably reported online from 11/16" (basspartsresource) to 21/32" (grover themselves) to 5/8" (some canadian place). The holes I have are regular 11/16" (17-18mm) holes.

I note that they're screw in bushings rather than push in ones. Does that render any small amount of play (according to these figures - worst case 1/16" and probably 1/32") in the holes irrelevant?

I've decided that I dislike push in bushings. I got a set of Schallers once and the bushings just fell in the holes. No play as such, but no grip either. Had to get creative. Ach.

Neeph,

Screw in Tuner bodies are WAY better. My advice is sit them in the holes in your head stock- Lightly tighten them and then mark the locating screw holes on the flip side. Take e'm off clean the wood. Puthe them assembled back in the holes do up the screws on teh back and then finally tighten teh nuts on the string side of the body shank.

Push-in anythings depend upon the hole being slighty undersize (interference fit) if it isnt it wont work hence your earlier Schaller experience.

With a screw shank, you always have the option of using a (sligthly) larger washer and exerting sligthly more pressure to keep it all in line. Very secure set up.

PS Many Happy returns!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='111477' date='Dec 31 2007, 01:48 PM']Neeph,

Screw in Tuner bodies are WAY better. My advice is sit them in the holes in your head stock- Lightly tighten them and then mark the locating screw holes on the flip side. Take e'm off clean the wood. Puthe them assembled back in the holes do up the screws on teh back and then finally tighten teh nuts on the string side of the body shank.

Push-in anythings depend upon the hole being slighty undersize (interference fit) if it isnt it wont work hence your earlier Schaller experience.

With a screw shank, you always have the option of using a (sligthly) larger washer and exerting sligthly more pressure to keep it all in line. Very secure set up.[/quote]

Cool, I think I'll go with the Titans.

[quote]PS Many Happy returns![/quote]

Thank you :)

Taking it to a more generic level, with screw in bushings, is it true that it doesn't matter if the holes are a little bigger, as long as the washer has a good grip of the wood on the face of the headstock, everything will be fine when you tighten up? I have a neck with 15mm holes bored in when most of the small, light tuners (like Gotoh GB7s for instance) require a 14mm hole. I could bore bigger to 17mm for larger tuners, but I don't really want to - it's a rather small headed 5 string.

Is it better to locate the tuners towards the nut in a slightly too big hole? Like this:

rather than this:

(black is the hole, red is the tuner+bushing - exaggerated for the purposes of illustration)

N,
If it were me I'd make a sleeve to go around the shaft, (out of old credit card or similar) rather than leave a gap, but if thats not a go then the top of your 2 optiions is teh better as teh shaft will be supported along its length.

As for your Grovers..... bad luck that one... Stay calm ring up and complain and send tham back.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='113261' date='Jan 3 2008, 11:16 PM']N,
If it were me I'd make a sleeve to go around the shaft, (out of old credit card or similar) rather than leave a gap, but if thats not a go then the top of your 2 optiions is teh better as teh shaft will be supported along its length.

As for your Grovers..... bad luck that one... Stay calm ring up and complain and send tham back.[/quote]

It's less than a mm all round, but I'll experiment with some materials before I mount them.

WD were sound as a pound about it, sending out a replacement today.