Why become a member? ×

Does anyone name their guitars.

metalmaniac

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='111465' date='Dec 31 2007, 01:25 PM']

Say hello to, from left to right: Indiana, Tonto , Captain Storm and Pietro.

Don't ask.[/quote]

WOT, I still think your collection is optic nirvana ;o)

I'm sad.. I used to name all mine. Now only Doodle and my old electric guitar have names. My new Shuker will have a name too.. after all, she will be Doodle's little sister.

I also go for girl's names just seems right, to me. *insert cheap innuendo about caressing.. hanging round ya crotch,G Strings etc etc etc* lol lol

Yep! me too, girls names :huh: My Geddy was ( we parted a while ago :) ) called Dirty Tracey, My Fretless (USA Jazz) is called Morag, my other USA Jazz is simply called Black Jazz and I've yet to name my CIJ Fretless Jazz mainly because it's not being shipped until 7th Jan :huh: but I was thinking of something like.... Love you Long Time, for her (CIJ)

[quote name='dood' post='111467' date='Dec 31 2007, 01:31 PM']I also go for girl's names just seems right, to me. *insert cheap innuendo about caressing.. hanging round ya crotch,G Strings etc etc etc* lol lol[/quote]
I'd have thought "fingering" and "popping" would have been far more obvious?
Most of mine are girl's names, usually after someone I know - the ones I have now are In Flames, Victoria, Morgan, Ave, Sarah-Jane, Carol, Jed, Dave and one as yet un-named I got a few days ago... any suggestions?
EDIT: Forgot all my other instruments! Catrin, Chloe, Stephanie, Lizzie... and I'm still probably forgetting a few
Names from the past are Amanda, Hannah, Sarah, Avril, Sar'ah, Hashcake, Jessica, Greippi...

Edited by queenofthedepths

I name the ones I build from parts or have custom-built. I figure they're one-offs so need names to make up for not having model names. But I don't re-christen basses with perfectly good names from their manufacturers.

So far I have The Bass Of Death, Ye Basse Of Olde, A Bass Named For The Decline Of Industrial Britain and now I have to think of a name for the frankojazz I've nearly finished.

I have Al the fretless Jazz 'Frankenbass' named after my dear departed little brother and Bill my Precision special named after the great Mr Sheehan. Im currently awaiting the arrival of a Squier precision (that is getting a willpower dimarzio put in it ) for use as a backup. Suggestions for a name would be welcomed

[quote name='Machines' post='111601' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:22 PM']No - I find it a bit weird :). They're just referred to by their model name.[/quote]
A practical reason for me to refer to mine by name is that some of them live at my parents' house and if my mum's picking me up from somewhere to go and jam with a mate, I can ask her to bring Victoria or In Flames or whatever... okaeey, so a simple description would probably work as well, but that would undermine my excuse for giving them names :huh:

When my gran died a while back, she left me a little bit of money. I put it towards a guitar i craved since i was a teenager, a Gibson SG standard. It only seems right to name it after her. I like to think a little bit of her spirit is in the mahogany.

I have Mavis Cudicini, my kit-build P Bass copy.

When I told the rest of the band that I was building it I was asked if I was going to give it a name and I said "Oh I don't really know" which sent them off into assorted Les Dennis as Mavis Riley impersonations. So it became Mavis.

Mavis is my backup bass so she comes along to all the gigs but never gets played, hence the acquisition of the Cudicini surname.

It has also been suggested that one of my other basses should be called 'Michelle MacManus' but the reasons for that cannot be disclosed on a family forum!

Yeah i have names for a few. Who said if you love something enough u will name it. i think it was Steve Bailey. All of mine are ladies.

My first bass is called Morag cause its a scottish name and it just suited it. My Alembic is called Jazzmine(said like the spice).

my six string is called synomine (said like the spice) but that was to do with the colour. I havnt named the others yet cause they havnt whispered there name to me yet.