Why become a member? ×

Why does my Jazz sound crap through my rig?

TDM

I'm currently running a MIM jazz (Stock apart from the Series/Parallel switch) through a Peavey MAX450 and an Ashdown MAG 115.
The thing is, I can't get a "classic" jazz tone out of it. It sounds way to honky in the parallel mode, and when its in series, its beefy and a great. but It sounds too much like a P-bass, which Is not what I'm looking for.

However, Ive also got this thunderbird type thing, which I built myself. Mahogany body, Maple neck, J+MM pickups (generic no-name brand ones I got off the bay and an old cheap plywood bass) And it sounds like how my Jazz should sound. Punchy, beefy, and not honky at all.

Is there something I should know about Peavey/Ashdown gear? I know that Ashdown rigs sound very beefy, and I found that Peavey's are more "transparent", but I don't see how it can make my previously average sounding thunderbird sound awesome, and make my previously awesome sounding Jazz less awesome.

Suggestions?

My old Laney practise combo had a built in compressor, but I don't think the Peavey really has one (unless you count DDT?) so could that be making a difference?
I've just got some new batteries for my little zoom Multi-FX, I might give that a shot.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='111563' date='Dec 31 2007, 05:23 PM']I'm currently running a MIM jazz (Stock apart from the Series/Parallel switch) through a Peavey MAX450 and an Ashdown MAG 115.
The thing is, I can't get a "classic" jazz tone out of it. It sounds way to honky in the parallel mode, and when its in series, its beefy and a great. but It sounds too much like a P-bass, which Is not what I'm looking for.

However, Ive also got this thunderbird type thing, which I built myself. Mahogany body, Maple neck, J+MM pickups (generic no-name brand ones I got off the bay and an old cheap plywood bass) And it sounds like how my Jazz should sound. Punchy, beefy, and not honky at all.

Is there something I should know about Peavey/Ashdown gear? I know that Ashdown rigs sound very beefy, and I found that Peavey's are more "transparent", but I don't see how it can make my previously average sounding thunderbird sound awesome, and make my previously awesome sounding Jazz less awesome.

Suggestions?

My old Laney practise combo had a built in compressor, but I don't think the Peavey really has one (unless you count DDT?) so could that be making a difference?
I've just got some new batteries for my little zoom Multi-FX, I might give that a shot.[/quote]

Probably the cheap pups in the MIMs is the problem.

Install a set of Wizards to give you the growl you search for, young Padwan.

[quote name='neilb' post='111593' date='Dec 31 2007, 06:57 PM']Probably the cheap pups in the MIMs is the problem.

Install a set of Wizards to give you the growl you search for, young Padwan.[/quote]

And the new rig amplified (no pun intended) this problem?

[quote name='neilb' post='111613' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:00 PM']Probably. Sh*t in, sh*t out, however good your amp/rig is.[/quote]

Well, you see the reason I ask is that through most other amps I've tried, it sounds fine. I just have a feeling its the Peavey/Ashdown combo thats screwing with me.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='111620' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:31 PM']Well, you see the reason I ask is that through most other amps I've tried, it sounds fine. I just have a feeling its the Peavey/Ashdown combo thats screwing with me.[/quote]

Ah, I see.

Edited by neilb

I can't give any scientific (or even an unscientific) reason but I do believe that certain bass/amp/cab combinations just 'work' and others don't. There is a certain synergy between some instruments and the rig that you use.

I have a few instruments and certain basses just don't work with certain amp/cab combinations that I've owned over the years. You could argue about body wood, pup or preamp selection etc and I couldn't argue but I can assure you that my basses do have good electrics in them and individually each bass sounds great through certain rigs that I've owned but at present my main gigging bass of 15 years standing is sidelined because my present amp and cab don't do it justice. Yet a bass that I've not used for a while sounds phenomenal through my present rig :)

Sometimes it just happens that things don't gel...

I'm not a great fan of the MAG cabs, although I do like the ABM range. The MAG cabs I owned always sounded a bit wooly and muffly and sucked any clarity out of the tone. The ABM cabs on the other hands I have found to be really good. I guess the only way of checking is using your amp with a different cab to see.

In my experience, my Tbird always sounded a lot bigger/fuller/meatier than any Jazz i have ever owned (MIM & Geddy Lee). Despite it being my cheapest bass, i cannot part with it, even though i don't play it now. I'm sure i'll pick it up again. I wish i didn't sell my '99 Jazz now.