Why become a member? ×

Dead Valve ?

Machines

Just went for a bash on my ABM - the valve circuit has ceased to function ! The further up I turn the knob, the quieter the signal becomes (since it's a hybrid circuit).

I did the best I could muster by taking it out, looking at it sternly and putting it back in, but alas it was the same.

Does that just sound a like a replacement valve is needed ?

[quote name='Machines' post='111590' date='Dec 31 2007, 06:53 PM']Just went for a bash on my ABM - the valve circuit has ceased to function ! The further up I turn the knob, the quieter the signal becomes (since it's a hybrid circuit).

I did the best I could muster by taking it out, looking at it sternly and putting it back in, but alas it was the same.

Does that just sound a like a replacement valve is needed ?[/quote]

If the valve does anything other than gently glow orange when the amp is switched on, then its likely that it has gone in some manner. Can you check it in a darkened room? 12AX7's aren't too expensive thankfully.

[quote name='Machines' post='111590' date='Dec 31 2007, 06:53 PM']Just went for a bash on my ABM - the valve circuit has ceased to function ! The further up I turn the knob, the quieter the signal becomes (since it's a hybrid circuit).

Does that just sound a like a replacement valve is needed ?[/quote]

Could be a good start - if you are up to it, take it the chassis out and see if the tube is at least lighting up... but don't blame me if death results...

:)

[quote name='Machines' post='111606' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:34 PM']I'm a computer engineer so it can't be too different, right ?!

I wasn't aware that they glow, I thought that was limited to all tube amps so I will check it out tomorrow.

Cheers chaps.[/quote]

I'll let you work out the difference of touching a motherboard running at 5v and 12v dc and touching an amp :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='111624' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:47 PM']I know theres a couple of Valvophiles on here and I'll never be one of them, but a warm glowing valve is a wonderful thing to behold......[/quote]
Nothing beats the smell of a warm tube amp, its nearly like the smell of a warm cat...

• 4 weeks later...