Why become a member? ×

DR DDT strings

bobbass4k

Just wanted to give an uncharacteristic plug. It was new string time and i've been playing in Drop C quite a lot lately so I was gonna get some heavy gauge high-beams, but came across these instead, so I bought a pack of these in my regular gauge (0.045-0.105).

They claim they're specially engineered or some such to provide better intonation and tension when detuning. I was a tad skeptical, but I'm glad I bought them. The intonation difference is noticeable, quick fret changes on the low C and G are a lot less muddy, but the main selling point for me is the feel, they somehow maintain pretty much the same tension in any tuning, I used to hate the slackness of playing in Drop C, and I used to get a lot of fret buzz, no more. They also stay in tuning magnificently, with my old strings I'd have to retune the low C every 5 minutes for a while until it kept it's tuning, not with these, tuned up once after I restrung and haven't had to do it since.

If you drop tune, you need these strings. That is all.

• 6 months later...

I bought some of these on your recommendation -- thanks, bobbass4k.

I'm depping with a band who tune to D/drop C. I stuck some DDTs of my usual size on and they're great -- the bass didn't need tweaking and they feel just like standard strings with no flapping.

I love 'em.

Cheers

Mark

How are they for general use..............I'm looking to try new strings for my Smith, my previous faves ( Elixirs ) just don't seem quite right.

Should add I am going to try some Smith strings as Uncle Ken says they are the bestest...well he would eh :) Just can't really decide which Smith strings to try.

Should also further add that until fairly recently I was of the opinion that the older the string the better......but I have seen ) or heard ) the light !!

S

Another recommendation for DDT's here, I use the heavy 5-string set, £40 is a bit painful for the set but they have such a great feel compared to any other string I have ever used that I can't have anything else right now.

We tune down 2 semitones, i.e. to A-D-G-C-F.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bumping up a 4 year old thread, but I've begun playing in a band where we tune to C# (that's all strings down three semitones, rather than drop C#) and I'm having some problems with the way the feel of the strings. I use heavy-gauge Rotos (50-110) on my P Bass when tuned to standard, and I'd read on here that they would cope with lower tunings, but the lower tension of the strings means that they vibrate more freely and there's a lot more buzz on the lower frets, even with the action raised.

Would I be correct in saying that by using the DR DDTs, I could tune to C# and still retain the feel of my old strings when they were tuned to E? There's far too much flap at the minute and I feel like I can't attack the strings as much as I'd like.

Also, how bright do these strings sound? My Rotos are steels and have been on for over 18 months now and I really like the tone of them, obviously new strings will be brighter to begin with and then settle down, but how do they sound out of the packet?