Why become a member? ×

What do you do when your hole's too big?

niceguyhomer

The hole for the strap button on one of my basses is too big for the screw. It's been plugged with matchsticks in the past judging from the evidence but now they're disintegrating and I need to do something else. I can't use a bigger screw cos I use Dunlop Straplocks and the button won't take a bigger screw so is it rawlplug time or should I fill the hole and re-drill?

What would you do?

Hi Al.

I asked my brother (who builds basses for a living) and the best option would be to clean as much of the hole as possible and fill it.

As for filling, the usual option is to fill with matchsticks and glue. This is usually the DIY route as materials are readily available. I'd/ we would recommend filling the hole with a hardwood dowel and make it fit the hole you have. If you have access to a reasonably reliable (as in 'true') pillar drill use that and a sheet of sand paper to reduce the dowel to the right size (slightly tapering if needs be to give a 'plugged' effect). This can then be glued into place using super glue or wood PVA like tite bond. Once it's gone off you can roughly trim the excess and sand flat.

It's worth doing well... take you time :)

Stu

+1 for Sir Finn Of Bass' cocktail stick method, substituting epoxy for his choice of adhesive. The pointed ends of cocktail sticks allow several to be used for larger holes, they can be tapped down to make a tight fit & cut flush (carefully!) with a Stanley knife blade.

Jon.