Why become a member? ×

How Many Gigs did you do in 2007?

birdy

i did 2. I also "engineered" at a 3rd. It was crap. I missed walker, texas ranger as well :) Now are you sitting comfortably? then i'll begin:
formed a band at beginning of the year, couldn't find a drummer for a couple of months, then we got a gig at school in march and the singer hadn't done any practices so i sang for all of the 2 songs we did, very varied as well, foo fighters and nirvana! We didn't use the usual guitar amp either so we had to use this crappy 30w marshall mg and a crappy zoom fx thing with a broken Footswitch button that sounded completely muddy and horrible. Mind you the playing itself was pretty tight (although it would be difficult to tell) and the crowd seemed to like us so that's good. The next gig was about 2 weeks later in a youth club, the singer did attend for this one but he needed his lyrics for half of the songs and the drummer was a bit off. No vocals in the original songs either. We did about 11 songs and it was alright too. Then we had to stop because the guitarrist was obsessed with his GCSEs (i know they are important but i really don't see why he couldn't just spare a couple of hours a week.) Then in the summer we did some practices, no gigs tho. We practiced through to about september then we we're lined up to be the support act for this band that had started about the same time as us but were doing much better and i blamed our problems and lack of gigs on the gutiarrist, to be honest i think it was both our faults for having conflicting ideas and always arguing. Anyway the band favoured him so i left. This "engineering" gig was for the same band with a new bassist (who is pretty sh*t) and their playing is much worse now but looks like they enjoy themselves a lot more. The other thing is that when i left i kept the band name and songs because i was the only one who contributed to either, now whether that's because i was too bossy or because they just didn't care about being in a band i don't really know, it's probably the first one though (It's a family trait)

[quote name='darwin' post='112358' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:41 PM']I've learnt to accept my Tinitus now and how to live it. At gigs I put my plugs in when I arrive at a gig and take them out after packing away. Maybe I'm a bit over the top but better safe than sorry !

I'm much less stressed according to my wife now I'm back in a band... :huh:[/quote]

Funnily enough i had a similar experience last year. About summertime i was proper pissed off because of it, kinda ruined my 2 month school holiday. I felt much better once i got back in school tho. In a way it was quite good because i've kinda learned how to not be distracted by stuff like it.

[quote name='chardbass' post='112284' date='Jan 2 2008, 01:49 PM']Thanks to my place of work (big holiday/entertainment resort in Somerset, begins with B, and isn't Pontins :huh: ) I played about 280 nights, 2 sets average.[/quote]

:huh: fook me!

Edited by EdwardHimself

About 35 - all but three (deps) with my two bands, Funkee Clawed (blues) and Somethin' Else (pub rock). Porbably equalled my lifetime gigs put together! :)

But missed out on the one I really wanted with Deke Leonard's Iceberg ;-(

Edited by Mickeyboro

I did 6, not helped by the MD of my former band walking out in March, and the band reforming into a new one and not getting a keyboardist until July.

However we've fallen on our feet since September and have set up 25 slots for 2008 with 19 already filled. We're all comfortable with that plus we get an extra £100 or more a gig above and beyond our base rate for slots #25-30.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='112616' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:29 PM']100? I thought I was busy having done 21.

You guys must be doing 2-3 a week.[/quote]
Yep, if I can. From next Sunday I've got 7 gigs in 8 days, and that's with 4 different bands! Like I said, I have to improve the quality. I really should be making the same money from 3 or even 2 gigs.

I joined a rock covers band in September 07 and we did 24 gigs up until Boxing night, already got 40 dates for 08 starting 19th Jan, so I'm pretty pleased I got involved with these guys. In comparison...my original band only managed to work 3 times in about 18 months and that's mainly due to musicians coming and going, hopefully 08 will be a little better on the original side of things :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='112922' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:14 PM']Indeed, Mr. Hunt.... one of the scene's longest-serving and most respected bands hoys the towel in. Shame.

Onwards and upwards![/quote]

Cheers MB. Indeed 'Onwards and upwards' were the words I originally typed in!

Not sure I could ever go back to covering the kind of ground that you do :) You have my respect for keeping that going... and don't you hold down a proper job?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='112928' date='Jan 3 2008, 02:21 PM']Cheers MB. Indeed 'Onwards and upwards' were the words I originally typed in!

Not sure I could ever go back to covering the kind of ground that you do :) You have my respect for keeping that going... and don't you hold down a proper job?[/quote]

Yep... a proper 9-5, and also a very demanding toddler t'boot.

I'll not lie - it's very, very trying on occasion, but.. I just can't say no. I keep battling thoughzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz