Why become a member? ×

SVT2 v SVT Classic

woodenshirt

Any Ampeg knowledge out there?

What is the difference, apart from a graphic eq and the rack mount, between the SVT2 and the SVT Classic?

Can you get the same rumbling growl through a SVT 810E with the '2' as you can with the 'Classic', or is it a totally different beast (more 'tone' less 'in yer face')?

If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mart.

Well SVT2 or SVT-II (not the newer "pro" version) amps are supposed to be very, very similar to original SVTs from seventies. A rackable SVT, just like SVT2-pro is rackable SVT-CL; it just has an overdrive feature and a parametric eq which CL doesn't have. I think you can't go wrong with any of these. Although some say SVT-CL doesn't have "the mojo". Okay, it's not the same as an SVT but I believe it's still a wonderful amp. Just play through it and you'll see.

Edited by galore

I got a SVT2 recently & it certainly has more GROWL than any amp I've ever had. I think it's punchier & cleaner-if U want it to be than the SVT-CL. apparently it's very similar in design circuit to the SVT-VR, The SVT2PRO is similar to the SVT-CL but with a graphic EQ & drive control...again I find my SVT2(non-pro) punchier. ALL are 300w all tube. The VR & MY SVT2 do not have a gain & master volume. Just a volume. The SVT-CL & SVT2PRO both have a gain/master vol. set up. +1......need to try as many as poss.

Well, an SVT CL and the SVT "Classic" as in the 70's are not the same amp. The SVT CL is Ampegs current long running version of the SVT workhorse. Then you have the new SVT Reisue, of the 70's "Classic" or, as Ampeg calls it, the "VR", with a bit of a different circuit more true to the "original" SVT.

I owned the Svt II, and powered two Hartke aluminum 15's with it. It was one of the best setups I have ever owned. I used the graphic eq lots on that amp. I alos played an Ampeg 810 bottom that was in our rehearsal space, (shared) one night. I was using a MM Stingray and preferred the tone of the Hartkes. I was into my, "twangy" sound back then.

I own an SVT CL with an 810 cabinet now. My CL is louder than any previous SVT that I have owned, (SVT II and a "Vintage" 70's SVT) The only problem I had with the II was one night I blew the rail fuses twice. I think it was a freak thing as it never happened again.

The SVT CL does have an overdrive, or "Gain" control, as well as the "Master".

Thanks for the replies... lots of good info.

It's difficult to 'try before you buy' with this kind of equipment - I'm not sure if the local music shop could cope with a serious try out! (plus there is the issue of collateral damage to other shops nearby). :)

Hmmm...... lots of things to think about. Anybody else got any opinions/views on the subject?

In the meantime I'm going to look for some willing(?) mugs (sorry.... I mean mates) to help me carry my new Ampeg rig, if/when I get one.

Thanks again,

Mart.

The SVT2 I have & I s'pose the newer SVT2PRO-both 'rack mountable' have a smallish 'footprint' & IMO are EASY to pick up & move. I find my V4BH-even tho almost 1/2 the weight- just as hard to move, simply due to its shape(it's the exact same shape,size & design as the SVT-CL-but 40lbs instead of nearly 80lbs) I'm still debating whether to 'rack mount' my SVT2 due to it neing SO easy to move atm...& adding the rack case would add lbs & size. BUT would of course protect! hmmmmmmm. ???????? I'm the only one to load/move my amps so I don't have to worry there, but a stray mic stand etc could easily break off a knob, scratch etc... Hopefully I can find a small, light rack case that can handle the SVT2's 75lbs. BTW I'm 45 y.o. & NOT a big guy at all - 5'8" & i don't find handling the SVT2 hard at all, & the NV610 cab is easier to move than all the 410's I'd had B4.