Why become a member? ×

EBS All Tube 450W Head

EBS_freak

For those who haven't seen it yet...

EBS and their new 450w all tube head...

...goes nicely with their Classic cabs don'tcha think? Will it be enough to drive people from their Ampegs? The jury is out...

[size=1]...rumour also has it that there *may* be some digital amps coming out also to rival the superflys and little marks of the world...[/size]

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='G-bitch' post='113041' date='Jan 3 2008, 05:01 PM']Are you sure it's 450? The cost of producing something so powerful is almost wasted money considering anything over 300w all valve is struggling to be usable, even in a stadium environment![/quote]

See previous post... but while we are on the subject... check this out -

[url="http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html"]http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html[/url]

1000W tube out of only 4 bottles. Check the size of the output transformer on that beast!

Looking forward to a test drive, but...

...I get nervous above 300 watts or so...
(It is about stable supply of 700+ plate volts...
...and quality of valves available...
...and the pain of warranty issues/repair logistics on new designs. Currently, EBS just throw the broken bit away and give you an all new pre or power section - but they won't be able to afford that with valve stuff, will they?)

I had a couple of Hiwatt 400s. They were insane enuff - and at the limit safe performance from "traditional" design.
Still have one of those Marshall 375w '80s nightmares somewhere.
My Trace V6s put out about 340w and the V8 does a steady 400 peak.
My Hiwatt 200s are ample for most "real life" stuff.

It all comes down to pre and power headroom.
How much is enough depends on your playing style/dynamic range. (Hence the joys of a 2-channel amp allowing switch between different settings for finger and slap.)

Volume can come from efficient/more speakers.
Doubling your cabs makes more difference than doubling your output power.

Still, it may sound a-m-a-z-i-n-g...?!?!?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='113079' date='Jan 3 2008, 06:00 PM']Nothing on the EBS site yet but one online seller has them cheaper than the HD350! I recon they are getting it mixed up with the old classic pre-amp.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that, *somebody* told me that they are cheaper than the HD350 although official prices have not been released yet.