Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4B/SVT hire

joegarcia

[quote name='joegarcia' post='113089' date='Jan 3 2008, 06:12 PM']Hi,
Was wondering if anyone knew anywhere I could hire an Ampeg V4B or maybe an SVT for two weeks (18th Feb-March 3rd) for recording. Ideally near Bristol or possibly in West Wales (where we're actually recording).

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Ta's,
Joe[/quote]

Just thinking of saving you some cash but I have been involved in a couple of recording sessions where I have plugged straight into the desk to record... then in the mixdown process, a feed is taken from the isolated bass track into say, an Ampeg which is then recorded as another track. With the two track, the blending of the amp and the direct bass signal gives you a fat but precise sound (of course, you could choose to remove all of the DI from the mix if you wanted).

The advantage for you of course, is that you could hire/borrow/beg etc the amp for just a day for doing the recording of the amp. Just an idea for you to consider and potentially save you some cash (and yeah, I can assure you it does sound as good)

EBS freak has a good idea there. Unless of course U want the Ampeg all tube beauty sound to be with U while U R recording all yr trax. BTW I'm in Aus. so can't help U re hiring Poss. Watford valves might help U locate someone??? [url="http://watfordvalves.co.uk"]W.V[/url] www.watfordvalves.co.uk is it I think---click on the W.V link???????

Edited by rodl2005

Dunno wot happened to my 1st reply.... EBS... has a good point. unless U want the All tube Ampeg beauty to be there while U record all!!! ;-) I know I would. I'm in Aus. so no go there. Maybe [url="http://watfordvalves.co.uk"]watford valves[/url] could help point you in a helpful direction. link supplied

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='113307' date='Jan 4 2008, 12:30 AM']Just thinking of saving you some cash but I have been involved in a couple of recording sessions where I have plugged straight into the desk to record... then in the mixdown process, a feed is taken from the isolated bass track into say, an Ampeg which is then recorded as another track. With the two track, the blending of the amp and the direct bass signal gives you a fat but precise sound (of course, you could choose to remove all of the DI from the mix if you wanted).

The advantage for you of course, is that you could hire/borrow/beg etc the amp for just a day for doing the recording of the amp. Just an idea for you to consider and potentially save you some cash (and yeah, I can assure you it does sound as good)[/quote]

Yea good idea. Had considered this sort of thing. I would much prefer to have it for the whole session though if possible. I use a lot of fx and would want to tweak them according to the amp.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='113448' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:53 AM']Yea good idea. Had considered this sort of thing. I would much prefer to have it for the whole session though if possible. I use a lot of fx and would want to tweak them according to the amp.[/quote]

You could still do that during the mixdown process. Had a look through my book for Ampeg hiring but the closest I could get to Bristol was Newport, Gwent. :)

Probably not a help, because i'm in London, but i rented an SVT CL and Ampeg 8x10 (woohoo) from FX Rentals. They deliver, set up and then collect again (for a fee of course) or you can pick it up and take it back. I think they might only service London/Greater London though. Open 24hrs too.

[url="http://www.fxrentals.co.uk/"]http://www.fxrentals.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by Tee