Why become a member? ×

hi basschat

ngombe

Hi everyone.

I discovered bassworld shortly before it crashed out of existance, eventually got round to registering for basstalk just before the announced closure, and now finally I get round to posting my introduction here on the new new site. Just goes to show how a bit of strategic laziness can pay off.

Now I'm here I'd like to include a few odds and ends in my introduction..

firstly - thanks for the opportunity to post - I can see the trouble you guys have been through to get this site up. Appreciated.

secondly - a bit about me and my bass history. I've been playing on and off for nearly 25 years (first bass was a cheap P copy when I was 16). Pretty much stopped in my mid 20s when family took over. It's only been a few years since I started taking it seriously again and have re-learned most of my technique in order to accomodate my changing musical tastes. I now play fingerstyle (and occasional slap) in the funk / soul / pop genres more than my original pick based post-punk noise.

being a bit older also means I've got a bit more disposable cash (or I did have until...):
EBMM 'Ray (couldn't live without it )
Ashdown MK 500 amp (by far the best amp I've ever owned)
Cort A5 (nice thru-neck 5 string and less than £500 new)
Ashdown ABM cabs
pod xt pro

and amongst my backup / practice / for sale gear is
US Fender P bass (never quite got on with it)
EBMM SUB (great bass but obviously superceeded by the ray)
Ashdown ABM300 head (for the rockier sound)

I'm currently between bands, although I have a couple of 'projects' on the go and a regular weekly jam. Last year I played for a friend who headlined the Birmingham 'women in music' festival, but the band dissolved shortly after that.
I'd describe myself as 'intermediate' - I can pick up and join in with most popular music. I still have the odd lesson to keep me improving and I practice most days so hopefully I'm getting better.

Fav bass players include Bootsy, Bernard Edwards, Doug Wimbish, Paul Denman (Sade / Sweetback), Larry Graham and James Jameson. There's countless more but those names spring to mind for a quick list.

Probably enough waffle for an intro, hello again to everyone and well done again for the new site. Thanks also for the many entertaining and informative threads on the previous sites.

Joe (ngombe)
Birmingham UK.

Hi Joe
Welcome.
I'm also from Birmingham, so with a bit of luck i may see you at the Birmingham bass bash.
(still trying to make that day free).

You have a nice selection of gear there as well as a similar taste in bass players too.
It would be nice to see you, to see you nice !!! (at the bass bash).

hope you can make it to the bash Bernmeister.

I've only been in Birmingham since last august - I'm liking the music scene a lot here. Went to see 2 bands last wednesday (Mutha funkas and Kane - I may have got the names wrong?) - Both had fantastic bass players (one of them is a mate of mine but he plays in so many bands I can't keep up).

I'm off to see Antibalas on sunday - they're playing just up the road from me in Kings Heath. well worth checking if you don't know them:

[url="http://myspace.com/antibalas"]http://myspace.com/antibalas[/url]

Please let me know if you've got any recommendations for more local bands.

Ta

Joe