Why become a member? ×

VU Bulb on Ashdown ABM

AnalogBomb

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone could tell me where to find the bulb that lights up the VU meter on an Ashdown ABM EVO ii 500? I've looked high and low for the little blighter and can't find it anywhere!

The lovely guys at Ashdown sent me new bulb as mine decides when it wants to light up but having had the meter gauge and head out, it remains illusive!

Thanks!

When you find the bulb, ditch it for a LED (and resistor in series - I don't know the rating of the bulb so can't help you as to what value resitor you will need) - it's daft having a bulb in an area that is prone to vibration.... and having a LED in there is alot more reliable than a bulb!

[quote name='bumnote' post='996055' date='Oct 21 2010, 03:28 PM']You need to phone ashdown when it happened to me they sent one foc and I had to solder it in. Its not a conventional bulb[/quote]

I think the problem is that he can't find the lamp in the amp to replace!

Doooh its a bastard getting old, I must learn to read posts properly

Take out the 4 screws,
pull out the vu meter
at the back there is a piece of grey rectangular plastic held at the back between 2 clips it has 2 wires going to it
unclip it and the bulb is soldered between the 2 wires

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

[quote name='kenmeg' timestamp='1386657231' post='2302662']
I'm going to replace my burnt out lamp with a led just need to workout what size drop down res. I need.
[/quote]

Formula is here if anyone wants it:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224631-fafner-lamp-mod/page__view__findpost__p__2313697

• 2 years later...

Hi, just reopening this topic.
I recently bought a second hand EVO II (uk manufactured) and the VU Meter bulb flickers on and off all the time. Nothing wrong with the output from the amp at all, but the flickering light is annoying.

I've tried as others have suggested, removing the 4x screws from the front plastic in front of the vu meter, but they are firmly in place and just turning - 1x of the philips screws is badly worn so I am assuming the previous owner/s had already tried at some stage. Is there another way I can access the vu meter maybe from the back? My amp is one of these ones that fits into a Gator case, so has a chrome front.

If anyone can help or provide any suggestions I would be very grateful?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='jaketheape' timestamp='1464635230' post='3061039']
I recently bought a second hand EVO II (uk manufactured) and the VU Meter bulb flickers on and off all the time. Nothing wrong with the output from the amp at all, but the flickering light is annoying.

I've tried as others have suggested, removing the 4x screws from the front plastic in front of the vu meter, but they are firmly in place and just turning - 1x of the philips screws is badly worn so I am assuming the previous owner/s had already tried at some stage. Is there another way I can access the vu meter maybe from the back? My amp is one of these ones that fits into a Gator case, so has a chrome front.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Take the amp out of the case. Just like if the amp was a head version just remove it for access to all the internals. Or take the top off if it's a stand alone version.
I don't know why people have had issues as its pretty clear you have to get inside to access the rear of the vu meter.

[quote name='jaketheape' timestamp='1464635230' post='3061039']

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Take the 'lid' off the amp and get at it that way.

If memory serves, the bulb is mounted on the PCB which sits right behind the meter. The meter is held in place by this PCB, though if memory serves there is some mastik adhesive one has to prise off to release the meter from the front bezel. So first step is to remove the PCB behind the meter (curses Red Baron !), then carefully prise out the meter and the bulb is right behind it. The bulb is soldered to the PCB. It's really not easy !

LD

Edited by luckydog