Why become a member? ×

Idea for Build

Tait

OK, I'm planning on doing a shuker build, so I want to know what you think of my idea. I don't know much about what woods or anything are good together, so I wanted to see what you think. Heres the basic idea:

Single cut ash body
p bass sized wenge neck with wenge fretboard
some sort of 2 band EQ
seymour duncan ceramic musicman pickup
volume/treble/bass controls

I'm not sure about ash and wenge going together, for starters. You don't see them together, why is that?

I've never played a single cut before, I just want one because they look cool. Do they change the sound and do they feel different to play than a double cut?

What sorts of 2 band EQ would you reccomend that shuker will stock? I don't know anything about electrics, so say what you like.

Also, I like the tone I get from my dad's stingray. Will I be able to get a similar sound from this build? Are there any pickups that are better at impersonating a stingray stock pickup than the duncan?

Edited by lwtait

Warwick offered the Corvette standard in the ash body + wenge/ovangkol neck combination-
[url="http://www.bmusic.com.au/links/prodnews/archives/warwickcv.htm"]http://www.bmusic.com.au/links/prodnews/ar...s/warwickcv.htm[/url]

Edited by SJA

[quote name='lwtait' post='113756' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:07 PM']OK, I'm planning on doing a shuker build, so I want to know what you think of my idea.[/quote]

Congrats.. the spec sounds very good ;o)

[quote name='lwtait' post='113756' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:07 PM']I've never played a single cut before, I just want one because they look cool. Do they change the sound and do they feel different to play than a double cut?[/quote]

Yep, they are very cool.. although they seem to prevoke a Marmite reaction lol.. but mebbe thats a good thing.. better than going unnoticed!
Do they change the sound? well as it has been debated to death.. I still don't think the extra bit of wood will make the slightest bit of difference to tone. I think the differences between two lumps of body Ash will have a greater effect on the tone of the instrument than the additional upper horm block.

However, I do think my SC feels different to how my double cut Shuker did. You don't have an upper horn digging in to your chest! - You might wanna check that you are happy with the heel shape too, if like me, you like to play north of the border/ up the dusty end.

Some have suggested that the extra wood attached to the neck on a neck thru SC makes for a stronger body/neck join. Can't argue with that really.

[quote name='lwtait' post='113756' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:07 PM']What sorts of 2 band EQ would you reccomend that shuker will stock? I don't know anything about electrics, so say what you like.[/quote]

Thats an easy one! I highly recommend Shuker's own preamp. He has a modular system that allows you to tailor to your needs. 2 band / 3 band / switching options etc. I understand Jon has some tech-boffin-geekaloids who help him with the product and it is ace!

You could also check out Seymour Duncan . Aguilar / Bartolini and EMG for their own preamps.

[quote name='lwtait' post='113756' date='Jan 4 2008, 09:07 PM']Also, I like the tone I get from my dad's stingray. Will I be able to get a similar sound from this build? Are there any pickups that are better at impersonating a stingray stock pickup than the duncan?[/quote]

All down to opinion my friend! The Seymour is a fave, but you have soooo many options. Flea liked a Lane Poor (MM style) pup in his Modulus (IIRC) - I have also heard very good things about Delano too, who do a MM pup as well. By coincidence, Jon Shuker is now an official outlet for Delano pups.. so guess whats going in my Shuker? lol!!

I can almost hear the tone that your spec suggests. Mmmmm... nice!!!

I'm sure you have had a listen to the basses on Jon's site? [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/sound.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/sound.htm[/url]

The first bass hass Delano dual rail pups .. also look at the second to last bass, with an MM pup on, which I understand is still owned by our very own 'Dr.Dave' who maybe willing to descrscibe the tone a bit more.