Why become a member? ×

Lakland Limited Editions

NancyJohnson

I've followed Steve Barr's (Dudepit) activities for a while and got to thinking about these Skyline DPLE models he got going in recent years. He's mentioned previously that Lakland need (I think) 25 orders for a custom request model to be built and made available.

As some of you know, in a couple of months I will be mortgage free (yay!) and will be looking to boost my bass armoury with a Lakky (or two) and got to thinking that why don't we try and commission a BCLE model? There certainly seems to be a few Lakland fans on this forum, but whether they'd be willing to part with £1,000+ for a bit of history is questionable though. I certainly wouldn't mind getting the ball rolling and make some preliminary enquiries to Lakland to find out their minimum order quantity is for a limited run.

Seeing as how I thought of this (heh), my primary request would be that I get model #1 and that it would be for an edition of the DJ5, custom colour, but NO Dark Star pickups. Perhaps we could get John East in on the act to retrofit his superb retro units once they are in the country (this might also save on some tax and duty).

I know there would certainly be a waiting period of six months or so, so there's no real rush...I know that they'd need a deposit on order.

Anyone interested in doing this?

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

I'd be interested, depending on price and what can be agreed in terms of specification. If it's just going to be a standard DJ5 in a custom colour with a J-Retro fitted then there doesn't seem much point, there needs to be something else unique about the spcification - maple board with black blocks or P/J or J/MM pickup configuration for example.

Also, aren't the DPLE's ordered through an associated music store, so presumably someone's turning a bit of profit there too so if Lakland will deal direct with us, perhaps it might not cost quite as much and presumably the import tax needs only to be on the cost price not the full retail price.

I applaud the initiative (and I'm not trying to urinate on your bonfire) but I think you may well struggle to find 20-25 people on this forum prepared to agree to the same spec for a Ltd Ed bass!

I'm just trying to keep it real so that you don't expend a lot of time and effort into putting this in motion. I'd suggest that you ask if there are 25 BCers who are prepared to purchase a new Lakland, with a set simple spec i.e. metallic paint with maple board OR natural maple body with rosewood board. If people can't even sign up to that you'd save yourself some time. saying that if you are about to be mortgage free you may have loads of time on your hands :)

Good luck :huh:

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='P-T-P' post='114015' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:14 PM']Also, aren't the DPLE's ordered through an associated music store, so presumably someone's turning a bit of profit there too so if Lakland will deal direct with us, perhaps it might not cost quite as much and presumably the import tax needs only to be on the cost price not the full retail price.[/quote]

As far as I know Steve Barr has had (or had) a very tight relationship with the guys at Lakland for some time, he was a bass trader and the basses he supplied as part of the DPLE range all went through him (if anyone else knows differently, please reply).

Insofar as any particular model, specifications could be firmed up...it simply wouldn't have to be a DJ05 with a j-retro, because let's face it, you can get Skylines in this configuration off the shelf anyhow.

P

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='114036' date='Jan 5 2008, 01:54 PM']I applaud the initiative (and I'm not trying to urinate on your bonfire) but I think you may well struggle to find 20-25 people on this forum prepared to agree to the same spec for a Ltd Ed bass!

I'm just trying to keep it real so that you don't expend a lot of time and effort into putting this in motion. I'd suggest that you ask if there are 25 BCers who are prepared to purchase a new Lakland, with a set simple spec i.e. metallic paint with maple board OR natural maple body with rosewood board. If people can't even sign up to that you'd save yourself some time. saying that if you are about to be mortgage free you may have loads of time on your hands :)

Good luck :huh:[/quote]

Hey, being mortgage free doesn't mean I'm stopping work...we've just been left a ridiculous amount of money following a family bereavement. We're twenty years into the mortgage and while we've been pretty prudent, our endowments aren't on track and we've been overpaying. It's been a nightmare to be honest.
P

I have been considering pm'ing phsycoandy all morning about his Lakland thats for sale in the basses for sale forum. a lovely bass but in the end the colour is'nt me. :) It's the six month waiting thats putting me off. i have the money and need another bass now, otherwise i might have been tempted.

I suppose thats worth a thought. can you point me in the the direction of something half decent. :) bearing in mind i'm a bit of a Fenderhead. i'm thinking of bidding on this but it may get out hand bidding wise, sorry to go off topic.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-51-Precision-Bass-P-BASS-w-OHSC-jazz-metal-punk_W0QQitemZ320203415703QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-51-Precision-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='114123' date='Jan 5 2008, 04:08 PM']I suppose thats worth a thought. can you point me in the the direction of something half decent. :) bearing in mind i'm a bit of a Fenderhead. i'm thinking of bidding on this but it may get out hand bidding wise, sorry to go off topic.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-51-Precision-Bass-P-BASS-w-OHSC-jazz-metal-punk_W0QQitemZ320203415703QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-51-Precision-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url][/quote]

[b][size=7]Oh how I hate that Shouty big text on eBay listings[/size][/b]

I contacted Lakland direct about buying one of the '[url="http://www.lakland.com/basses/decade.htm"]Decade[/url]' basses (I think they look fabulous) & they were more than happy to supply direct to me in the UK ($2,500 + shipping + duty) - but has already been said, I can't see that you'll ever get 20-25 people to agree on the spec of a custom bass...

Edited by 99ster