Why become a member? ×

Removing a nut

Jono Bolton

It could be glued in, or it might just be a tight fit.

First protect the fretboard and neck around the nut with cardboard and masking tape.

I would then suggest cutting down around the front and back edges with a razor blade (to ensure that it is detached from the fretboard) and then tapping lightly from the sides with a suitably sized wood block to push it out sideways.

Some people suggest using a heat gun to heat and melt any glue. This might help if you have one. If it's really stuck you can cut the nut sideways across the direction of the fretboard until you almost reach the bottom, then collapse the nut in on itself.

Check this link [url="http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/A-NUTS.html"]Stewmac.com[/url]

It's glued I think. I gave it a good hardy tug with my pliers/string cutters but it's going nowhere. I spoke to my tech guy, he says he's going to make me a new one, from metal or bubinga or a similarly hard wood, so I reckon I'll just leave it in for him to remove. He'll know what's holding it in seeing as he put the nut in there in the first place.

[quote name='BOD2' post='114190' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:27 PM']If it's really stuck you can cut the nut sideways across the direction of the fretboard until you almost reach the bottom, then collapse the nut in on itself.[/quote]

+1 for this technique especially if you have a finished headstock or lacquered maple necks.....