Why become a member? ×

Wayne Shorter and the Liverpool Philharmonic

steve-soar

I've just recovered enough to write a few lines about last night. My wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets for the concert last night and only five rows back, we were able to witness a very personal performance of some of, in my opinion, one of historys greatest compossers and saxophonists pieces.
The Wayne Shorter Quartet included Brian Blade, drums, Danilo perez, piano and John Patitucci on double bass. Behind them in this stunning Art Deco concert hall were the mighty Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra playing Shorter's amazing score. The Quartet were leading this mighty orchestra through some of the most transendentlal, cosmic, life affirming sound scapes I have ever heared and leading all of this was the master himself supported by the Phils conductor.
John Patitucci was amazing, so dynamic, emotional, humorous and appearing absolutly in his element. The power and phyisicallity of the Quartet sent seismic waves to the orchestra which in turn rebounded to the four resulting in a room that had an unbelievable amount of energy.
After TWO standing ovations the players left the stage and my life was changed forever.
We bought Special Chow Mein and chips on the way home...... what an enchanted evening.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

I was there as well. A bit dissapointed that he didn't play anything off of "Slippery when Wet" though.

Edited by TheBigBeefChief

I was there on saturday!!! what a night? did anyone else stay to see thomas lang after???
wayne is the master of effortless mastery, out a sea of notes wayne can pick just one note that kills you. his phrasing is amazing, so emotionally driven but void of all crap!
i doubt i will see him again, he looked very frail and weak when not playing. hope he stays with us for another generation to experience his beauty.
didnt realise so many people from here were going, we should have hooked up!
wayne is the master for me at moment