Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline - what's the quality like??

Jamesemt

Gong to get a Jazz in a month or so, and was considering a highway 1. Just branching out my search, I realise the 'proper' Laklands are a bit special, but what about the Skyline series? Are they more Epiphone than Gibson? (Was going to use the Squier analogy, but the Vintage reissues are quite nice :) ).

Anything else to look for apart from CIJ (got a CIJ P which is ace). G&L maybe? Budget is £600 to £800 max.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='114590' date='Jan 6 2008, 11:31 AM']Gong to get a Jazz in a month or so, and was considering a highway 1. Just branching out my search, I realise the 'proper' Laklands are a bit special, but what about the Skyline series? Are they more Epiphone than Gibson? (Was going to use the Squier analogy, but the Vintage reissues are quite nice :) ).

Anything else to look for apart from CIJ (got a CIJ P which is ace). G&L maybe? Budget is £600 to £800 max.[/quote]

Quality is excellent- as good as anything else I've owned (if not better). You really won't be disappointed if you buy a Lakland.

Having owned a number of Musicman basses and now having three Skylines I reckon the build is comparable for a good deal less cash. It would take a lot to make me part with mine. You will not be disappointed.

[quote]Most Skylines arrive at the Lakland factory fully finished, except for electronics. Lakland luthiers inspect each bass and do refinements according to an incredibly thorough set-up procedure that ensures each bass has proper string alignment, neck relief, fretting, tuner installation integrity, etc. The Skylines are then installed with the same electronics as the US models (except for the 01 models which are shipped with Korean electronics.) No Skyline bass leaves the Lakland facility until it’s properly set up and in prime playing condition.

We know the customer might not consciously notice it if the refinements weren’t done, but we believe that this incredible attention to detail is the reason most players consider [b]Lakland Skylines higher in quality than most mass produced American-made basses[/b].[/quote]

Im my experience the QC does compare to US Fenders.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='114593' date='Jan 6 2008, 11:34 AM']Quality is excellent- as good as anything else I've owned (if not better). You really won't be disappointed if you buy a Lakland.[/quote]
+1

The build quality on my Lakland DJ5 skyline series is every bit as good as the build quality on my Fender Roscoe Beck 5, which is USA made...

I have a 44-02 Deluxe skyline, and it's fantastic.
Having said that, I've never tryed a US Lakland.......having said THAT, the Skyline doesn't leave me wanting to try anything else, so go figure! :)

Suffice to say, its pretty unbeatable for the price i payed (second hand)

Si

I have a rather special one for sale on this very forum, and its within ur budget, if u want a Jazz neck this has the slimest you will find.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10792"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10792[/url]

the build quality is solid! typical bomb proof modern american design! ala sadowsky and musicman!
i personal dont get on with the lakland basses! the necks are too wide and slim, not ergonomic for me.
i also found the tone to be a little dull, probably the barts they use!!!

if it suits you then your onto a winner, but its just a matter of taste. there is no right or wrong. many people swear by the skylines.
good luck

I would say that the Lakland Skylines are on par (if not a lot better than) the US Fenders. Excellent playability and I feel that they are better than most other basses out there for the money.

Seriously, if you like the necks of a Lakland, get a Lakland. You'll love it.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='116247' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:39 PM']Anyone know of a guitar shop in Yorkshire that stocks them? I'm based in Hull, but can travel...

Can't decide between LPB and white :) subject to me liking the neck of course.[/quote]

I think you'll struggle to find a shop in Yorkshire that stocks them. I'm coming to Hull one day next week (probably Weds), I don't mind sticking my DJ4 in the boot if you want to try and meet up so you can try it. If you like it, you can buy over t'internet.

Let me know if you want to do so.