Why become a member? ×

Pedal tuners - which one?

Hamster

Having migrated to 5 strings I find my Boss TU-2 sometimes finds it dificult to lock onto a low B. I don't want to go to a rack mounted tuner, so what's the best pedal for me?

Taverymuchindeed.

Hamster

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='10867' date='Jun 2 2007, 01:12 AM']I do like my strobostomp2 a lot, but I would suggest just starting to tune with the 12th fret harmonic.[/quote]

Depending on how accurate his intonation is that could be a dodgy method.

[quote name='dave_says' post='10876' date='Jun 2 2007, 01:54 AM']Depending on how accurate his intonation is that could be a dodgy method.[/quote]

Why's that? Isn't the 12th fret harmonic basically a clearer tone of the open string?

The 12th fret harmonic will always be an octave higher than the open string however your intonation is set up. Incorrect possitioning of the bridge may mean its not exactly at the 12 fret but it won't affect the pitch of the harmonic in relation to the pitch of the open string. I always use the 12th harmonics for tuning as even my Korg rack tuner finds locking onto harmonics easier than open strings.

[quote name='Hamster' post='10923' date='Jun 2 2007, 09:38 AM']My intonation is spot on, I don't usually tune up that way - but I suppose I will if it'll save a few squid.

Is the Peterson strobostomp the one with a sort of blue LCD display panel?

Hamster[/quote]
seriosuly, get a zoom 506Ii multi effects pedal. it has one of the best chromatic tuners iv ever tried, and tracks down to b just fine, plus if your brave enough to actually put it into your chain, youl have plenty of effects too! i only ever use mine for the tuner these days, with its mute function and everythin it never lets me down

[quote name='BassManKev' post='10963' date='Jun 2 2007, 10:23 AM']seriosuly, get a zoom 506Ii multi effects pedal. it has one of the best chromatic tuners iv ever tried, and tracks down to b just fine, plus if your brave enough to actually put it into your chain, youl have plenty of effects too! i only ever use mine for the tuner these days, with its mute function and everythin it never lets me down[/quote]

I was going to suggest a Zoom B2.1u, excellent tuner (mine easily copes with a low :) and load of effects too.

Pete.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='10897' date='Jun 2 2007, 07:48 AM']The 12th fret harmonic will always be an octave higher than the open string however your intonation is set up. Incorrect possitioning of the bridge may mean its not exactly at the 12 fret but it won't affect the pitch of the harmonic in relation to the pitch of the open string. I always use the 12th harmonics for tuning as even my Korg rack tuner finds locking onto harmonics easier than open strings.[/quote]

Oh sorry I missed the harmonic part, I was thinking the fretted note. D'oh!

Edited by dave_says

The DT10 is highly recommended even though mine died just recently, which is just my luck. For some reason I can't power it from an adaptor so have had to use a battery instead. But aside from this it's a great tuner and defo recommended above the boss. Very accurate and doesn't tone suck.

Apologies for jumping into your thread, but on a related note, how do you all feel about leaving tuners inline between your guitar and amp? I have a tuner I'm very happy with, but started to notice that it was cutting out some of the frequencies when I left it inline permanently, even when switched off?

I would guess that a good quality pedal tuner would perform a proper bypass whenever it's footswitch was used, so this would solve/answer my question?

Russ.

[quote name='Hamster' post='10923' date='Jun 2 2007, 11:38 AM']My intonation is spot on, I don't usually tune up that way - but I suppose I will if it'll save a few squid.

Is the Peterson strobostomp the one with a sort of blue LCD display panel?

Hamster[/quote]
Yep, that's the one. Seriously, if you're happy with the tuner otherwise, don't do anything before you try tuning your B at the 12th fret harmonic. It's the same as playing the open note, intonation has nothing to do with it (as was already explained by others, so I won't get into that) and if you're happy with the results then that saves you any money you had decided to spend on a new tuner. Actually, using the 12th fret harmonic to tune might be even better, because it doesn't have the attack peaks you get with the open string (you know, where it jumps up to a pitch and then settles lower after a second or so).
The strobostomp is an awesome tuner, it's supposedly 30 times more accurate than most out there, including yours, and 10 times more accurate than Korg's DTR-1000-2000s. Of course, this means that you can never get it exactly perfect on the spot (I haven't had it for long so I don't know if you adjust with time). But it is indeed more accurate, your everyday tuner will get you in the same ballpark but the Peterson tells you much more precisely. This means that, even if you don't tune perfectly with the Peterson but only until you think it's "good enough", you're still more in tune than with other tuners. It's a great tool for setting up intonation and tuning your instrument(s) for studio work, on a gig or rehearsal it's not really needed IMO, unless you have perfect pitch and you can hear the difference. So, IF you can afford both, I'd say keep your pedal tuner for gigs etc and get a peterson (not necessarily the strobostomp which is a pedal as well) for fine tuning at home and at the studio, setting up intonation etc. Be forewarned though, it also doesn't track the low B very well, works great with the harmonic though so who cares (not me).

Edited by Dragonlord

[quote name='Gazm' post='10975' date='Jun 2 2007, 11:42 AM']I was going to suggest a Zoom B2.1u, excellent tuner (mine easily copes with a low :) and load of effects too.

Pete.[/quote]
the tuner is identical to the 506 II , the price isnt :huh:

[quote name='Painless' post='11037' date='Jun 2 2007, 02:47 PM']Apologies for jumping into your thread, but on a related note, how do you all feel about leaving tuners inline between your guitar and amp? I have a tuner I'm very happy with, but started to notice that it was cutting out some of the frequencies when I left it inline permanently, even when switched off?

I would guess that a good quality pedal tuner would perform a proper bypass whenever it's footswitch was used, so this would solve/answer my question?

Russ.[/quote]

My preamps and heads have a tuner out or link out. Just try that (if you have it) - your bass sends a direct signal into the tuner and your tuner doesn't feed your amp.

I've owned:

Korg DT-10
Peterson Strobe O Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss TU-12
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
Korg DTR2000 (Rackmount)

And various multi effects.

I have been able to directly compare the Planet Waves, Boss, Korg and Strobe O Stomp.

Firstly the worst of the bunch is the Planet Waves, whatever the specs say it is not as accurate as the Boss or Korg and the buffer in it causes some weird squeal when placed in an effects chain while muting and tuning.

Next the boss, the industry standard, great pedal, easy to see, does it's job and built like a tank. It's a good pedal and if I was in a band that only used Boss tuners I would pick one up.

The Korg DT-10 is a great tuner and more accurate than the Boss and the Planet waves, again built like a brick and looks fantastic in the new blue and black setup. I tuned with this and then the strobe o stomp and the differences were very very minimal, whereas the planet waves was way out :).

The Strobe O Stomp, the best, the most accurate and the most expensive. To me I feel it's worth the money as I also like the idea of having a DI as a backup. This pedal I A/B'ed against the Rackmount DTR2000 and it is more accurate than it, which is good because it's much cheaper in that respect.

So yeah those are rough summaries, if there is anything specific you want to know just ask.

Cheers