Why become a member? ×

Pedal tuners - which one?

Hamster

Ste, the guitarist in my band has been using the Planet Waves tuner for a while with an adaptor, but last rehearsal, he used it with a battery and everytime he left it in his signal chain, there was this loud high pitched screeching. I don't know if that's the same as the noise you mentioned, but is there anyway to get rid of it? (appart from the obvious idea of not leaving it in the chain, or using a looper to mute it)

[quote name='BigBassBob' post='13041' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:20 PM']Ste, the guitarist in my band has been using the Planet Waves tuner for a while with an adaptor, but last rehearsal, he used it with a battery and everytime he left it in his signal chain, there was this loud high pitched screeching. I don't know if that's the same as the noise you mentioned, but is there anyway to get rid of it? (appart from the obvious idea of not leaving it in the chain, or using a looper to mute it)[/quote]

Best solution I found to get rid of the high pitched squeal was to sell it :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='10963' date='Jun 2 2007, 11:23 AM']seriosuly, get a zoom 506Ii multi effects pedal. it has one of the best chromatic tuners iv ever tried, and tracks down to b just fine, plus if your brave enough to actually put it into your chain, youl have plenty of effects too! i only ever use mine for the tuner these days, with its mute function and everythin it never lets me down[/quote]

I think the tuner sucks. I've had my intonation set before (and yes it was as close to perfect as can be), used our guitarists zoom multi effects to tune up...hit a chord and it was a touch out of tune. After getting hold of someone elses boss pedal tuner to quickly check, I tuned up and it was fine. I can't stand any of the effects either but that is a personal matter.

I'm torn between buying a boss pedal tuner or a peterson strobostomp2...

Btw (and apologies for jumping the topic myself) but what's your experience with the POD's tuner? The guitarist in my new band uses a POD and tunes with it, and more often than not it doesn't sound quite right and doesn't seem to match my TU-2... It might be his guitar though, or maybe he's just a bit crap...

I use a TU-2 for live playing. Using a Peterson Strobostomp, I found it far too accurate, and meant I worried about tuning much more than I should have = longer tuning breaks trying to get it 'spot' on. The TU-2 is nowhere near as accurate, but accurate enough to sound fine to everyone listening (in my opinion, anyway). For recording I use the Peterson strobe. I've also owned a Korg DTR1000 rack tuner which was great, but died.

exactly, which is why my spending AGES getting my bass perfectly in tune with the strobe tuner was completely wasted time. Pedals like the TU-2 and DT-10 get you in tune quickly and without hassle to play live.

[quote name='Muppet' post='15630' date='Jun 11 2007, 05:04 PM']Accurancy doesn't mean squat if all the members in the band are using different tuners![/quote]
Well, on the other hand, if the bassist and guitarist for example use a tuner that is accurate to 3 cents, they can end up with tunings different up to 6 cents... whereas, even if only one is using a 0.1 cent accurate tuner, the total potential difference goes down to 3.1 cents.

DT-10.

Rock solid. Quick sensing the notes and the LED readout reacts quickly to turning the machine head.

I leave mine in-line, using a Uniross cheapo PSU and output from the normal output rather than the bypass output, with no loss of tone or signal aparrent to my ears. I like to check my tuning every few songs without being heard.

Bass -> DT-10 -> ME-50B (tuner has too few LEDs to be useful onstage in a hurry) -> Hartke VXL -> amp & PA.

Mark

Anyone know about the Artec 'Big Dots' tuner? Is it any good? Acurate?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.ie/Artec-Big-Dots-Tuner-Pedal-True-Bypass-Boss-korg_W0QQitemZ230144139660QQihZ013QQcategoryZ22669QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.ie/Artec-Big-Dots-Tuner-Pe...9QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I see Artec also do a graphic equalizer pedal with a tuner built in too!

[quote name='dood' post='20149' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:06 PM']Anyone know about the Artec 'Big Dots' tuner? Is it any good? Acurate?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.ie/Artec-Big-Dots-Tuner-Pedal-True-Bypass-Boss-korg_W0QQitemZ230144139660QQihZ013QQcategoryZ22669QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.ie/Artec-Big-Dots-Tuner-Pe...9QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I see Artec also do a graphic equalizer pedal with a tuner built in too![/quote]

I read a couple of reviews saying it's absolute rubbish.