Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Dingwall Afterburner :D

Jamesemt

Had to share it with someone. Everything just feels right about it.

For anyone unsure about the fanned frets, it's not an issue. It took me about ten seconds to adjust.

The main difference seems to be the clarity - the strings are now very close in volume/tone to each other even jumping positions. Chords sound a lot clearer and don't seem to 'throb' like on a regular fretted bass.

I'm well impressed - be interesting to see how it sounds with the band. Sorry only got an Iphone picture for now.

These Dingwall basses are becoming much more popular in this country now! I remember when they seemed to be a totally American trend. Still, they are beautifully made, but I'm not wholly convinced by their usefulness as a 4 string.

Against an old design like a Fender they do sound noticeably more balanced and even and they feel great too, but against a modern bass like a graphite necked Statii or a well made singlecut I don't find them to be worth the extra cash, so to speak.

Still, they are a design evolution (Novax fanned frets) and I commend them greatly for being so daring!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1011461' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:40 PM']Yep, defo one of my 'WANT' basses but I can't justify a new one just in case I don't get on with it. Just as a matter of interest... do you know what it weighs (actual weight, not Dingwall stated)?[/quote]

8lb...although there's another at Bass Direct that is 7 1/4...and is noticeably lighter than mine. Know what you mean about not getting on with it - that's why I drove 300 miles round trip to try it first...

I also tried some regular fretted basses which just felt wrong afterwards...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1011588' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:27 AM']8lb...although there's another at Bass Direct that is 7 1/4...and is noticeably lighter than mine. Know what you mean about not getting on with it - that's why I drove 300 miles round trip to try it first...

I also tried some regular fretted basses which just felt wrong afterwards...[/quote]

My ABZ 5 is ridicolously light weighing 7.12lbs!

Not sure what I feel about Dingwalls but you seem delighted so good stuff.

Might be a stupid question, but would one of those also benefit from the likes of compensated nut, true tempered fret placement, etc? How far can man take the fretted instrument?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1011707' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:29 AM']I think the concept is brilliant, and props to Dingwall for sticking to it as its spreading.

However, I dont think I can see myself getting one in the near future.

Nice bass btw![/quote]

Well my honest "financial" advise to you is: [b]DO NOT TRY ONE![/b] It'll knock your EBMM appreciation all the way down the drain as it did for me. I was lucky to be able to sell them all without loss except for the Stingray 5 which was after all 10 years old, but the Bongo 5, and the 25th sold very well as should the Big Al 5 when someone decides to buy it, if not I will retire it into storage for prosperity as I did with my two PRS basses and one day my son will inherit a nice group of valuable basses. Seriously Gareth though, if you try a Dingwall you will be very surprised.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1012062' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:03 PM']Here is a young Peruvian chap that has a very nice ABZ 5 and plays some wicked latin music on it.

[/quote]
GAAAAAH! That track has invaded my mind recently, and there it is again. I've been working through the Latin Bass Book, and that's one that just gets stuck in my head for days after playing it.

The Dingwall sounds nice though!

I've had my Dingwall Combustion for a couple of weeks now.

It's a ridiculously good bass. It's light, sounds great and the fanned frets are easy to get used to although it's a little more difficult up the dusty end! I tried several 5 strings before I got this and it knocks spots off them.

If you can try one then try one :)