Why become a member? ×

Cab Wars - Trace v Aguilar

Raggy

I have an Aguilar GS412 and love it to bits. Can't see myself ever needinganother cab. Dood said he'd compared it to two GS212's and I think he said that the two GS212's sounded even better. Worth going down to the Bass Merchant and trying them. Have heard really good things about Bergantino too though.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='115358' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:24 PM']Then you would be wrong as numerous threads on here have said.[/quote]
[quote name='Raggy' post='115365' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:34 PM']Want to elaborate?[/quote]
There are a couple of speaker gurus on here that have explained it all in the previous threads - maybe someone should write up a wiki on it so they dont have to repeat it. I think it is to do with the human ear not being very sensitive to low frequencies and it is actually the harmonics that we hear when listening to low bass - so you dont need a cab that goes down to 42Hz (the fundamental frequency of a bottom E). Plus all the frequency response quoted by most cab makers is pants.

From my own experience I got more low end from 2 Peavey 2x10's than I did from a 2x10/1x15. Plus mixing different sized speakers has unwanted sonic side effects - I think it is called comb filtering where the phase outputs from the different sized drivers interact to reinforce or cancel sound on a horizontal plane. This will manifest if you walk around when you are playing and hear different volume depending on where you stand in relation to your rig.

This might all be bollocks mind. Try doing a search on comb filter.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='116474' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:39 PM']There are a couple of speaker gurus on here that have explained it all in the previous threads - maybe someone should write up a wiki on it so they dont have to repeat it. I think it is to do with the human ear not being very sensitive to low frequencies and it is actually the harmonics that we hear when listening to low bass - so you dont need a cab that goes down to 42Hz (the fundamental frequency of a bottom E). Plus all the frequency response quoted by most cab makers is pants.

From my own experience I got more low end from 2 Peavey 2x10's than I did from a 2x10/1x15. Plus mixing different sized speakers has unwanted sonic side effects - I think it is called comb filtering where the phase outputs from the different sized drivers interact to reinforce or cancel sound on a horizontal plane. This will manifest if you walk around when you are playing and hear different volume depending on where you stand in relation to your rig.

This might all be bollocks mind. Try doing a search on comb filter.[/quote]

Cheers, interesting!

Thanks for the input everyone :)