Why become a member? ×

Simms Watt 100

Charla

Just reading the thread about valve amps which reminded me, I was given a Simms Watt 100 head, hugh thing. But it didn't have the power lead, which is a round three pin affair, anyone know where I can get one?

Cheers

Charla

Edited by Charla

That round 3-pin affair is known as a Bulgin socket, after the company that used to make them. I realise you want to get started ASAP, and it might seem a shame to alter a piece of vintage gear, but seeing as you haven't got the matching Bulgin plug yet, I would seriously advise you to replace the existing chassis socket with a modern Euro type (kettle plug). These old Bulgin things are no longer regarded as safe or legal, and with good reason: they're sh*t. The plugs don't have any proper strain relief system and were/are made of a brittle bakelite-type plastic which can get broken very easily, exposing live contacts. I know - I've seen it happen!

Also, given that the amp is an oldie and you've not seen it working, before you hook it up to the mains it would be wise to get it checked over by a valve tech anyway. Better safe than sorry. A stitch in time saves nine. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Act in haste, repent at leisure. It's a wise fool who.... oh, shut up. You get the gist.

Proper old spoilsport, aren't I? :)

Thanks for the advice, thankfully I live close do a guy who is wise in `all things valve' and will ask him to look at the amp and make any modifications. I'm not even sure if I'll use it, the bone player in the band had it `lying about' in his garage and just wanted to give it a home.

Cheers

Charla

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Charla' post='11500' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:56 PM']Thanks for the advice, thankfully I live close do a guy who is wise in `all things valve' and will ask him to look at the amp and make any modifications. I'm not even sure if I'll use it, the bone player in the band had it `lying about' in his garage and just wanted to give it a home.

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

Hi,
If it's of any interest, the guy who designed Simms Watts, Pete Tulett, designed and produced Peterson combos.

Rhino.