Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass pickgaurd colour help & advice please

Noisyjon

Hello All,
Happy new year, etc.

Right down to business.

I'm thinking of getting my dream bass made by Jon and have hit a stumbling block with the pickgaurd colour.

It's going to be a Classic Jazz bass with a trans white body with a natural non-tinted maple neck.
I initially wanted a W/B/W scratchplate but am now thinking maybe a nice Tort or B/W/B jobbie.

Any pictures and thoughts to help me out here please?

Rock on,

Cheers,
Jon.

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='115520' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:33 PM']I would go white... I think the tort looks better on p basses.[/quote]

on the other hand i love white with black scratchplate on a p bass and white with tort on a jazz. if anything i'd go for the tort, but have you thought about no scratchplate? i think that would look really cool.

My vote goes for tort!!

Black or white looks nice on white basses BUT a solid 'colour' one might look a bit weird on the trans white finish with the wood grain, would look better on a solid white, like the DJ above.

So all things considered, yup, a tort! lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='116146' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:31 PM']My vote goes for tort!!

Black or white looks nice on white basses BUT a solid 'colour' one might look a bit weird on the trans white finish with the wood grain, would look better on a solid white, like the DJ above.

So all things considered, yup, a tort! lol

Si[/quote]

aarrgghhhhh!!!!

Anyone got a white jazz with a tort scratchplate I could see please?

[quote name='Hamster' post='116572' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:27 PM']Sadly no - although I'm building a P bass Olympic white project with a tort plate at the moment :wub:

Hamster[/quote]

How's the bass building going for you?
I have been looking at Warmoth's web site and costing a bass myself!

The Warmoth stuff is quality, however for me, if I bought a lot of new quality parts and put them together (probably paying for a luthier to ensure everything is straight and true) then the final cost will be very near to buying a good quality bass off the shelf.

I try and buy secondhand and as cheap as I can, respray, re-wire and shield, polish, new set of strings and put a decal on it for gear snobs then see how it sounds/looks. If I end up with a player and a looker then I'm happy :)

Hamster